Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late to the Intro party
Tongue 
Late to the Intro party
Hello, I don't believe in god.

In school I asked the teacher why green was called green and she said, "it just is" At 8 years old I started contemplating manipulation before I knew anything about the concept of manipulation.

When I was 10 we went to a half black/half white baptist church. I wonder now whether the segregation was forced or not, because the week after my brothers and I broke the color barrier by sitting with the black folks we changed to a different church. Keep in mind my parents never went to church with us, like most of you at a young age I was exposed to the indoctrinating babysitting cartels of public schools and churches.

Our new baptist church was a place of misery and abuse. The teenagers that were "employed" to watch the kids were physically abusive. When it was time to accept jesus into our hearts I remember the pastor yelling at 20 kids age 9 to 12 at the top of his voice. The yelling was disturbing and I half-heartedly did the dirty deed, but when I didn't feel any different I started wondering about religion. I wondered if the abuse and yelling was what god wanted from his worshippers.

That was my last run-in with religion up until my wedding. It was somewhat religious. Although my wife is an agnostic, my wife's family paid for it and I didn't want to step on any toes by exposing my anti-theist thoughts. It wasn't in a church and the pastor only said a few prayers and quotes from the book. It sure made me feel uncomfortable when everyone prayed for us. We still have the picture holder with the corinthians quote in a box somewhere. Perhaps that box is also holding the resentment I feel about doing it "thier way" instead of ours.

Fast forward to today:

As I was walking down the street I saw a worm scooting down the hot sidewalk faster than I had ever seen a worm scoot. I unreasonably praised the worm for it's dilligence and then realized that I often do this. I save bugs from drowning, I let flies and spiders out of the house into freedom, My heart sinks when I see a bird with a clipped wing and wonder how I can help - all these things are done by a person with no help from god....however.

When I was young and religious I would do terrible things to insects like throw a fly in a spider's web or cover an ant hill with a plastic bubble and watch them squirm, I never wondered if these poor creatures felt fear. I will confess to being a kid in an abusive environment, so religion isn't the sole reason I did these things. I got older and wiser, I guess. But something has happened within the last few years that has made me change my views on morality and it took a few christians to make me see it.

One guy was my boss, church board of directors member and all the religious bells and whistles that come with it, sometimes I think he carried a bible wherever he went. He was a very nice person and very motivating. He kept his faith and his business seperate except for at moments of personal council, when you needed his help with an issue he was always there to listen...but you knew you were going to hear an awkward prayer afterwards. This man adopted 3 special needs kids and donated a lot of time and money to the people that needed help, it really opened my eyes on what you can do to make a difference.

The other guy is my father-in-law. Apparently he was a real S.O.B. when he was younger, but after life threating surgery he became born-again. The thing that gets me is I have never seen him upset, even when his drug addicted daughter(my wife's sister) stole from his wallet for the third time in as many months, it took a lot out of him to kick her poisonous ass out of the house. He is always there for his neighbors and I can gaurantee if you knocked on his door asking for gas or food he would help you, no matter who you were. This man showed me it's awesome to be a good person, but it's a lot more rewarding to be a great person.

These people are part of the reason I have become a thoughtful, friendly productive member of this society, so if I can give you some good advice it would be:

"Don't turn someone away because of what they believe, give everyone a chance to prove their worth to you."

tl;dr Hi.
Censored
RE: Late to the Intro party
(June 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm)LeoVonFrost Wrote: tl;dr Hi.

Hahha, best summary ever! Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hello and Welcome! Big Grin
An atheist doing nice things is the devil's way of distracting the faithful. Whenever devil worshipers, I mean atheists, do a nice thing, it is confusing to the faithful.

That confusion is the devil diggin' his roots deep into the brain stem! Don't allow it! Fight back against that devil! Don't be fooled into thinking devil worshipers, I mean atheists, can ever do anything moral/good/decent. This is a FACT proven by SCIENCE.

BTW, Hello and Greetings!
Howdy!
I was the atheist (I don't think the church knew, they didn't ask and I didn't tell) babysitter in the church nursery. Never abused any kids, but when they'd ask things like, "What does god look like?" I'd send them to someone else to answer that for them Big Grin
@Jesus: if distracting the faithful is wrong, I don't wanna be right Smile

@festive: kids can usually see right through BS unless they are indoctrinated, its amazing.
Censored
Welcome, Leo.
Howdy!
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1205 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1743 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 1001 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1886 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5163 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 1316 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 4995 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3883 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 2433 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread Redoubtable 16 3378 February 5, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Otisknows