Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am (Re)New
I am (Re)New
Ay, hello. You can name me "D" or "Dave" but please be cautious of referring to me as "the D".

I am renewed in my own rite. Just over 2 years ago I fully shifted away from religion. I am an ex-christian (roman catholic) and I have been so demented for over 17 years. Raised and baptized a christian since birth, I "believed in god" and attended church for way too many years. The first sign I understood I was in trouble was how ineffective events played out when "holy miracles" were being performed. Praying with hands, obsessed with a single magical guy from the distant past (Jesus), eating imaginary flesh, anointing the sick or dying people... it was all assumed... it was all a delusion.

Much of my past life has gone to waste focusing on christianity-related activities like mass, communion, reconciliation and penance, confirmation, telling old men the bad things I did (reconciliation), etc...

No more. I am independent in thought, in body, in life. No more will I ever base or build my life upon another person's or religious system's whim. I choose what I believe, and what I choose to believe is real. Until science unlocks the brain, only I control my mind.

-

It started since I was born, my shifting from religion, but there were significant moments when I really knew I was not meant to live like a christian. The most profound moment in my life, in which I realize atheism so to speak, was a moment during high school. It was my last year, and on this certain day there was school mass in the gymnasium (I should mention that this was a catholic school). The truth was, I felt like I had no part, no purpose or relevance in that mass. So I decided to skip it. BUT that is not the moment of realization, no. I proceeded to my locker to get my jacket and leave for the next hour. So I headed for the nearest exit from the school, incognito. I opened the stairwell door which connects to an exit, and inside a teacher walking down the stairs spots me. I am unnerved when He (I capitalize all personal pronouns, OK?) stops to question me... along the lines of, "are you leaving? You have to attend mass, this is school policy". I stuttered, ashamed. I was like this because I did not wish to disappoint my elders. But I did. Embarrassed, I responded along the lines of, "Sir, I would go... but I am not an... 'absolute believer in christianity'". He was helpful in his reaction as he agreed to my departure. He was very appropriate, although He did not pick the best of responses by telling me that there was "no need to rationalize it". I was only slightly burned, as I did think being rational helps.

That was the end of all christian adventures for me.

-

I do not, or try not to, classify myself beyond any set of religious rules, ranks or titles because I cannot be bound to them. As such, You can call me atheist, agnostic, theist, alien-believer, greek mythologist... whatever You like. They will not apply to me, though some are more definitive than others... like atheism. Atheism literally states a lack of god, or lack of god without scientific proof. I prefer the latter. Something You can always refer to me as, is being arreligious. This is a newer term, and it is not irreligious. It is what atheism is to theism. Arreligion is the lack of or absence of religion. It is not anti-religion as being irreligious is. It is zero in terms of religion, it is neutral. It is not that We do not care, We do, but We simply could not be interested in being applied to religion and religious affairs. Similar to humanitarianism, We value the very real people before systems and structures. We are the Schrodinger's Cat of belief affiliation, We are all of them, and none at the same time. I am not religious.
RE: I am (Re)New
Well, that was quite an intro...
Welcome and enjoy the cookies!
Welcome to our little oasis of sanity in a crazy world, W/V.
(June 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Well, that was quite an intro...

Thank You for accepting me in, I just have to ask if those cookies are real or are they the digital cookies my browsers munch on?
Welcome Enjoy the forum.

PS- Here you go Cookie
Welcome. I'm also a recovering Catholic, 13 years wafer-free!
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm)Walking Void Wrote:
(June 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Well, that was quite an intro...

Thank you for accepting me in, I just have to ask if those cookies are real or are they the digital cookies my browsers munch on?

They are real.... I just had some! Smile
Unfortunately, the food 3-D printer isn't yet mainstream, so you'll have to take my word for it... or I could upload some for you Tongue

In the meantime, enjoy the USBwine:

(June 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm)pocaracas Wrote: In the meantime, enjoy the USBwine:

[Image: shut_up_and_take_my_money_fry-t2.jpg]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Photo 
(June 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(June 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm)Walking Void Wrote: Thank you for accepting me in, I just have to ask if those cookies are real or are they the digital cookies my browsers munch on?

They are real.... I just had some! Smile
Unfortunately, the food 3-D printer isn't yet mainstream, so you'll have to take my word for it... or I could upload some for you Tongue

In the meantime, enjoy the USBwine:

Thank You for that courage in a bottle, I think I can attest to this stunt now:

[Image: dangerous_stunts03.jpg]
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New New New Quid 23 4745 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman