Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I tell my kid?
What do I tell my kid?
I don't believe or disbelieve anything other than that anything is possible. My 6 year old has been asking a lot of questions about what will happen when we die and I feel bad about saying "I don't know" so I lamely say what some people believe, that no one really knows and maybe he can become a scientist that invents a potion so we live forever. These are crap answers, aren't they? Can anyone give me something better so he doesn't have nightmares.
RE: What do I tell my kid?
I told myself, that if I should ever have kids, and if they should ever ask what happens if they die. I will reply:

You`ll rott

Let`s see what happens when reality kicks in.

Theres alot of young parents here, I am sure one or two or all of them may have an answere which isnt as german as mine.
Talk about burials, cremation, organ donors, etc...
It's good to keep it simple with kids.
(May 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm)meak Wrote: I don't believe or disbelieve anything other than that anything is possible. My 6 year old has been asking a lot of questions about what will happen when we die and I feel bad about saying "I don't know" so I lamely say what some people believe, that no one really knows and maybe he can become a scientist that invents a potion so we live forever. These are crap answers, aren't they? Can anyone give me something better so he doesn't have nightmares.

I think the answers you are giving are actually exceptional. Admitting you don't know is ok.

I particularly like the answer about encouraging him to become a scientist in a truly age-appropriate manner.

Sounds to me like you are a good parent. Keep it up.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(May 31, 2013 at 2:49 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Talk about burials, cremation, organ donors, etc...
It's good to keep it simple with kids.

Ehhhh
yeah. right.

The thing I would definatly talk to a child about "organs taken from one person and put into another"

Maybe it is just a good thing to say: "I dont know".
Children will want adults to be honest to them.
(May 31, 2013 at 2:47 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I told myself, that if I should ever have kids, and if they should ever ask what happens if they die. I will reply:

You`ll rott

Let`s see what happens when reality kicks in.

Theres alot of young parents here, I am sure one or two or all of them may have an answere which isnt as german as mine.

That's funny. My parents are German so I could definitely say that if he was 16 but at 6... I just want a good quiet nights sleep.

(May 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm)Baalzebutt Wrote:
(May 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm)meak Wrote: I don't believe or disbelieve anything other than that anything is possible. My 6 year old has been asking a lot of questions about what will happen when we die and I feel bad about saying "I don't know" so I lamely say what some people believe, that no one really knows and maybe he can become a scientist that invents a potion so we live forever. These are crap answers, aren't they? Can anyone give me something better so he doesn't have nightmares.

I think the answers you are giving are actually exceptional. Admitting you don't know is ok.

I particularly like the answer about encouraging him to become a scientist in a truly age-appropriate manner.

Sounds to me like you are a good parent. Keep it up.

The thing I worry about with saying "I don't know" is that he'll want to get the answer from someone else. Worst case scenario, his grandparents.
If that's all you be wanting for... I present to you a mystical gift from the etherfiends in the nether:

[Image: nyquil1.jpg]

It works.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Ask him what he thinks happens and take it from there.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 31, 2013 at 2:59 pm)meak Wrote: The thing I worry about with saying "I don't know" is that he'll want to get the answer from someone else. Worst case scenario, his grandparents.

But, don't you see? That is the beauty of you telling him what other people believe!! It allows him to seek information from other sources and TO MAKE HIS OWN DECISIONS!!!!

I cannot think of a more beautiful scenario. Teaching your child to think is the greatest gift you can ever give them.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
I actually like your reply and take on it. Nobody knows other than what The Germans already said: You'll rot.

I'll also echo "keep it simple". Once your kid becomes old enough to understand, if he doesn't already, then you can tell him what you believe happens.

If I ever get a kid, I'll say something along the lines that they'll become part of the dirt and they'll live on in the memories of those he/she influenced. Later I'll enumerate that with my own position that the -I- will cease to exist, so it'll be the same like before you were born; not existing.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5530 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9048 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92567 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8072 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Who do you tell you are atheist? Sedna 43 7063 October 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Why tell anyone? John V 53 9446 April 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  How to tell parents I'm an atheist Creeper23782 63 14711 April 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12414 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
Question Could you tell me hesoyam 0 933 July 10, 2013 at 5:28 am
Last Post: hesoyam
Lightbulb This kid..... Haole 2 975 May 26, 2013 at 8:57 am
Last Post: festive1