Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about atheist book
question about atheist book
Hello everybody
i'm new here but in fact on this moment i only have one question. Out of interest i was searching the net for some information about Tolstoj's view on the meaning of life. I than came across this video on youtube about some adventist, Clifford Goldstein, who has a lot of lecture vids on youtube. But in fact im interested in the atheist book he quotes in the end of the video. Does somebody know what the title and who the author is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwHpfheMIbQ

He starts talking about it around 35:06.

Thanks!
RE: question about atheist book
I don't know, but one thing to keep in mind is that Christians either misunderstand or blatantly misrepresent what vocal atheists say. The book he speaks of may advocate an entirely different viewpoint, but this guy's religiously tainted mind has interpreted it wrongly.
RE: question about atheist book

It may be a reference to Alex Rosenberg's , specifically chapter 12, "Living with scientism: ethics, politics, the humanities, and Prozac as needed."

Quote:Your book is aimed squarely at atheists, but it’s not a book about atheism as such, rather it’s a book about what atheists should believe. What are the most important things that the atheist needs to know about reality? And can he really enjoy life without illusions?

Rosenberg: The most important thing to know about reality is that science understands it well enough to rule out god, and almost everything else that provides wiggle room for theism and mystery mongering. That includes all kinds of purposes, including even ones that conscious introspection suggests we ourselves have. Conscious introspection was shaped by natural selection into tricking us about the nature of reality. We need always to be on our scientific guard against its meretricious temptations. Treating the illusions that rise to consciousness as symptoms, instead of guides to meaning and value, is crucial to enjoying life. It’s not easy, but taking science seriously is the first step, despite the difficulty consciousness puts in the way of understanding it.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book? ƵenKlassen 1 439 November 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Whats your favourite book and why? downbeatplumb 95 10656 November 24, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Malazan Book of the Fallen SofaKingHigh 0 405 November 2, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: SofaKingHigh
  Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series! Aroura 8 1907 September 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Book of Mormon Minimalist 1 794 July 31, 2015 at 1:31 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Fifty Shades of Grey in contention for the British National Book Award Justtristo 0 1134 November 14, 2012 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Book of Us v. Them | Portland (Ore.) Mercury Anymouse 3 1334 July 23, 2011 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Anymouse
  Bible, Koran, Book of Mormons.... Darwinian 3 1971 July 17, 2009 at 3:20 am
Last Post: Faith Tester