Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Doings Down Under
Big Doings Down Under
And no...this is not another gay marriage thread.

http://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-rudd-labo...8-Jun2013/

Quote:THE FORMER AUSTRALIAN prime minister Kevin Rudd has returned to power this morning after ousting Julia Gillard in a dramatic Labor party leadership heave.

Rudd’s return to his old job comes three years after Gillard toppled him in a leadership heave, and just over a year after he unsuccessfully challenged Gillard’s leadership.
RE: Big Doings Down Under
I know absolutly nothing about Australian politics.

It sounds very english and I considere english democracy to be very rotten.
Labour were desperately lagging behind the Liberals in the polls with Julia leading, Kevin was polling better (not hard to really), so they swapped em (for the second time).
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Interesting.
Oh goody, Rudd just got the job of captain of the Titanic.

Lucky him.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(June 26, 2013 at 8:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And no...this is not another gay marriage thread.

To their east, the prime minister of New Zealand gives a great speech on the subject of gay marriage.

I especially liked his response to the warning that he was going to "burn in Hell for all eternity" at 1:08.

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I actually feel bad for not knowing more about UK and Australian politics (at least). If anyone feels like they can give me concise run downs, I'd be glad to talk about it over e-mail or private messaging. I've no head for politics as a Real Thing - mostly just a comedians' grasp of the players that make up the farce.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I'm the same, summer.
(June 26, 2013 at 8:56 pm)Stue Denim Wrote: Labour were desperately lagging behind the Liberals in the polls with Julia leading, Kevin was polling better (not hard to really), so they swapped em (for the second time).

Federal Labor MP's (Members of Parliament) want to avoid if possible the losing of between 1/3 and 1/2 (between 1/6 and 1/4 of the total members) of their representation in the House of Representatives in the forthcoming election.
undefined
Well as your resident Lib-Party member, let me offer a small piece of opinion! Smile

The ALP have now knifed 3 of their last 4 prime ministers: Hawke, Rudd, Gillard. They did it to themselves.

Whether or not the polls would be "better under Rudd" or (in 2010) "better under Gillard" it was the wrong thing to do. I have so little respect for any party that would do this. What is really telling is the fact that there were no clear policy differences that lead Rudd (and his supporters in the caucus) to do this. When Gillard did it in 2010 to Rudd (and yes the so-called "faceless men" like Bill Shorten were behind it more than she was) she announced that the government would pull the Mining-tax advertising, and re-negotiate - then went to the election promising the Australian public "no mining tax" and "no carbon tax". She then went ahead an introduced both.

So I'm not surprised that Rudd hasn't offered his policies - the ones that are vitally different to what the Australian public is currently fed up with, but I can't stress the point enough that the actual policies themselves have nothing whatsoever to do with this. And that I think is what is so corrupt and dishonourable about the whole thing. All it's about is trying to "win the game". Well that's fine if you're playing games, but it's not fine if you're trying to govern a democratic country.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1285 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Bringing out the big guns. onlinebiker 24 1625 August 17, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Prague Mayor under police protection Mr Greene 4 408 April 28, 2020 at 6:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1670 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4575 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Trump under fire for racially-charged tweets against congresswomen zebo-the-fat 151 9890 August 10, 2019 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 833 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  The further dumbing down of the POTUS Joods 6 897 September 20, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1661 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Oh, Poor Mike Pence. His Favorite Hobby Horse Shot Down Minimalist 8 1699 April 21, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger