Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roller Coaster thread!
Roller Coaster thread!
Because roller coasters are BEAST MODE: OFF ON [ULTRA]

Especially this one, new for 2013 at Cedar Point: The GateKeeper, the brainchild of the new Cedar Fair CEO, Matt Ouimett, who has the distinguished history of 17 years of employment with The Walt Disney Company for running their Disney Resorts and Disney Cruise companies, and B&M, their third at Cedar Point after Raptor and Mantis.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/gatekeeper

Features Wing Over Drops, Immelmann Loops, a Giant Flat Spin, zero-G rolls, a turn-around that then leads to the tower flyby and eventually the decapitation trick by going through the towers themselves. Shit is SICK.

And of course I can't forget about my all-time favorite roller coaster ever, also at Cedar Point, the Millenium Force, the enormous beastmachine that broke my fear of roller coasters permanently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Force

And also at Cedar Point, the Blue Streak, my first roller coaster ever...and responsible for scaring me out of roller coasters for like, I think, six years? XD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Streak...r_Point%29

It was rickety as fuck, scared the shit outta me [I was eight]. I go on it now and I laugh but man that first time was brutal. I didn't ride anything all that intense for nearly six years until I was waiting in line for the Millenium Force with my brothers six years later. I looked at this machine, which was at the time the biggest roller coaster in the world [and the first to break the 300 foot height marker and had the steepest, fastest drop of its kind], and went paler than normal. But after waiting in line for two hours staring this thing down, as we approached the station I finally let my nuts drop.

"Fuck it. I'm going with you guys," I told my brothers, my jaw set and face stony, nodding in self-determination. My brothers raised their eyebrows, surprised, but the eldest smiled after a second. "Attaboy," was all he said, and he didn't stop smiling the entire time. We get on, and the train starts racing up the lift hill, since it uses a counterweight lift system instead of the older, slower chain lifts. It's also steep for a lift hill, VERY much so. As I looked out upon Lake Erie, shaking in terror and actually with tears running down my eyes but my jaw set tightly in defiance of my terror of heights and abnormal G-force changes, I found myself wishing I had just stayed behind, but too late now, I was committed. I took solace in the fact that at Cedar Point there's never been a ride-failure-induced fatality or even injury, and suddenly I was racing towards the ground, almost straight down, accelerating to 97 MPH.

And every moment after that was nothing but me screaming psychotically. Not in terror, but in wild glee. The feeling was intense and powerful, the adrenaline rush a wild ride. Every moment was sheer, unadulterated bliss. The ride was so smooth that it felt like the train was flying through the air instead of being attached to a track. We got off and I couldn't stop giggling in absolute glee. I had to sit down, my legs were shaking from the adrenaline. It took fifteen minutes before I could, still giggling and grinning like a superstoned idiot, get to the next ride. I've never been afraid of a roller coaster ever since, no matter how tall, rough, fast, or intense.
RE: Roller Coaster thread!
I haven't been to Cedar Point in over a decade. When my parents took me when I was a kid, I wouldn't ride anything bigger than the Gemini, and I was absolutely terrified at the thought of riding one that went upside down. Finally, I forced myself to go on the Corkscrew, and I realized that was no big deal. Then I went on the Magnum(the biggest one they had at the time), and I wasn't afraid of any ride.

I'm dying to go back and see all of the new stuff they have. That winged coaster does look awesome.
Memphis used to have a really crappy roller coaster park. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertyland
Cedar Point rocks! I went about 15 years ago... God I'm old... I don't remember all of the names, but by far the scariest ride was the rickety, old ski lift you could take across the park Tongue I love roller coasters, I'm really excited that my kids are getting big enough to go on some-not the super thrill ones, but my oldest especially loves them. We went to DisneyWorld last summer, and got a great pic of all of us on Thunder Mountain, even my little one had his hands in the air for the big drop Smile In a few years we'll have to make the trek to Ohio for Cedar Point. But I want to wait until they're both big enough for all the rides, it's no fun having to sit out.
I like roller coaster tycoon.
I have fond memories of my trip to 6 flags california, "The X" was insane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X²_(roller_coaster)

it looks similar to the one in your link actually.

The seats aren't on the tracks right, there is the middle carriage where in a normal roller coater you'd be seated, but on the x the middle carriage has two large sticks comming out on each side, those have the seats on them, so your in a seat in mid air. While the ride is doing loop-da-loops and corkscrews your seats actually spinning as well.

Best roller coaster I've been on
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(June 14, 2013 at 7:53 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: I like roller coaster tycoon.

...I forgive your accidental faux pas from before. The fact you like RCT is good enough for me. That game is fucking ridiculously fun. Ever played the third one?

(June 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm)Stue Denim Wrote: I have fond memories of my trip to 6 flags california, "The X" was insane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X²_(roller_coaster)

it looks similar to the one in your link actually.

The seats aren't on the tracks right, there is the middle carriage where in a normal roller coater you'd be seated, but on the x the middle carriage has two large sticks comming out on each side, those have the seats on them, so your in a seat in mid air. While the ride is doing loop-da-loops and corkscrews your seats actually spinning as well.

Best roller coaster I've been on

Yeah that's basically what the Gatekeeper is. I think they're both B&M designs, cuz it seems to be a trademark of theirs is to do really unique designs for roller coasters that are focused mostly on the unique elements of the trains themselves to compliment the twists and loops they favor in their designs. Shit looks hype!

(June 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I haven't been to Cedar Point in over a decade. When my parents took me when I was a kid, I wouldn't ride anything bigger than the Gemini, and I was absolutely terrified at the thought of riding one that went upside down. Finally, I forced myself to go on the Corkscrew, and I realized that was no big deal. Then I went on the Magnum(the biggest one they had at the time), and I wasn't afraid of any ride.

I'm dying to go back and see all of the new stuff they have. That winged coaster does look awesome.

(June 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm)festive1 Wrote: Cedar Point rocks! I went about 15 years ago... God I'm old... I don't remember all of the names, but by far the scariest ride was the rickety, old ski lift you could take across the park Tongue I love roller coasters, I'm really excited that my kids are getting big enough to go on some-not the super thrill ones, but my oldest especially loves them. We went to DisneyWorld last summer, and got a great pic of all of us on Thunder Mountain, even my little one had his hands in the air for the big drop Smile In a few years we'll have to make the trek to Ohio for Cedar Point. But I want to wait until they're both big enough for all the rides, it's no fun having to sit out.

We might have to have an AF Cedar Point Meet. We could do a mini-con sort of thing with the Hotel Breakers, get discounted room rates and catering and get lower prices for tickets to the park too since we'd be going to the Breakers [you get like $15 off plus early entry into the park ahead of the rest of the crowds, with most of the newest rides open to the early-comers. We'd have to set up a date for it, probably won't be this year but could be next year easily.
That could be fun!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4044 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic