Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi fellow travelers
Hi fellow travelers
Hi. I'm a 33 year old guy from Atlanta. I've been one kind of unbeliever or another for close to 20 years now.

I wasn't particularly raised to be religious, but being in the southeast USA, evangelical Christians types were never very far away either. I went through a time in my life where I had many friends that believed this kind of thing, and very much wanted to fit in and believe what they believed.

Try as I might, I simply could not fit all the puzzle pieces together, it just did not make sense to me. I reached a point where I basically said screw it, I can make better sense of things without, and I've never really looked back.

In college, I majored in and graduated with a degree in cognitive science, which is basically a combination of neuroscience, philosophy, computer science, linguistics, and psychology. It was a great experience.

Lately I have been making an effort to educate myself on things I may have missed out on, and in so doing have discovered just how much I don't know. So I am looking to remedy that.

I've also finally reached the difficult but necessary conclusion that while discussion of opposing points of view on religion is a necessary and important thing to do, I was doing it too frequently, and it was starting to do more harm to me than good. So I am looking for a community where I can talk about things that I like talking about, without being subjected to an endless barrage of nonsense from people largely hostile to what I believe. I also believe that it is valuable to be able to respond intelligently when these types of situations inevitably do arise.

I'm also attempting to put together a good reading list on rational inquiry, ethics & science in general, so any suggestions as to that are welcome. I've always been a math & physics & computers buff, but feel that I have neglected other areas.

So that's who I am and why I am here, and aside from that, hopefully I can add at least 1 new thing to the discussion. Thanks all and look forward to meeting you.
RE: Hi fellow travelers
Hi there, and welcome!
Hey, welcome to AF, hopefully you gonna have a good time here Smile
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Hello, Z. Welcome aboard.
Welcome Big Grin
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Welcome from Portugal.

Enjoy the forum.
Howdy!
Cunt
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome atlantean... enjoy the heathens!
Welcome Z. from "Down Under" Hi
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5279 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
Video Greetings fellow travelers! entheogen 20 1462 September 17, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: entheogen
  Hello, my fellow Homo Sapiens. I salute you. Don Jehuda 48 12306 May 16, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Hello! Just need to commune with some fellow atheists in a religious world. Rosie_Rivets 11 1957 November 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Hello fellow atheists Macoleco 21 1920 August 25, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello fellow nontheists MentalGiant 16 4683 September 16, 2015 at 11:33 am
Last Post: DeathByDespair
  Hello Fellow Atheists! Shuffle 30 5280 July 29, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Athene
  My Fellow Secular Citizens Joko 12 3785 July 7, 2015 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
Music Hi fellow space travelers Arjiuna 15 4778 April 6, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hi fellow heathens! thefemaleatheist 23 4587 March 20, 2015 at 4:33 pm