Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Generation...
The Next Generation...
Sorry trekkies, not that kind of 'next generation'.

Maybe a bit belated, but they've had the next gen systems revealed for a little while (albeit not completely) and we can get some sense of what they'll be like and some of their features.

I didn't catch much about the hardware for either system so if someone's got some useful info on that it would be appreciated.

So we've got Xbox One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU

The PS4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJDn0jRnUQ

Aaaaand the Wii U or something.

Also bonus video:

Thoughts?
RE: The Next Generation...
Also, bonus GIF!
[Image: iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif]
Hahahaha brilliant. Best gif I've ever seen.
Holy shit, pocarocas, that was hilarious.

Based on what's been announced regarding the next gen consoles, I think imma gonna pass.
Unless the Xbox One is considerably cheaper (like ½) than a desktop computer (hell, even a laptop) with similar specs, I don't see why anyone would want to buy it, given all the restrictions.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I think it's all a bunch of bullshit, and will be letting about 5 years pass before I pick any of them up (so as to ensure the game library is actually worth it... which I doubt).

Really, even today you could just buy a PS2, and it would STILL be the biggest bang for your buck.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Or a good PC and emulate, emulate, emulate!
No need to emulate. Most games on console nowadays are on PC too and usually better played that way. Any console exclusive I can think of is trash, so who cares? In my opinion, there's no need for consoles anymore. Get a PC.
(May 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm)Sal Wrote: Unless the Xbox One is considerably cheaper (like ½) than a desktop computer (hell, even a laptop) with similar specs, I don't see why anyone would want to buy it, given all the restrictions.

It probably won't be. I'm guessing at this point it's going to be north of $499.00 at release.

By way of comparison, I just picked up an Alienware x51 (Core i3-3220 3.3GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, slot loading DVR+-RW, 1GB GDDR5 GT 645, wireless-N, gigabit ethernet, 7.1 audio, USB 3.0, DVI and HDMI ports). It's physically about the same form factor as a console, and far more capable. Gaming and entertainment all in one box, $649 delivered to my door, and far more capable than any console, without all the bullshit that Sony and Microsoft are foisting upon us. Yeah, it's not a high-end gaming box, but it's perfectly capable (the specs exceed my gaming laptop in every way except some CPU benchmarks [Core i7-2670QM]).

(Disclaimer: I don't expect to get 100+ FPS at 1080p)

Don't get me wrong - I like my consoles (PS2, PS3, original Xbox, Xbox 360, N64 and Wii), but the way things are heading, I think I've purchased my last console.

At least with PC games, when it comes to onerous DRM, I can choose to pass on titles I find objectionable. When it restrictions are enforced by the OS, not so much - and I don't pirate games.

I hear very clearly what Sony and Microsoft are saying: buy something else.
(May 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: No need to emulate. Most games on console nowadays are on PC too and usually better played that way. Any console exclusive I can think of is trash, so who cares? In my opinion, there's no need for consoles anymore. Get a PC.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. It won't break my heart to never by another console title. It's my existing library of console games that matters to me. Emulation FTW.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokemon Black and White/Generation 5 Violet 14 7366 March 30, 2011 at 5:44 am
Last Post: Violet