Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reemerging of feminism in politics
The reemerging of feminism in politics
Just another article:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeit...04100.html

Personaly I am not a big fan of feminist movements.
RE: The reemerging of feminism in politics
Yay for boobies!

If I was living in Europe I would love feminists. You have some cute topless protestors. Have you ever seen videos of Code Pink topless protests in the U.S.? I'm no doctor but I would say watching those is a worthy alternative to having a vasectomy. In fact, I might prefer the vasectomy than watching those old saggy tits on my computer screen.
Considering the way men have fucked things up I'm ready to give women a chance.
In my opinion, people who support equal rights should start calling themselves "egalitarians". It already covers feminism, but it goes much further and doesn't deny other kinds of discrimination that happen against men, people of different religions, and people of different races.

Leave the "feminism" label to the idiots who deny that women have any privilege at all, or think that women are the only group in society that are being actively discriminated against.
(June 8, 2013 at 8:10 am)Tiberius Wrote: In my opinion, people who support equal rights should start calling themselves "egalitarians". It already covers feminism, but it goes much further and doesn't deny other kinds of discrimination that happen against men, people of different religions, and people of different races.

Leave the "feminism" label to the idiots who deny that women have any privilege at all, or think that women are the only group in society that are being actively discriminated against.

Agreed. The 'Patriarchy" arguably doesn't exist. If it did, why are men at a disadvantage in society ever? Why are do there exist legalities inherently sexist towards men ever? Let's say it does exist but for whatever reason promotes sexism towards both sexes. Why is the force against this patriarchy - which wrongs both of the sexes - only focusing on the problems of one sex? Also, why call it feminism if it's only about equality for both sexes? Well, because that's not 'all' feminism is, even though feminists will tell you otherwise. Basically, modern feminism is a load of bullshit.
Personally I think that modern Feminism is important. I don't think that woman are being discriminated against as a whole, but there are pockets. It is important to fight for those right in those pockets. I would like to also point out that in those pockets it is not just women who are discriminated against.
(June 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm)Savannahw Wrote: Personally I think that modern Feminism is important. I don't think that woman are being discriminated against as a whole, but there are pockets. It is important to fight for those right in those pockets. I would like to also point out that in those pockets it is not just women who are discriminated against.

But then why feminism? Why not fight for all?

The objection is that fighting for equality in the name of only one demographic is not truly fighting for equality.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I agree that it is important to fight for equality for all, but I don't have the same problem with the word feminism. I was saying that just because the majority of society has accepted something doesn't mean that you will never deal with people who are against it.
The major problem I have with "feminism" is the types of groups that the term has become associated with. The term has detracted over time, being applied to ideologies that reach far outside the scope of the original purpose of putting females on equal social standings with males. Rather than being associated with female empowerment, it now is more frequently associated with female supremacy, it's been turned into a gag term that now focuses more on the extremist side of the spectrum.

Women still face various forms of discrimination (especially in less developed countries where it is severe), but when so called "feminists" lose sight of equalizing the status of females and instead focus on anti-male ideology, it has crossed over into hate group territory.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Egalitarianism might be a fine notional goal, but actual results require smaller, more specific steps taken as opportunity and resources allow. Feminism is a fine opportunistic step of the kind that could plausibly produce real progress towards notional goals.

Progress towards grand ultimate goals is rarely achieved by ostentatiously subjugating the specific goals dear to other people's hearts to the ultimate goal in your head. It is usually achieved by figuring out how helping other achieve goals close to their hearts can indirectly help you achieve the ultimate goal in your heart, while keeping your cards close to your chest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2437 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 7057 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 329 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 781 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 494 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1370 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 992 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 387 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Politics WinterHold 23 1560 January 20, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Politics is a fairy tale about England Interaktive 6 909 December 27, 2019 at 5:31 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb