Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious sayings
Religious sayings
Today I noticed a handful of religious sayings, while I was out. Most were phrases we hear often and pass off.

I heard today.
God bless you
Have a blessed day.
The devil made me do it. - This one really got under my skin. A lady said this after laughing at someone who was struggling with a grocery cart.

Anyway, I just thought that if you wanted to share some religious sayings you have to deal with in daily life, you could do so here.
RE: Religious sayings
I do not deal with the public enough for them to say much of anything like that to me. When I do go out, I tend to wear my ipod so that they are less inclined to bother me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm not in an area with that many fundies, so I'm not constantly exposed to religious phrases. The one I never get though is saying "bless you" when somebody sneezes. Most other languages's response to sneezing is a term bestowing good health on the sneezer, such as Gesundheit in German or salud in Spanish. Why the fuck do us English speakers "bless" people for sneezing? It makes little sense to me.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
It has to do with an old superstition. People used to say "God, bless you" or "May God bless you". They thought it would ward off the illness that was going around at the time. I can't remember if it was the plague or what.
Yeah, I've head people also say that it's because mediaeval people thought that sneezing was the soul trying to escape the body, sounds like a bunch of horseshit false etymology to me though, but I could be wrong.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Because I live in a Muslim ghetto in France the phrases are a little different.
I can hear Muslims say that between them : السلام عليكم (peace be upon you).
When a Muslim say that the person answer : وعليكم السلام (And that the peace be upon you too).
(June 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm)Savannahw Wrote: Today I noticed a handful of religious sayings, while I was out. Most were phrases we hear often and pass off.

I heard today.
God bless you
Have a blessed day.
The devil made me do it. - This one really got under my skin. A lady said this after laughing at someone who was struggling with a grocery cart.

Anyway, I just thought that if you wanted to share some religious sayings you have to deal with in daily life, you could do so here.

Something women say is "He's well blessed" Which indicates the man has a big cock.

Also just a simple "bless you" when someone sneezes. I've heard was to prevent the soul being sneezed out of the body.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I thought that was "well hung?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32877 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope