Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian deconverted by Primitives
Christian deconverted by Primitives
You heard right, A Christian missionary got deconverted by Primitive tribesman.
http://theimmoralminority.blogspot.jp/20...itive.html
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Christian deconverted by Primitives
Oopsie...

How much you want to bet he wasn't a True Xtian™ to begin with?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The Piraha are a fascinating culture. The grammar of their language contains rules that indicate whether you're talking about something you saw yourself or just heard about.
Seems appropriate.....

[Image: sophisticated-religion.jpg]
(June 17, 2013 at 11:18 am)Minimalist Wrote: Seems appropriate.....

[Image: sophisticated-religion.jpg]
[Image: 083-Ancient-people-worshipped-the-sun-Bu...orship.jpg]
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
Quote:In short, here was a people who were more than happy to live their lives “without God, religion or any political authority”.

Please don't let any other missionaries know, or else they'll flock down there and try to fuck it up.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Wow this one again. The primitive tribe actually do have a spiritual practice that's obscured to make the story.
(June 17, 2013 at 11:17 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: The Piraha are a fascinating culture. The grammar of their language contains rules that indicate whether you're talking about something you saw yourself or just heard about.

That's awesome! Wish English had a similar rule Dodgy
(June 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm)littleendian Wrote: [Image: 083-Ancient-people-worshipped-the-sun-Bu...orship.jpg]
This is something I've never really understood. Along the spectrum from worshipping objects in the natural world (such as the sun, moon, stars, and even seasons), through polytheism, and then on to monotheism, beliefs seem to get more and more absurd. And yet this is the direction in which things have evolved over time.

I'm no sun worshipper, but it's understandable why people would have thought that was the right thing to do. As something that sustains almost all life on earth, it isn't entirely ridiculous. Polytheism and monotheism both seem ridiculous to me, only polytheism slightly less burdened by the logical absurdities which plague the omni-everything types of monotheism.

Why does this happen? Is it syncretism just snowballing bits of religion together so that you get less and less of them but they are each more and more crazy? Or is this the direction in which religions need to evolve in order to be more successful at out-competing one another?
A missionary went to convert a remote tribe, and went to speak to the people.

"God created the entire universe," he said.

"Huzzunga!" shouted the crowd.

"God is our all-powerful ruler," the missionary continued.

"Huzzunga! shouted the crowd.

"God sent his only son to die so that we may have eternal life."

"Huzzunga!" went the crowd.

Feeling fired up, the missionary continued "If you accept God's son Jesus as your personal savior, you will live forever in paradise instead of being thrown into the lake of fire!"

The crowd shouted back even more fervently "Huzzunga!"

"Convert to Christianity and be saved from your heathen ways!" the missionary concluded.

"Huzzunga! Huzzunga! Huzzunga!" said the crowd.

Afterward, the missionary was walking with the tribal chief when he saw the tribe's prized bull. "Can I get closer to see your bull?" the missionary asked.

"Yes," said the chief, "but be careful and don't step in the huzzunga."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.