Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Religions Are DIY
All Religions Are DIY
http://www.alternet.org/books/why-we-mus...paging=off

What this article says is that in spite of what any believer thinks nobody follows the path of orthodoxy with whatever their religion is. Many say that they are strict observers, some even believe that they are, but the reality is that they all are engaged to some degree in a selective reading of their sacred texts, adopting what suits them and rejecting the rest. It’s a simple process, really. Pick up the sacred books of your religion, look for passages supporting your values, and adapt them a little to your liking. Then highlight their importance in the overall balance of the religion, and conveniently forget all those other unsavory passages that either downright contradict your values or support behaviors and attitudes that don’t fit with your inclinations. But they don't like to say so. They prefer to hide behind the orthodoxy of their faith and insist that it is the one true way to live. Anyone who says otherwise is a heretic.

But they are not necessarily liars. Some don’t lie consciously. They just happen to be masters at self-delusion, so skilled at lying to themselves that they can do it without ever becoming aware of it. What would they want to do that for? Because it would be too frightening to admit to themselves that they are just as guilty of thinking for themselves as those damned heathens. They have too much invested in being good God-fearing Christians or whatever. This way their beliefs have the God-approved stamp on them.

Then you also have the people who are not lying to themselves or to anyone else out of ignorance. Many Christians have not read much of the Bible at all, the same goes for Muslims and the Qu'ran. They just know what they remember from Sunday school and what the preacher spouts from the pulpit. It's far easier to deal with contradictions when you are not even aware of them. I know that I frequently get “I didn't know that was in there” kind of reactions to a lot of things I mention to people when they want to know why I don't believe.

The scriptures are appallingly contradictory, as you are all aware. But the people in the pews for the most part are not up to speed on that. Not surprisingly the same book has been repeatedly used to support opposites throughout history. During the American Civil War, Abraham Lin­coln noted that, “Both [Southern and Northern soldiers] read the same Bible, and pray to the same God; and each invokes his aid against the other.” It was in this same time period, after all, that Christians used the Bible to argue for the abolition of slavery while just as many Christians found in the Bible the ideological ammunition to support slavery as a divinely ordained institution. And so it was before and since as well. All faiths splinter over arguments about who has it right. Dr. King was a Christian and so were the people who supported Bull Connor and George Wallace. Either way they were convinced that the “Good Book” supported their view.

We are far too removed from the origins of any of these faiths to know what really happened, to whom and how. The fact that they're all based on “revelation” to someone who is out in the middle of nowhere, illiterate and living in a time before any kind of trustworthy means of recording information had come along just makes it worse. Then it gets handed down as an oral tradition for who knows how long before it finally gets written down by a scribe or scribes who have an agenda – whether or not said scribes can admit that to themselves. This being the case, it is no small wonder that holy texts are rife with contradictions.

The result of this confusing state of affairs is that nobody knows with any certitude what any of it actually means. Consequently, people get to ascribe their own preferences to the text and go merrily along thinking that they have authority for their cherished notions – hey, it says so right there in the book! Point being that we all get to make our own DIY religion even if we are not aware of it. Put another way, it really is all in your head.

There is a lot more to the article than this, but I'm going to stop here. The author actually thinks that religion is a good thing, and I think it's absolute poison, so there you go. But it is a genuinely interesting read. Thinking
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

RE: All Religions Are DIY

Lies

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
tl;dr.
Well, even the Scriptures themselves are DIY. With various missionaries preaching divergent messages in Christianity's early days, the Council of Nicea was formed in the early 4th Century to standardize the Bible once and for all. Any books that didn't fit their agenda were omitted. So is it that different that individuals will in turn pick and choose from the Bible that which only concurs with their own secular morality?

I've confronted my family with the various negative Jesus quotes, such as his commandments to hate your family and to kill all those who don't want to worship him, and of course "I bring not peace, but the sword". Their response is simply to assert that Jesus didn't really say any of that and only said the good stuff...which to me is further evidence that faith is nothing more than arbitrarily deciding that whatever you want to be true, is. So good people will only see the things like love thy neighbor and help the poor (heck, my sister donated to food banks and other charities even when she was herself unemployed, and not out of a desire for Divine brownie points), and bigots will only see the endorsement of slavery and condemnation of homosexuals and various other justifications for their hatred.
(June 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm)NomenMihiNon Wrote: Well, even the Scriptures themselves are DIY. With various missionaries preaching divergent messages in Christianity's early days, the Council of Nicea was formed in the early 4th Century to standardize the Bible once and for all. Any books that didn't fit their agenda were omitted. So is it that different that individuals will in turn pick and choose from the Bible that which only concurs with their own secular morality?

I've confronted my family with the various negative Jesus quotes, such as his commandments to hate your family and to kill all those who don't want to worship him, and of course "I bring not peace, but the sword". Their response is simply to assert that Jesus didn't really say any of that and only said the good stuff...which to me is further evidence that faith is nothing more than arbitrarily deciding that whatever you want to be true, is. So good people will only see the things like love thy neighbor and help the poor (heck, my sister donated to food banks and other charities even when she was herself unemployed, and not out of a desire for Divine brownie points), and bigots will only see the endorsement of slavery and condemnation of homosexuals and various other justifications for their hatred.
You're right. All the writers of both the canonical and non-canonical texts were possessed of an agenda when they wrote the scriptures. It's only human nature. And people just gloss over what isn't agreeable to them just the way you mentioned. Again, human nature. For whatever it may be worth, I've come to the conclusion that for many people the idea of a supreme being watching over us is just too comforting to them in a cold and crazy world and that they will perform whatever mental gymnastics they must in order to keep the faith. Personally I find that sad. But I also believe (maybe because it's something I need ) that humankind will evolve past such a need. Who knows? Thinking
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

"Well I take what I want and leave the rest" as an ex once said to me. DIY is mild, religion is personal.

(June 2, 2013 at 9:50 pm)Raven Wrote: I've come to the conclusion that for many people the idea of a supreme being watching over us is just too comforting to them in a cold and crazy world and that they will perform whatever mental gymnastics they must in order to keep the faith. Personally I find that sad.

Hell I did that for years myself. after religion (all of them) I clung to a deist supreme being type belief because, I wanted to believe in some form of life after death, but more than anything I wanted to blieve there was a responsible adult at the wheel.

Upon realisation of this I concluded that FAITH is nothing more than selfish greed with a cloak of mythology.
Hold on, you mean to tell me someone made this shit up?!
(June 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm)Terr Wrote: Upon realisation of this I concluded that FAITH is nothing more than selfish greed with a cloak of mythology.

Ah but what a fine cloak it is, see the manner in which the rain wicks away and the wind whips past?

lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 4, 2013 at 12:43 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(June 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm)Terr Wrote: Upon realisation of this I concluded that FAITH is nothing more than selfish greed with a cloak of mythology.

Ah but what a fine cloak it is, see the manner in which the rain wicks away and the wind whips past?

lol.

Works well alright, gives one a sense of righteousness.. I just drank too much Guiness and outgrew it.
(June 4, 2013 at 12:43 am)Rhythm Wrote:

lol.

Except that in reality, you're still freezing cold and soaking wet while desperately trying to convince yourself that you're not...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1828 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2738 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3473 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11016 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3709 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10752 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12817 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 599 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11053 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22813 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares