Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generation Y and faith, Huffington Post
Generation Y and faith, Huffington Post
Article addresses the falling rate of church attendance and the youth still in faith.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/10/...44548.html
RE: Generation Y and faith, Huffington Post
I only wish I could live long enough to see all the churches turned into Starbucks or something equally useful!
(May 15, 2013 at 11:34 am)Minimalist Wrote: I only wish I could live long enough to see all the churches turned into Starbucks or something equally useful!

You might, if you move to Canada. As if hockey and moose crossings didn't make it awesome enough, eh?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 15, 2013 at 11:34 am)Minimalist Wrote: I only wish I could live long enough to see all the churches turned into Starbucks or something equally useful!

No matter what holy place of whatever religion, I don't want all buildings or references to religion to disappear. Humanity does need a museum of bad claims to know how bad logic looks. Modern Egyptians keep the Pyramids without believing the sun is a god.

But I never see a day when religion completely goes away. I do think however we can push to minimize the damage it causes and foster more reason and science.

I say keep the Vatican and turn it into a museum to remind people that humans are always concocting superstition. Even in modern times new cults and religions are started.
No doubt that the Sistine chapel is worth preserving, but certainly not for its original purpose Wink.

As someone who's kinda halfway between gen x and y, I think I'd just say that it's far more socially acceptable to be non-religious now than it was even in the early 2000's when I was in school. Some teenagers these days are pretty well informed, what with the vast amount of information available on the interwebz.
Thinking
Yep that is the good thing. Superstition cant escape the scrutiny of technology. Once word gets out that it is all fiction the harder it is for the myth lover to defend it.
I don't trust anything coming from the Huffington Post.
(May 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I don't trust anything coming from the Huffington Post.

Why? Somehow I am smelling a conservative or Libertarian response to follow.
(May 15, 2013 at 11:48 am)Tonus Wrote:

You might, if you move to Canada. As if hockey and moose crossings didn't make it awesome enough, eh?

And Canadian Bacon....and Moose Head. Don't forget them.

(May 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I don't trust anything coming from the Huffington Post.

Yeah, yeah...we know Chad. You only trust your fucking bible.

Well, you could have pointed out that church attendance does not always correlate well with levels of religiosity and belief.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3866 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1244 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 933 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10961 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12254 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13256 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33088 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 204012 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet