Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
Common arguments for the existence of God (such as the ontological argument, the teleological argument, first cause, cosmology, etc), only get you as far as an abstract notion of some sort of god -- the kind that philosophers talk about (if you accept the arguments, that is).

If you believe that the God of the Bible really exists and has the properties ascribed to him by this book, then other means are required to justify belief in this specific God. Typically this comes down to either scriptural authority, or divine revelation, or some combination of the two (for example, belief in the truth of the message of the biblical prophets is belief in both of these things). Am I omitting anything here? Note that I am including 'personal experience with God' under the umbrella of revelation, as God revealing himself to you.

But if you are willing to accept revelation / scripture as vehicles for determining truth from falsehood, then what is the point in attempting to construct a logical argument for the existence of God in the abstract? You already have what you consider proof of his existence, and a logical argument won't prove that your particular God exists. If you are trying to convince someone, they will still have to accept scriptural authority or divine revelation, will they not?

If belief in revelation / scripture is both necessary and sufficient, and logic alone is insufficient -- why bother?
RE: If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
Insecurity?
Probably because in today's world most individuals want to at least try to be logical. It's fun sometimes watching theists do mental sommersaults trying to stuff an illogical belief into a logical framework.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(June 14, 2013 at 5:03 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Insecurity?

This.

I'll bet the number of believers that have been convinced by any of the philosophic arguments (T.A.G., cosmological, ontological, etc) for the existence of a god is extremely low.

These arguments are used primarily to help the believer justify his/her already existing beliefs to be more rational in their own mind. They are trying to convince themselves that their beliefs are based on logic, and not just faith.

The evidence is that even after being showed the glaring fallacies that they all contain are pointed out, they do not stop using the arguments.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I've often wondered the same thing. Why bother trying to make secular arguments in the defense of religion. The type of logic that they apply wasn't used by the various churches for the vast majority of their history. That's why faith is put up as such a virtue. If you accept faith as a virtue why bother with the rest? It actually extends way beyond the God of the bible. People are expected to give secular reasoning in defense of any religious idea. Be it Buddhist 'philosophy' or the Muslim dress code or 'proof' of the Resurrection. That's why these arguments all sound so hollow and shitty They started out as thousand year old arguments and until recently were just accepted on faith. Now they have to defend them and resort to making up whatever crap they have to in order to defend it.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(June 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm)Zarith Wrote: Common arguments for the existence of God (such as the ontological argument, the teleological argument, first cause, cosmology, etc), only get you as far as an abstract notion of some sort of god -- the kind that philosophers talk about (if you accept the arguments, that is).

If you believe that the God of the Bible really exists and has the properties ascribed to him by this book, then other means are required to justify belief in this specific God. Typically this comes down to either scriptural authority, or divine revelation, or some combination of the two (for example, belief in the truth of the message of the biblical prophets is belief in both of these things). Am I omitting anything here? Note that I am including 'personal experience with God' under the umbrella of revelation, as God revealing himself to you.

But if you are willing to accept revelation / scripture as vehicles for determining truth from falsehood, then what is the point in attempting to construct a logical argument for the existence of God in the abstract? You already have what you consider proof of his existence, and a logical argument won't prove that your particular God exists. If you are trying to convince someone, they will still have to accept scriptural authority or divine revelation, will they not?

If belief in revelation / scripture is both necessary and sufficient, and logic alone is insufficient -- why bother?

Who's trying to prove God exist, I'm not and I do not believe I've seen any Christian here try it, most of us believe that it is God's work to prove He is real. God asks us to be a witness for Him and then He will draw people to Himself and let them decide to believe or not. Even the scriptures do not try to prove God's existence.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:most of us believe that it is God's work to prove He is real.

The fire the fuck because he sucks at it.

You just can't get good help anymore.
(June 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Insecurity?

This.

I'll bet the number of believers that have been convinced by any of the philosophic arguments (T.A.G., cosmological, ontological, etc) for the existence of a god is extremely low.
No... this wasn't part of our Sunday school lessons.

This was in some ways: Quinque viae

(June 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: These arguments are used primarily to help the believer justify his/her already existing beliefs to be more rational in their own mind. They are trying to convince themselves that their beliefs are based on logic, and not just faith.
No again.... GC was right in that we of Faith aren't trying to convince anyone of God's existence...including ourselves.

There's nothing "rational" about God. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways," declares the LORD"

Your logic is convincing yourself of things that are not understood, or believed!

(June 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: The evidence is that even after being showed the glaring fallacies that they all contain are pointed out, they do not stop using the arguments.

What "glaring fallacies" would that be? Because you don't have Faith, "they all" are not logical.
Quis ut Deus?
(June 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(June 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm)Zarith Wrote: Common arguments for the existence of God (such as the ontological argument, the teleological argument, first cause, cosmology, etc), only get you as far as an abstract notion of some sort of god -- the kind that philosophers talk about (if you accept the arguments, that is).

Who's trying to prove God exist, I'm not and I do not believe I've seen any Christian here try it, most of us believe that it is God's work to prove He is real. God asks us to be a witness for Him and then He will draw people to Himself and let them decide to believe or not. Even the scriptures do not try to prove God's existence.

Go onto youtube. Search for Christopher Hitchens. Watch any of the debates with Christians. As far as I can recall they ALL attempt to cite evidence for God through all of the arguments mentioned.

I would be very surprised if such arguments have not been put forward on this forum really.
I can think of at least one reason: a certain person might reject revelation on the basis that the God of said revelation is purported to be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent. "But," claims the person, "you have not presented any arguments for the claim that such a being exists." So you employ rational argumentation.
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6414 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1930 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9208 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44036 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8139 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2731 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5364 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11705 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4819 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 8993 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII