Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I considered myself atheist, but I still talked to god"
"I considered myself atheist, but I still talked to god"
Came across this statement on a a christian forum, is still the reason why sooooo many ex-atheists that pop up cannot explain why they found a belief in god. Never lost it in the first place.
RE: "I considered myself atheist, but I still talked to god"
Personally, that is what I say when someone asks me why I don't believe in their belief. I never believed, even growing up in church. (maybe that's a cop out maybe I just don't want to go through a long conversation.) Maybe ex-atheists say that so they don't have to admit it was for a girl, or money, or they are just dumb. I digress.
No true Scotsman.

We need more information on specific persons that claim they stopped believing in God and then started again in order to justifiably make the claim you're making. Although it's hard to pin down what you're actually claiming. My best attempt is "A lot of theists who claim to be ex-atheists were actually never really atheists."

This seems to me to be making a most presumptuous psychoanalytical inference from non-existent evidence. Even if you knew of a theist who went under-cover, even, as an atheist and then falsely claimed to re-convert to theism, the inference to the "so many" is still unjustified.
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic
? Rueben.......a person who talks to god - is going to have a hard time explaining that conversation - what with being an atheist, are they not?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm)Rhythm Wrote: ? Rueben.......a person who talks to god - is going to have a hard time explaining that conversation - what with being an atheist, are they not?

Is it really that hard to believe that a person might be so religiously indoctrinated that they might still say the Lord's prayer every morning, out of simple habit,(and take this to mean "talking to God" in a colloquial sense) whilst at the same time lacking the belief that the God, which they previously had believed to exist and to whom the prayer is addressed, actually exists?

In any case, it certainly is not the case, at least by any rule of logic, that because person P prays, person P is necessarily an atheist.
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic
You've done a marvelous job at inventing a narrative. I would take the statement for precisely what was said. Does your contention hinge upon this narrative you've invented? Since when did they "stop then start" anyway? Another great work of narrative flair on your part, if you don't mind the compliment.

I agree, people pray all the time (I'm guessing that's what you were trying to say there at the end) without having any sort of god-belief, but since we're talking about talking to god - how that has any relevance is beyond me..unless..gasp shock and horror, the faithful say things that they know full well are absolute bullshit.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
..and you have done a marvelous job of pointing out the obvious. Namely, that I have done a marvelous job at inventing a narrative. A narrative, mind you, in which there is no logical contradiction, and in which also the person in question at one point in time genuinely disbelieves in the existence of God but still prays,(and takes this to mean "talking to God" in a colloquial sense) thereby showing that it is possible for a person to disbelieve in the existence of God, and still talk to Him, which is my "contention."

(June 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Since when did they "stop then start" anyway?

I guess it isn't that obvious, so I'll explain: Terr, in his OP, is referring to a theist who claims to have converted from theism, to atheism, and then back to theism. Hence the "stop then start," as you put it. Hope that helps.

(June 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm)ReasonableRuben Wrote: ..and you have done a marvelous job of pointing out the obvious. Namely, that I have done a marvelous job at inventing a narrative. A narrative, mind you, in which there is no logical contradiction, and in which also the person in question at one point in time genuinely disbelieves in the existence of God but still prays,(and takes this to mean "talking to God" in a colloquial sense) thereby showing that it is possible for a person to disbelieve in the existence of God, and still talk to Him, which is my "contention."
B-mine So, yes, your contention did hinge upon the narrative you invented. Would have been easy to just say yes, wouldn't it? An atheist speaking to a god is about the clearest contradiction one can imagine. A person praying to a god they don;t believe in is equally as mystifying - but people do strange shit all the time, granted. You're stretching these ideas beyond the point of breaking, in my opinion, btw.

Quote:I guess it isn't that obvious, so I'll explain: Terr, in his OP, is referring to a theist who claims to have converted from theism, to atheism, and then back to theism. Hence the "stop then start," as you put it. Hope that helps.
Where, all I see is someone who claimed to be an atheist before finding god or some such. You assume the person deconverted, sure, I don't (like I said, cool story, bro). I think that a person who makes that sort of statement is just an asshole with a taste for bullshit. We get a few of em round these parts now and again. It's not obvious, Rueben, because it isn't in the claim - you've invested that claim with a claim of your own (more than one).
(June 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: B-mine So, yes, your contention did hinge upon the narrative you invented. Would have been easy to just say yes, wouldn't it? An atheist speaking to a god is about the clearest contradiction one can imagine. A person praying to a god they don;t believe in is equally as mystifying - but people do strange shit all the time, granted.

I appreciate this. I guess it would've been easier for me to just say "yes," but it wouldn't have been reflective of my views on the matter. It's a technicality, but my contention doesn't hinge upon that specific narrative. i.e. I could make up a different narrative in which an atheist prays.

[Image: 38389903.jpg]

(June 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Where[?]

Enter grammar:

It seems to me that the theist in question could most plausibly be seen to be using the word "still" in either of two senses.

1. the conjunctive sense, to mean "and yet; but yet; nevertheless" as in: "It was futile, still they fought."

2. the adverbial sense, to mean "at this or that time; as previously" as in: "Are you still here?"

I take the "still" in "I still talked to God" to be used in the later sense, indicating that he had a kind of residual prayerfulness from his past theism, even when he was an atheist. I could be wrong though.

Terr, do you have the original statement?

(June 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm)ReasonableRuben Wrote: Is it really that hard to believe that a person might be so religiously indoctrinated that they might still say the Lord's prayer every morning, out of simple habit,

Well, I still say "goddammit" and "God only knows" and "Jesus fucking H. Christ" and .. you get the picture. But I never, when I really need some cards to survive in a tournament, pray for any help. It just doesn't occur to me. But maybe it does for others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1462 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1990 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 31042 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5535 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself budsa11 88 20139 September 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3551 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9687 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This is strange. Explaining stuff to myself. purplepurpose 26 7239 December 16, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14598 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10917 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster