Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learn Anything Yet?
Learn Anything Yet?
How has your participation on AF influenced your beliefs? Other members have prompted me to reflect more deeply on my beliefs causing me to change certain beliefs. Please share.

For the purpose of this thread, please save debate for other threads and hold your criticisms in check.

So I'll start: When I first joined I considered panpsychism to be the best theory of consciousness. As a result of my participation, I briefly considered property dualism before settling on property dualism.
RE: Learn Anything Yet?
I was pro death penalty when I first joined, but I now consider it an improper punishment for such a fallible institution as our justice system to implement.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: How has your participation on AF influenced your beliefs? Other members have prompted me to reflect more deeply on my beliefs causing me to change certain beliefs. Please share.

For the purpose of this thread, please save debate for other threads and hold your criticisms in check.

So I'll start: When I first joined I considered panpsychism to be the best theory of consciousness. As a result of my participation, I briefly considered property dualism before settling on property dualism.

I think you erred in your typing here.

I don't share a lot of my thought here on AF, in part because I'm not sure I want to share some of it in this context, and part because some of it is difficult to communicate, and I have no interest in developing an effective pedagogy for it (I don't consider doing anything with the ideas to be my business, I'm primarily interested in the thinking itself). There are also tactical and strategic reasons; I may not share something until such a time as it will be useful to do so, or because sharing it may otherwise expose other vulnerabilities.

I can't think of anything that I've explicitly learned from AF, but being involved and just reading the thoughts of others, I think, improves my thinking. About 2-3 years ago, I started participating in book clubs and discussion groups locally, and for much of that time on the forums. Most of my participation in serious discussions on the forums has been confined to the last year or year and a half. During that time, I've made substantial progress on numerous questions which for much of my life had just lain there inert, without my making any real progress on them. My most concentrated thinking, that on questions of cognitive science, occurred outside of the forums, as a philosophy group as well as several atheist or humanist groups have focused on philosophy of mind. (That's actually the cause of my being here. A few years back, I was dreadfully depressed, and looking for something to help me through it, so I started by re-reading the articles at talkorigins.org, because I find doing so enjoyable. Somewhere along the line, I got to reconsidering John Searle's Chinese Room problem, and it occurred to me that there must be philosophy groups at the local university that discuss such things, so I started looking online and discovered meetup.com [actually, rediscovered]. Meetup.com provides a website where people can host and organize special interest groups around whatever topic they like. I chose a philosophy group and started attending. Eventually, this led to atheist, skeptic, and humanist groups, and from there to looking to forums along similar lines.)

Anyway, I may just be forgetting things, but I don't recall specific influences, beyond being springboards for my own thinking. I think it has done a lot to increase the overall sharpness and general activity level of my mind, and I rather doubt I would have made the progress on these questions if not for that. Indeed, I originally spent most of my time on a forum that concentrates more on frivolity and personal relationships. Over the past year, I've found myself more and more drawn to participating in the serious discussions here (or just reading them; I read substantially more of the threads than I actually participate in). So my time here at AF has yielded handsome dividends, even over and above the simple enjoyment of having things to think about and an opportunity to be social. I just can't draw a line between specific AF experiences and those questions which preoccupy me; being here at AF has definitely given me food for thought, grist for the mill, and kept those wheels turning, and that has led to considerable learning on its own.

So, I guess the answer is, "yes."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I've certainly learned that religious people are crazier that I thought. I didn't think that was even possible.
I think I've learned a lot, but the one thing that sticks out the most is that I have actually calmed down a bit. I have never been angry at any god, but at those willing to deceive me I have indeed been. Being here makes me realize that unless someone actually poses a real threat to you, there's no need to get overly worked up about other people's faith.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I've learned a great deal. This was a great mistake, and now I am struggling to unlearn as much as possible Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: I've learned a great deal. This was a great mistake, and now I am struggling to unlearn as much as possible Smile
Lao Tzu Wrote:Every day in pursuit of learning, something new is picked up.
Every day spent in pursuit of the Tao, something is dropped.

We will make a Jedi of you yet, Padawan. Walk this way. We will make you a member of the Herefordshire Ministry of Silly Walks or my name isn't Tiberius.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm not going to go into a lot of detail in the interest of keeping it short. In general terms, I've learned to be more critical of my own assumptions.

That in turn has led to a reexamination of a number of positions, as well as moving some from the "known" to the "unknown" column.
(May 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I've certainly learned that religious people are crazier that I thought. I didn't think that was even possible.
This.

Not even CF.com has the level of illogical mindbogglingly irrational theists on here. If you think that sounded condescending, you're right.

Otherwise, in my short stay here I've learned more about physics.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I've learned that English libertarians are not as bad as American libertarians.

Unfortunately, I live in America so I'm pretty well fucked by the bastards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask me anything FrustratedFool 31 2039 August 30, 2023 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Yet another conspiracy?? Jehanne 8 654 October 14, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Learn the true mersey Angrboda 7 474 March 18, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Anyone know anything about smoke detectors? Brian37 37 2082 November 8, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2147 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2283 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Am I the only one who hasn't reset their clocks for Daylight Savings yet? Angrboda 5 286 November 24, 2020 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Not Yet R.I.P. Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 36 2713 August 8, 2020 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2337 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  (Yet Another) Tell Us About You Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2681 September 12, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Lucanus