Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not coming out, but not hiding it anymore
Not coming out, but not hiding it anymore
We were at a cultural diversity training from work and the speaker had the brilliant idea of doing an activity to "open our minds". He set us up in a straight horizontal line. He asked questions and depending on our answers we had to give a certain amount of steps back or front. For example, if you are white, give two steps forward. If you are Christian, give one step forward. If you are atheist, give two steps back. If your parents went to college, give one step forward. Etcetera. At the end, depending on where you were, you would have an idea of how your culture helped your opportunities in society.

Well, he asked, "If you are LGBTQ and you have already come out, take two steps back." The girl next to me said, "Fuck him." And she took two steps back. I looked at her and she wanted to cry.

So I took two steps back.

My heart was racing. I am not out. I was far from out. I'm 28 and I'm a loser because I'm not out yet. The thing is that I was out of the closet back in California, but when my mother heard a story about me driving around with my girlfriend, she freaked out. So, I went back in the closet when I moved to Arizona. I thought, deny-deny-deny. Then I got married, had my two kids, and this whole time I thought it was not necessary to come out again as a bisexual woman.

Until now. There was my co-worker feeling horrible because she had to be true to herself even though she was scared to be public about it. I couldn't be a coward. I took those two steps back and looked at her and the look in her face was priceless. Only the speaker and one colored, poor, agnostic co-worker saw me. Nobody else did. I was way in the back anyway and each time he asked something it seemed my opportunities in society kept getting thinner and thinner. I guess that what I have accomplished has been by my effort and not by what my family, race, lack of religion, or sexuality has given me.

So, anyway. I decided to not come out, per se, since I didn't see the need. I'm fuckin' married to a man. Our relationship could end one day, and I'd like to be free to be myself instead of facing divorce, plus coming out. So, I will not hide it, either. I have to be truthful. Stand up for me not as an ally, but an actual bisexual woman. Saying I stand up for something unrelated to me when in reality it does relate is a lie. It's bullshit. So, I'm not giving people the power of going up to them with the, "We need to talk," speech, but I'm doing other things to throw out clues. My nails have the red equality sign. Got a tattoo speaking of equality (wore shirts that showed it off, since I like it so much). Convinced co-workers to go with me to a gay pride parade coming up. And also answered the following to my lesbian co-worker who took two steps back (knowing she might go around and tell), "I wasn't just trying to make you feel better. I am Bi-sexual."

Do I regret it? No. Am I terrified? Yes. Not of what other people at work or anywhere else will think. I'm terrified of family wars. I will take baby steps at home. Baby steps are better than being stranded. It's never too late to be honest.

So here's a pic of my tattoo. Blue eye for my baby, green eye for my oldest kid. Ying and Yang for the balance of both sides of my personality (I'm fucked up, I know). Skulls, because underneath we're all the same. The owl in representation of my quest for enlightenment. And the message (Equality rests in our bones), well, you know. Skulls represent that, too. I'd tell you to wish me luck with everything, but wishes don't come true. I'm just glad hell doesn't exist, because I'd be wasted bacon.

[Image: 05f9d15a-92f6-4bae-9da3-57403945209c_zps95cac205.jpg]
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
RE: Not coming out, but not hiding it anymore
Are you happy with your choices (being true to yourself)?

I don't see a problem, but then I don't live in your area.

Stay true to yourself hunny. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You're lesbian? Sweet. Plenty of us here these days.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I don't feel excited, to be honest. I'm content and feel that it was the right thing to do. I'm satisfied. I'm scared, though. I mean, it's not like my family was excited when I came out as atheist, but at least I had my brother to back me up (he's atheist, too). The area where I live is full of traditional people who will probably disapprove. It wouldn't make me happy to stay in my place and let the other girl feel alone, though. She did the right thing, so it was only fair I did the same. Our work place is full of hard core Catholics and Christians. HARD CORE. So, I know what to expect. My family, on the other hand. They're going through a transformation from Christianity to sudden disbelief and deconversion. They are hurting already. Their world has been shaken. Here comes Ivy to shake it up even more. I'm not ready for that. Then again, I don't think I would every be ready anyway.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Just because you are who you are is no reason to go shaking up your family. Live your own life, you're a big girl now and are able to let other people live their lives.

Besides....... You have those two gorgeous little ones to look after! AND a hubster as well!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I agree, but if I stay in the shadows it's a lie and I would be letting other take the heat and I would just be comfortable in the background. I think that's cowardly.

By shaking them up I don't mean trying to make them agree, I mean it will be a hit to them.

And my kids and hub... I'd take pride in them learning honesty from me and then being true to themselves no matter what. I'd hate for them to hide themselves for fear regarding anything.
Half Baked

I am still waiting for that Lesbian video to come true!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Drag wrote:
Quote:I am still waiting for that Lesbian video to come true!

Video? Lesbian videos have come true since forever. Look em up online. There are even some free ones that I could recommend. lol Not high quality, but meh! Skip the ones with high arch- thin brow girls. That's just nasty.
Half Baked

(June 20, 2013 at 1:40 am)Ivy Wrote: Drag wrote:
Quote:I am still waiting for that Lesbian video to come true!

Video? Lesbian videos have come true since forever. Look em up online. There are even some free ones that I could recommend. lol Not high quality, but meh! Skip the ones with high arch- thin brow girls. That's just nasty.

I should have posted the video!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
I live in AZ also, so I sympathize. People ask me what time zone I'm in and I tell them 1958.

I've never entirely understood the need, on principle, for people to "come out." I suppose being open about our differences is healthy, in theory, for ourselves as well as others. Still, sexuality is only part of who are, there's no need to place disproportionate emphasis on it. While there's no rational reason for anybody to be hurt simply by you revealing yourself, people aren't always rational. I can certainly understand not hiding it, though. I don't share my tastes or opinions with people I know couldn't possibly comprehend them, but I don't care if they know. You can't enlighten the determinedly benighted, however honest you are. Since we don't as a rule practice our sexual proclivities on mass transportation, in the work place or the dining area of Whataburger, I don't perceive anyone's sexual behavior (as long as all participants are legally consenting) as any of my business unless I'm in bed with them.

Follow the spirit of your own signature line, "Stop thinking what you think they think you should be thinking. Just think." Best wishes from Prescott.
- C. Neron

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 673 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Coming upon a smashed $70K truck. Jehanne 6 661 December 26, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Brace yourselves... Christmas is coming! T.J. 71 2897 December 25, 2021 at 11:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Nobody wants to work anymore Foxaèr 92 6160 October 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2332 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Not that I ever will again, but.... Brian37 40 2841 April 8, 2020 at 11:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pranks you have pulled, but would not now. Brian37 19 1097 February 21, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [NOT SERIOUS] But wondering.... Brian37 14 2114 January 26, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Are restaurants (USA) known for not paying employees who quit/walk out? EgoDeath 6 951 October 29, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  You knew this thread was coming. Foxaèr 42 3240 October 21, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet