Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 3:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the difference between Atheism and Anti-Theism
What is the difference between Atheism and Anti-Theism
I am an atheist, Religion has done nothing for me (only hurt me emotionally since I am gay) and it is just a fairly tale to explain the world to people who at the time had limited scientific scientific understanding.

But I get called an anti-christian or anti-theist I don't get people to drop religion I just don't follow one because it makes no sense to me
RE: What is the difference between Atheism and Anti-Theism
Atheism is the rejection of a belief in a the existence of a deity.

Anti-theism is active opposition to theism.

The people calling you anti-theists are doing so because they typically do not understand squat regarding anything except their silly beliefs. After all, they can sometimes be fond of calling us satanists and anti-christs.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: What is the difference between Atheism and Anti-Theism
What's more, I don't think there's anything wrong with being an anti-theist. Because anti-theism says nothing about your outlook to creators, there's no intellectual dishonesty for agnostics; anti-theism is a religious stance. It just denotes opposition to religion.

Me, I probably am an anti-theist, in that I think religions do a lot of harm and we could definitely do without them. If someone accuses you of that, I say wear it with pride; having a position opposing something isn't a bad thing, especially if you genuinely feel- and can demonstrate- the harm that thing is causing.

The people tossing those terms at you are trying to put a negative spin on them implicitly, and backing off from those terms confirms and strengthens that. But they really just mean that you're in disagreement; hell, the christians that use anti-theist as a derogatory when referring to you are themselves anti-theists when it comes to other religions, probably. Scientology almost definitely. Tongue

So... hey! Big Grin
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2097 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2529 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 1952 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1933 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1871 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1694 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1796 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1425 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18033 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3434 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H