Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse cloned from a drop of blood
Mouse cloned from a drop of blood
Quote:Scientists in Japan have cloned a mouse from a single drop of blood.

Circulating blood cells collected from the tail of a donor mouse were used to produce the clone, a team at the Riken BioResource Center reports in the journal Biology of Reproduction.

The female mouse lived a normal lifespan and could give birth to young, say the researchers.

Scientists at a linked institute recently created nearly 600 exact genetic copies of one mouse.

Mice have been cloned from several different sources of donor cells, including white blood cells found in the lymph nodes, bone marrow and liver.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
This technique would be applicable for generating genetic copies of invaluable strains of mice”
End Quote
Research team

Riken BioResource Center, Tsukuba

The Japanese research group investigated whether circulating blood cells could also be used for cloning.

Their aim was to find an easily available source of donor cells to clone scientifically valuable strains of laboratory mice.

The team, led by Atsuo Ogura, of Riken BioResource Center in Tsukuba, took blood from the tail of a donor mouse, isolated the white blood cells, and used the nuclei for cloning experiments, using the same technique that produced Dolly the sheep in Edinburgh.

The process, known as somatic cell nuclear transfer, involves transferring the nucleus from an adult body cell - such as a blood or skin cell - into an unfertilised egg that has had its nucleus removed.

Reporting their findings in the US journal, Biology of Reproduction, the scientists said the study "demonstrated for the first time that mice could be cloned using the nuclei of peripheral blood cells".

'Invaluable strains'

They added: "These cells could be used for cloning immediately after collection and no donor animals need to be euthanised.

"This technique would be applicable for generating genetic copies of invaluable strains of mice, which cannot be preserved by other assisted reproductive techniques such as conventional in vitro fertilisation or intracytoplasmic sperm injection."

Scientists in Japan have years of experience in cloning mice.

A team at a linked institute recently revealed they had produced almost 600 mice from one donor mouse after 25 consecutive rounds of cloning.

The research is aimed at large-scale production of high-quality animals for farming or conservation purposes, they say.

Commenting on the study, Professor Robin Lovell-Badge of the MRC National Institute of Medical Research in London, said it was a useful small advance on previous work showing that it is possible to clone mice from a variety of adult cell types, including white blood cells.

He told BBC News: "The efficiency of cloning from these cell types was very good, suggesting that even a small drop of blood will contain sufficient numbers...this is helpful if the intention is to use cloning to propagate and expand numbers of rare or valuable types of individual or species."

Read the article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23068423
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Mouse cloned from a drop of blood
That's pretty cool.

Call me a paranoid pessimist, but things like this make me fear that we could be opening pandora's box so-to-speak as far as this being a technology that mankind could not use responsibly. I guess I just have little faith in the human race.
Too bad there is no shortage of mice. This would really drive the price down.
(June 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Too bad there is no shortage of mice. This would really drive the price down.

lab mice are expensive XD. cos they're genetically modified and bred special.
GMO mice?

What will those corporate crooks think of next?
At last the time has come! Let's start taking blood samples of all the animals and create our high tech Noah's ark. Once we got blood samples of everything, wipe it all out. We'll clone them back into existence later when we get a better planet.
Redwall!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
mice with human proteins have been going on forever, it's for research to see how substances are handled by human proteins without endangering an actual human.
(June 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Faith No More Wrote: That's pretty cool.

Call me a paranoid pessimist, but things like this make me fear that we could be opening pandora's box so-to-speak as far as this being a technology that mankind could not use responsibly. I guess I just have little faith in the human race.

It may just be me, but I don't really see where cloning technology is going to lead to anything, really. Good or bad.
Think of cloning those boobs in your avatar.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure? FlatAssembler 14 847 December 26, 2023 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Making and using acellular blood vessels, it's pretty damn cool! brewer 1 412 May 31, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Cloned monkeys: First primate clones are created in lab shadow 2 520 January 25, 2018 at 5:56 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Pregnant blood kills men! brewer 7 1113 October 26, 2017 at 7:15 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I need help on info regarding a rare blood disease yasalam 30 4701 February 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Blood... lifesagift 33 4198 October 14, 2014 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Turning blood into stem cells downbeatplumb 2 1576 January 29, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Young Blood, Better Brain? thesummerqueen 5 3273 October 19, 2012 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Doctors Drop Unvaccinated Patients thesummerqueen 15 3221 March 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Blood Sucking Moths lukec 1 2366 November 30, 2008 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet