Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iran's New President
Iran's New President
Iran elected a new president who promises moderation over extremism...Meanwhile, Israel warns that we should not get our hopes up over Iran's newly elected president....Sounds hopeful, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it yet...The final say on that nation's policies is still in the hands of Iran's hardliner fundamentalist muslim clerics...

Quote:Moderate cleric Hassan Rohani won Iran's presidential election on Saturday with a resounding defeat of conservative hardliners, calling it a victory of moderation over extremism and pledging a new tone of respect in international affairs.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fil...%20target=
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Iran's New President
Bollocks.

The Iranian constitution outlines that the "Supreme Islamic leader" meaning the Ayatola, has to approve of each policy or action undertaken by the president or parlarment.

The entire Iranian political system is nothing but a disgusting scam in which it doesn`t even matter whom you elect, since the show is run by the ayatola and his lapdog the revolutionary guard.

Irans isolation will certainly remain in place. So "moderate" my ass! The last time they had a "moderate" in power, that "moderate" sent weapons into Iraq for shias to fight western troops and sunis. Armed Hisbollah to the teeth so that it was capable to become a substancial threat to the rest of the world. And of course flirted arround with the usual scum such as the North Koreans.

The only thing that could change Iran for the better would be a total collapse of the Islamic "Republic", with those responsible for crimes being sent to the trials they deserve!
(June 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Bollocks.

The Iranian constitution outlines that the "Supreme Islamic leader" meaning the Ayatola, has to approve of each policy or action undertaken by the president or parlarment.

The entire Iranian political system is nothing but a disgusting scam in which it doesn`t even matter whom you elect, since the show is run by the ayatola and his lapdog the revolutionary guard.

Irans isolation will certainly remain in place. So "moderate" my ass! The last time they had a "moderate" in power, that "moderate" sent weapons into Iraq for shias to fight western troops and sunis. Armed Hisbollah to the teeth so that it was capable to become a substancial threat to the rest of the world. And of course flirted arround with the usual scum such as the North Koreans.

The only thing that could change Iran for the better would be a total collapse of the Islamic "Republic", with those responsible for crimes being sent to the trials they deserve!
Quote:The entire Iranian political system is nothing but a disgusting scam in which it doesn`t even matter whom you elect, since the show is run by the ayatola and his lapdog the revolutionary guard.
...I suspect as much too...for the moment, I'm not very optimistic either.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
This character was styled a "moderate" because he was the least objectionable of the 6 candidates. He is far from moderate in the western conception of the word.

Most Iranians voted for the lesser of 6 evils.
Yes, but even extremism by shiia ayatollah standards is still quite moderate compared to the Sunni concepts of moderation as practiced by American allies such as Saudi Arabia and the gulf shiekdoms, to say nothing of the so called moderate fraction of Taliban.

To be honest, the bone of contention between the west and Iran is really about geopolitics, not about conflicts in religion or ideology.
This election shows me one thing: even if the Iranian government is batshit crazy, the people aren't. They seem to want more moderation wheras the government wants to be hardline.

I think the US kinda shot itself in the foot with this one. We had such a hard line attitude with Iraq that Iran is afraid to show any weakness. Dubya built a reputation of us as warmongers and now everyone is treating us like warmongers. Not letting Obama off the hook on this one, either; his foreign policy has been only slightly better than Bush. The wars Dubya started, Obama is very slowly ending, but he's the one using a lot of drone strikes and he's still invading our privacy in the name of security. If not for the fact that he's a giant douchebag elsewhere, this makes me wish I could vote for Ron Paul just for the foreign policy.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
TaraJo? Welcome back, unless of course I just saw a ghost.
Quote: Dubya built a reputation of us as warmongers and now everyone is treating us like warmongers

We ARE warmongers.
Our troubles with Iran is traceable to Dubya to a larger degree than you know.

After 911, the Iranians made multiple overtures to the US for a reset in relationship, and took multiple initiative to help the US in afghanistan. But Dubya's administration, swelling with overweening conceit and confident that American military power can solve all problems for all time without the least need for any sort of compromises whatsoever, essentially told Iran to fuck off. "Don't try to befriend us, we will kill you as soon as we are done utterly and completely subjugating Iraq there ain't nothing you can do about it" was the atitude in the Dubya Cheney whitehouse.

It turns out American military could solve precious few problems even temporaily and we, face it, got our asses handed to us in Iraq by a heavily Iranian backed insurgency which Iran back in no small measure because Iran perceived that as their last line of defence against invasion and subjugation which the Bush administration as good as explicitly told them was coming.

Having handed the ass of a superpower to it, it is no surprising if Iran sees no real need to compromise with a "superpower" that talk tough, carry big guns, but can't shoot straight and faints at the sight of blood.
(June 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm)cato123 Wrote: TaraJo? Welcome back, unless of course I just saw a ghost.
Yeah, what can I say; people come and go.

(June 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Dubya built a reputation of us as warmongers and now everyone is treating us like warmongers

We ARE warmongers.

If by "we" you mean the government, yes, we are. If you mean "we" as in 'we the people' we're generally sick and tired of endless wars. We wanted to end Iraq a lot sooner than it did end, we want out of Afghanistan, we want to close Guantanimo Bay, we want to step down the war monger rhetoric towards Iran and North Korea. The problem is the military industrial complex and its strangle hold on the government. Even the liberals don't have candidates to vote for who will fix that. The best I can say about Obama is that he didn't make it worse; he didn't make it a whole lot better.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why superpower countries do not overthrow Islamic government of Iran? Anti.Enslave 18 257 April 23, 2024 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Exclamation Islamic Mafia Criminal Terrorists Gorups and insecurity in Iran AVMXF 22 2001 September 8, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: AVMXF
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 888 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  [Serious] Does Trump deserve some credit if Iran... Jehanne 40 2501 October 2, 2022 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kuchma, the president of Ukraine Interaktive 5 885 June 10, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1712 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  has Biden done a good job as president? Drich 400 25070 May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
  President Biden Foxaèr 74 5167 December 6, 2020 at 1:55 am
  Kanye West 2020 President Raino921 40 2006 August 5, 2020 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Dundee
  President Zelensky and the Withheld Funds Haipule 16 1270 January 27, 2020 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate