Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will the holocaust be remembered after the last survivor dies?
How will the holocaust be remembered after the last survivor dies?
link to article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22892783
RE: How will the holocaust be remembered after the last survivor dies?
Good article.
There's also Holocaust Museums. The one in DC is always packed, but it's grim. It even has a kid friendly exhibit, that discusses the Holocaust in gentler terms and from a child's perspective. There are newer exhibits too on modern day genocides, like Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia.
(June 19, 2013 at 7:58 am)festive1 Wrote: Good article.
There's also Holocaust Museums. The one in DC is always packed, but it's grim. It even has a kid friendly exhibit, that discusses the Holocaust in gentler terms and from a child's perspective. There are newer exhibits too on modern day genocides, like Rwanda, Darfur, Bosnia.

If anything they should make the kid's exhibit worse than the adult's. Really drive it into their heads at a young age that holocausts are bad. Last thing we want is kids joining the Hitler youth because they had a great, fun time at the Holocaust museum.
Yes, I think that the Holocaust should be exposed for as horrible as it really was, as the worst form of genocide. It's not like they were just going into villages and gunning people down (well, they did at first), but the concentration camps with constant starvation, disease, medical experimentation, and mass murder were the worst way that humans could possibly treat other groups of humans. I think it should all be laid bare so that people should be shocked to see how horrible it all was so that it doesn't happen again.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 19, 2013 at 9:16 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I think it should all be laid bare so that people should be shocked to see how horrible it all was so that it doesn't happen again.
It is happening, right now, open your eyes. Straight from one of the Nazi's victims:

In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought.” -- Isaac Bashevis Singer

Of course you have to first see that suffering is suffering and death is terrifying no matter what species you belong to.

Go ahead and flame my ass for relativizing the holocaust all you want, time will judge.
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
I didn't say that it wasn't happening now, I was just pointing out that it should continue to be exposed for how horrible it was so that it won't happen again.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 19, 2013 at 9:28 am)littleendian Wrote: It is happening, right now, open your eyes. Straight from one of the Nazi's victims:

In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought.” -- Isaac Bashevis Singer

Of course you have to first see that suffering is suffering and death is terrifying no matter what species you belong to.

Go ahead and flame my ass for relativizing the holocaust all you want, time will judge.

Angry

Are you seriously stating that the systematic murder of 12 million people of a certain ethnic heritage is comparable to breeding animals for food?!

If yes, you yourself are doing nothing else but reletavising the worst crime in human history and demonstrate through your own behavior how importent it is to keep the memory alive.

Only a outright holocaust denier could have made a worser post than yours.

Time will judge jackshit! Animals arent black, white, jewish or of any ethnicity. They have no culture and civilisation. Notre are they capable of understanding moral concepts!!!! Nore are animals systematicaly killed on an industral scale for the sole purpose of their extinction!

Therefor the memory of this event is importent to be kept upright to remember how unique this event was..
The kid's exhibit follows the story of a little boy. Through being forced to wear stars and live in a ghetto, to being sent to a camp where he never sees some members if his family again. When you're talking Holocaust for kids aged 7-12, really anything more graphic could be rather traumatizing. It's well done and discusses a lot of the boy's confusion, fear, and hope. If a kid is more curious and mature, you can always take them through the rest of the museum, which is pretty graphic. I just think its nice to have a less-intense experience for younger kids.
(June 19, 2013 at 9:37 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Are you seriously stating that the systematic murder of 12 million people of a certain ethnic heritage is comparable to breeding animals for food?!
Phrases like "Let's make sure that'll never happen again" are nothing but idle talk.

There are horrors happening today, here, as we speak, right under our noses, and I won't remain silent when the shoah is abused as a distractor from the carnages of today, the ones that we share a responsibility for and the ones we can actually do something about.

We can ensure that we will not commit crimes like this ever again only by increasing our compassion, not by reinforcing a utilitarian view on the lifes of others, as is done in todays meat industry. If you can't see frightening parallels between the concentration camps of Nazi Germany and todays CAFOs and slaughter houses, then I say again: Open your eyes.
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
(June 19, 2013 at 10:06 am)littleendian Wrote: Phrases like "Let's make sure that'll never happen again" are nothing but idle talk.

There are horrors happening today, here, as we speak, right under our noses, and I won't remain silent when the shoah is abused as a distractor from the carnages of today, the ones that we share a responsibility for and the ones we can actually do something about.

We can ensure that we will not commit crimes like this ever again only by increasing our compassion, not by reinforcing a utilitarian view on the lifes of others, as is done in todays meat industry. If you can't see frightening parallels between the concentration camps of Nazi Germany and todays CAFOs and slaughter houses, then I say again: Open your eyes.

Open my eyes?!?!?!

Fuck off!!!

All the friendlyness I displayed for you before aside, this what you are claiming here is simply revolting.

Industrial slaughterhouses are certainly not extermination camps!

Go tell that a holocaust surviver! Go ahead and compare him to a chicken!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5354 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Anyone watch last night's debate? Brian37 9 867 September 30, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  So happens if Trump is impeached after the mid terms this fall GODZILLA 16 2507 May 7, 2018 at 4:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  After Due Consideration, I Hope The Fucks Pass It Minimalist 3 574 November 24, 2017 at 5:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Elizabeth Warren Last Night With Stephen Colbert Minimalist 4 922 November 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Apocalypse might be your fault after all WinterHold 28 3044 October 30, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is the Holocaust a cash cow? Europa! 16 1871 September 14, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Zbigniew Brzezinski dies at 89. c172 5 1413 May 27, 2017 at 10:17 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Top Russian Officials Discussed How to Influence Trump Aides Last Summer Foxaèr 5 1694 May 25, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care. Jehanne 29 6191 May 11, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13