Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 5:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dissasociation
dissasociation
Does anybody know how you become unbaptized in the UK? I was baptized in the C of E at birth and confirmed at the ages of 11. Neither were my choice.
RE: dissasociation
These people should be able to help.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/debaptism.html
At the age of 11, my mother asked me if I wanted to be confirmed. I told her I didn't believe in God, so there was no point in it.

I thank the FSM daily that my parents didn't force religion on me.
So you think Baptism and Confirmation actually mean something dubpiper?

I don't think they do. At all. They're a symbol, a ritual. An outward sign.

If you think it means something then perhaps you need counseling to get over that. Good luck.
The only thing about baptism that matters to me is that the church can claim I'm a member and if my parents didn't respect my wishes I could have a Catholic funeral. Luckily I assume they would respect my wishes if I passed before them
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I wasn't baptized, but I had my son circumcised when he was born. I was under the delusion that it was 'cleaner'. I wish I could undo that. When I saw his penis for the first time after that I was in shock and realized I made a big mistake that I can't undo. I try to tell expectant mothers this. It worked with my sister-in-law. She did not have her son cut. At least baptism isn't mutilation.
My cousin was catholic and died of breast cancer several years ago. She didn't have a catholic funeral, she had been divorced. I hear it was a good thing her funeral wasn't catholic.
binnyCoffee
Yeah, thats the only thing that worries me... if you are a member of a certain church they could bring that into your funeral. I've expressed my views that I don't want a funeral or anything- just a memorial service with god left out of it. They can just dig a whole in the back yard if they want and throw my body in- i dont care. Hopefully my family honors my wishes if I go before them but its not written down so they wouldnt really have to.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
(September 16, 2009 at 7:39 pm)binny Wrote: I wasn't baptized, but I had my son circumcised when he was born. I was under the delusion that it was 'cleaner'. I wish I could undo that. When I saw his penis for the first time after that I was in shock and realized I made a big mistake that I can't undo. I try to tell expectant mothers this. It worked with my sister-in-law. She did not have her son cut. At least baptism isn't mutilation.
My cousin was catholic and died of breast cancer several years ago. She didn't have a catholic funeral, she had been divorced. I hear it was a good thing her funeral wasn't catholic.

What? I circumsized my son. Uncircumsized penis' have always just grossed me out. Ever see one of those things? My husband said absolutely get our sons penis cut and no queston about it. It's much neater, easier to clean, and you don't trap as much bacteria down there. I'm not sure why you are so against it.
As what fr0d0 said, it shouldn't mean anything to you anyway if you do not believe in the faith.

Baptism is just an act, like "eating the body of christ" and "drinking the blood of christ". If they all don't mean squat to you, then basically you're, in order, taking a swim, having some bread and taking a swirl of wine to wash it all down. Smile

I was baptized when I was a kid but I couldn't be bothered with it any less then I do now lol
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(September 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm)dry land fish Wrote: What? I circumsized my son. Uncircumsized penis' have always just grossed me out. Ever see one of those things? My husband said absolutely get our sons penis cut and no queston about it. It's much neater, easier to clean, and you don't trap as much bacteria down there. I'm not sure why you are so against it.
As Hitchens says, parents have absolutely no right to mutilate the genitals of anyone, not even their children. If the child wants to do it at an older age, that is their decision.