Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brazilian Atheists have to hide in the closet?
Brazilian Atheists have to hide in the closet?
http://www.france24.com/en/20130606-braz...ide-closet

The funniest but very sad part of the article is this: In Brazil, there is more violence against blacks or homosexuals because they cannot hide Thinking
RE: Brazilian Atheists have to hide in the closet?
I like to think of Brazil as that place where women wear these really tiny bikinis... when they bother to wear them at all. Now I also know that it has the "world's largest Roman Catholic population." What a buzz kill.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
RE: Brazilian Atheists have to hide in the closet?
(June 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: http://www.france24.com/en/20130606-braz...ide-closet

The funniest but very sad part of the article is this: In Brazil, there is more violence against blacks or homosexuals because they cannot hide Thinking

I was under the impression that Brazil has a very complex racial stratification system... They have native Brazilians, people of European heritage, and a lot of Africans too, but they've all intermarried and the social stratification includes mulatos, mixes of African and the native Indian populations, etc. The article does go on to say that 84% would vote for a black candidate... I guess my question is how prevalent is racially motivated violence against blacks in Brazil? I'm off to investigate!

ETA: So about 48% of the Brazilian population are "white," 43% are "brown" (mixed race), 8% black, 1% Asian, and 0.5% Amerindian. Brazil's Wiki page notes that there is a lot of social and income disparity, disproportionately effecting blacks. Racism in Brazil Wiki page states that most homicide victims are black (overwhelmingly), but not whether the crimes were racially motivated or not... and it doesn't discuss mixed race peoples...

My thoughts... it's unclear how rampant racism is based on this info... Class is often related to race, but they aren't substitutable for one another.
I thought we had some Brazilian members... maybe they could shed some light... or someone who's been or studied Brazil. My curiosity is peaked...