Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairies, Good or BAD
Fairies, Good or BAD
Just curious as being Irish I was brought up with the old tales of the fairy folk, tricksters, drinkers of the blood of newborns, banshees, the pooka, etc. But Hollywood has largely changed the public perception, and people see fairies as little cute fuzzy things.

Any thougths?, seriously my grandmother would freak out if I was going to certain areas in case they would get me, she was catholic but she feared the fairy folk.
RE: Fairies, Good or BAD
Catholics still fear the fairy folk.

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/05/cat...-fast.html
For what it's worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RPGuYl8ddc
(May 24, 2013 at 8:19 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Catholics still fear the fairy folk.

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/05/cat...-fast.html

No Minamilist, but the last generation did, I've even heard some dismiss evolution even though accepted by the catholic church.
You can call me "Min." You seem like an okay guy.
(May 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You can call me "Min." You seem like an okay guy.

Thanks Min, can't shorter Terence too much further I'm afraid.
Haven't you ever seen Labyrinth? Looked for a clip but couldn't find it. Suffice to say, Jim Henson understood they were little bastards.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Fairies are real, dude. We have pictures.

[Image: 539w.jpg]
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm)Terr Wrote:
(May 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You can call me "Min." You seem like an okay guy.

Thanks Min, can't shorter Terence too much further I'm afraid.

"T" is probably pushing it, huh?
(May 24, 2013 at 9:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: "T" is probably pushing it, huh?
Actually no, quite a few address me in such a fashion, problem is all the Trevors think it's about them Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1734 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 368 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 474 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6483 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Good person/bad person Catholic_Lady 82 10689 October 23, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Vaccines both good and bad? goombah111 109 16318 December 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Bad mornings are bad Losty 137 9830 October 7, 2016 at 9:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Some bad physics from Bishop John Shelby Spong. Jehanne 10 2373 September 25, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  need a little support - bad boss day drfuzzy 21 4793 February 28, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Men Who are Bad at Video Games More Likely to Show Hostility to Women Pyrrho 21 4008 July 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: MTL