Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing myself
Introducing myself
Hi everyone, I am new here. Used to post a bit on the Richard Dawkins site but things got weird there so around that time I migrated over to my local Atheist group's website. Now it seems almost all of those guys have migrated over to their Facebook site which is cool but that got me looking for a new more active message board so I found this one. A little about me....I am a life long Atheist I guess you would say as I was raised by two Atheist parents so I have never had any beliefs in any supreme powers and what not. I have lived most of my life in the Bible Belt so it gets pretty tiresome at time being surrounded by super Christian people. Its nice to have an outlet for some rational thought and dialogue. I also lived overseas for a time which was cool. Even though it was a majority Christian country, they just didn't seem to talk about God and Jesus quite as much as they do here. I currently live in North Carolina....I guess that's about all. Look forward to "meeting" people in the community here.
RE: Introducing myself
Hello and Welcome! I also live in the bible belt. I sympathize; It does get tiresome. I have found this forum to be am awesome place to hang out. I hope you do too.
Welcome.
Welcome to the forum! How is living in North Carolina? I've been there before to Asheville and it was pretty nice.
Welcome!
Bon jour, mon ami. I tried the Dawkins site for a few days and couldn't keep up with the traffic....you'd post something and come back two hours later and it was buried under 3 pages of replies. Just crazy.
Welcome! I'm on the other end of the bible belt.

The Dawkins forum got dumped quite a while ago. Just wiped out of existence without giving any of their members any warning. Really upset a lot of people. The survivors started some other forum. Can't remember now what it's called. I stopped in to offer my condolences but didn't stick around.
Welcome Enjoy the forum.
Welcome. I often envy people who were raised without religion, but being brought up Christian also gives me plenty of ammo to argue against Christian arguments. It also nullifies the "If you'd just accept Jesus into your heart..." nonsense.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:Welcome to the forum! How is living in North Carolina? I've been there before to Asheville and it was pretty nice.

Its pretty nice overall. I am an avid mountain biker and there are tons of opportunities for great riding around here. I also like hiking and rock climbing and both are also good here. The oppressive heat in July and Aug is kind of a bummer but you just kind of suffer through it and then the rest of the year the weather is pretty good.

(June 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Welcome. I often envy people who were raised without religion, but being brought up Christian also gives me plenty of ammo to argue against Christian arguments. It also nullifies the "If you'd just accept Jesus into your heart..." nonsense.

In a lot of ways its really nice (and I do appreciate my parents for it) but you are right that I have a hard time debating with Christians since I was never one of them. I also have a really hard time just comprehending how people can believe in religions of all kinds since I have never had a belief in anything like that so it's just a totally foreign concept to me. I think people who have at least at one time believed have an easier time understanding how people can believe the things they do.

Quote:The Dawkins forum got dumped quite a while ago. Just wiped out of existence without giving any of their members any warning. Really upset a lot of people. The survivors started some other forum. Can't remember now what it's called. I stopped in to offer my condolences but didn't stick around.

I heard about that. I had already quit posting there because it got hard to follow before that happened but I did hear about it happening and was sorry to hear about it.

Quote:Bon jour, mon ami. I tried the Dawkins site for a few days and couldn't keep up with the traffic....you'd post something and come back two hours later and it was buried under 3 pages of replies. Just crazy.

It was a very busy site and some people got very lengthy with their replies and opinions. It was hard to keep up with.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1033 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3681 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2163 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1578 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New member introducing herself HHK 24 4426 July 18, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Introducing Meee! Panatheist 15 2577 March 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3335 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Myself John Algar 17 2364 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3854 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Introducing myself Fortruth 15 2768 November 23, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Aractus