Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kon'nichiwa!
Kon'nichiwa!
Ha-ha, I have never been in a social environment where free thinkers were dominant. I joined the forums in the anticipation of intellectual discussions about philosophy and science, something I am continually deprived of on the internet or social life. I have a few close friends that enjoy these topics but seeing as I’m away from home for the summer with my highly spiritual Aunt and her religiously indoctrinated female offspring, I am at a loss of cognitive stimulation.

I might as well explain how I became an Atheist. I was raised in a moderately religious environment, my mother would take my brothers and I to church every Sunday and we’d go to every holiday and event held there. We did this for years, I never took an interest in the subject all the cartoons, books, and teachings never struck my interest. I was always acting comical in the youth group because of a girl I took a liking to; though the pastor seemed to hate me for it, but I loved making her laugh.

The one experience that I can pinpoint in my childhood that led me to question every aspect of my faith was a Christian concert I once went to with a youth group. There were thousands of people in a stadium, worshiping and praising this so called God. While they sang and prayed I sat there quietly observing those around me, my friends Dad tapped me on the shoulder and said “C’mon! It’s fun!” I then stood up, and for a moment I was immersed in the sheer faith of all these believers. A thought sparked in my adolescent brain that instigated the wealth of knowledge and change I would endure. What was I doing?! Why is this any different from the Kings and Dictators we learned about in history class?! If this is so demonstrable then why can it not be questioned, why doesn’t everybody do as they do?!

When I got home the next day, I made use of the home computer and studied and discovered that I was not alone. There were others that questioned their faith like I had, discovering a new world beyond the closed mind they had once tightly sealed shut. I was convinced to learn more and as I did I became more and more aware of what religion really was. I slowly began to break free from the boundaries of faith.
Over the next few years I was a closet Atheist, switching over to Agnostic at one point for social concern, and then finally decided to be an open Atheist, frequently commenting against Facebook posts that had to do with “Like for Jesus, Ignore for Satan”, pointing out religious flaws, engaging in both hostile arguments; instigated by believers, and calmly discussed various viewpoints.

I will continue to expand my mind until the day I die; I look forward to living life, not worshiping death. There is so much more to do, so much more to experience and I have a head start! I managed to surpass the socially acceptable confines of religiosity at the age of eighteen. I am proud to be an Atheist.
At times of chaos, humans are subjected to emotion, rather than logic.
RE: Kon'nichiwa!
Guten Abend
Konbanwa, Glitch-san.

(I saw Shogun, too.)
Shalom! Welcome
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
Welcome and enjoy the forum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_BSF04ojQs

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Konnichiwa to irasshamasu! Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(June 26, 2013 at 2:32 am)Glitch Wrote: Ha-ha, I have never been in a social environment where free thinkers were dominant.
>Implying
Howdy!
Welcome Glitch

Enjoy the forums.