Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a dead baby enough of a wake up call?
Is a dead baby enough of a wake up call?
I think this explains itself... Disappointed
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...e/2359469/
I used to pray... but then I realized I could talk to myself and save 10% too. Who wouldn't go for that?ROFLOL
RE: Is a dead baby enough of a wake up call?
There is no wake up call for minds so compromised by religious doctrine. The only way for it to end is for the infected to die off.
Quote:"We believe in divine healing, that Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil's power," Herbert Schaible, 44, told Philadelphia homicide detectives after their ninth child, Brandon, died in April. Medicine, he said, "is against our religious beliefs."

Just another example of the vileness which is religion. Granted, these two fuckers are extreme examples. Of course, what does it say about the judge who bought their horseshit the first time?
Religion at its finest.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Amen.

Big Grin
(May 25, 2013 at 10:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:"We believe in divine healing, that Jesus shed blood for our healing and that he died on the cross to break the devil's power," Herbert Schaible, 44, told Philadelphia homicide detectives after their ninth child, Brandon, died in April. Medicine, he said, "is against our religious beliefs."
Just another example of the vileness which is religion. Granted, these two fuckers are extreme examples. Of course, what does it say about the judge who bought their horseshit the first time?
The horseshit the first time was that they wouldn't do it again. This time they say that, although they now know the child can die, they still won't seek medical advice. That's no longer reckless disregard (manslaughter), it's a planned act (murder).

The law can't do anything until parents like this lose a child, or have one so sick that the authorities feel that they can't ignore the situation. (But they have to learn about it to do something about it.) They can't take the kids away solely because "people of that Church" may not seek medical care if one of their children contracts a possibly fatal illness. Thought crime isn't illegal.

And if the parents play the "we sincerely believed the child would live, but we'll go to a doctor next time" card, many judges will err on the side of freedom of religion.

It's disgusting. They should have gone to prison the first time and the kids should have been adopted out - to people who "believe in" medicine.
It's about fucking time that we end the undeserved privilege enjoyed by those that resort to faith healing and put lives of those in their care in jeopardy.

I'm all for freedom of religious practice, but that support ends at the point where people who can't legally consent to belong to their happy fucking cult are harmed.

When I was in high school in the early 1980's, there was a family that lived a few blocks away. They had two children - I had grown up and gone to school with the younger son since grade school. Their daughter was a little older. The parents were "Christian Scientists". The daughter came down with pneumonia, and her parents refused to allow her to be treated. She was 17 when she died.

The son (who did not appear to share his parents religious convictions) was understandably very angry with his parents. Some time later, he killed both of them. He was released from prison about a year ago.

Three dead, and another life in shambles, all for want of an antibiotic treatment.
Funny... I'd have said the killing was entirely justified Thinking What's a justified killing in law called?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 31, 2013 at 12:04 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Funny... I'd have said the killing was entirely justified Thinking What's a justified killing in law called?

Well... he might have had the opportunity to argue that angle at trial... had he not gone to great lengths to cover it up. Don't think the jury would have bought it. At it turned out, he pled guilty and got two concurrent life sentences, out in 27(?) for good behavior.
Babies only matter when they are still in utero.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 5629 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1343 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  For a good time call The Valkyrie 25 2559 November 21, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Tis the season for the magic baby NuclearEnergy 27 4857 December 18, 2017 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7414 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 12003 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil
  We have enough examples of this wandering around unsupervised! Minimalist 4 737 July 19, 2014 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Pascal's wager: Why is anyone dumb enough to use it Lemonvariable72 6 3261 May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
Exclamation Rabbi - why sucking a baby's penis in circumcision is good?! Woody68 9 3974 August 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Born this way, baby Foxaèr 170 47600 March 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: John V