Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Perry does it again....
Rick Perry does it again....
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...picks=true

Quote:The Texas governor who drew national attention for his "oops" moment during the last GOP presidential primary has been thrust back into the national spotlight, thanks to the 11-hour filibuster of Texas State Senator Wendy Davis. And so has his awkward way with language.
The fact is, who are we to say that children born into the worst of circumstances can't grow to live successful lives?" Perry asked Thursday in a speech before the 43rd annual National Right to Life Convention in Dallas. "In fact, even the woman who filibustered the Senate the other day was born into difficult circumstances.
She was the daughter of a single woman. She was a teenage mother herself. She managed to eventually graduate from Harvard Law School and serve in the Texas senate," Perry continued. "It's just unfortunate that she hasn't learned from her own example that every life must be given a chance to realize its full potential and that every life matters."

It was classic mansplaining -- as Elyse Fradkin pithily summarized it on Twitter, "when a man explains to a woman how she should view the meaning of her own life experience."
"The louder they scream, the more we know we are getting something done," he said of the abortion-rights supporters.

Help me out here guys, I'm trying very hard to figure something out here.
Once again Capt. Oops! has stuck his foot in his mouth so deep as to tickle
his tonsils. This is the part I cannot figure out:
How does a man who goes through life with his head so firmly planted
up his ass stick his foot in his mouth over and over again?Thinking
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

RE: Rick Perry does it again....
It is Texas, and this texan's texasness is so great he is the governor of Texas. Does this answer the question?
There is probably nothing wrong with Texas.

Texans, OTOH, are fucked up beyond belief.
I'm sorry, but as a matter of principle, I ignore anyone who attempts to gives legitimacy to the term "mansplaining" by using it positively in a sentence.

As much as I despise Rick Perry, the fact is, this is a bill that affects women, so of course he is going to talk about women. If Rick Perry was a woman, and said the same thing, would it be "femsplaining"? I doubt it. The term "mansplaining" is sexist, and only seems to be used by the ultra feminists to try and silence the opinions of men in conversations.
(June 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm sorry, but as a matter of principle, I ignore anyone who attempts to gives legitimacy to the term "mansplaining" by using it positively in a sentence.

As much as I despise Rick Perry, the fact is, this is a bill that affects women, so of course he is going to talk about women. If Rick Perry was a woman, and said the same thing, would it be "femsplaining"? I doubt it. The term "mansplaining" is sexist, and only seems to be used by the ultra feminists to try and silence the opinions of men in conversations.

I can understand your concerns on that, I would even go so far as to agree that it does in fact seem to be a mite, shall we say “reverse sexist”. Having said that I also feel that what is going on here that led to the term 'mansplaining' to come into use is that it does indeed occur, and frequently at that. Women are understandably sick of it. Men, especially overpriveleged white ones like Perry, have nothing to care about here. Why does he care about whether women have access to abortion beyond the reflexive reaction to a threat to the whole notion of patriarchy and misogyny? That is what he is doing, and it is bloody obvious. Women have plenty to be pissed about, and there is such a phenomenon as 'mansplaining.'
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

(June 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm)Raven Wrote: Men, especially overpriveleged white ones like Perry, have nothing to care about here. Why does he care about whether women have access to abortion beyond the reflexive reaction to a threat to the whole notion of patriarchy and misogyny?
Did you even read what he said? He explained why he cared about it quite succinctly:

Quote:every life must be given a chance to realize its full potential and that every life matters

I don't care if you disagree with his views, but the fact is, he explained why he opposed the bill, and he wasn't being misogynistic when doing it.

In fact, there's another word that is used far too often without proper consideration. "Misogyny" is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. I can't see any part of his speech where he expressed such hatred or dislike. The fact that most (male) pro-life advocates get called it by pro-choice advocates is not something to be proud of. Some of these people (Perry included) have wives and daughters, and I severely doubt they "hate" or "dislike" them.

Edit: ...and no, there is no such thing as "mansplaining". There is only "explaining". You can do it very well; you can do it very poorly. Heck, you can even do it offensively, but it doesn't ever become "mansplaining".
Quote: and he wasn't being misogynistic when doing it.

Every breath that motherfucker takes is misogynistic.
Lots of misogynist bastards have wives and daughters. That doesn't stop them from being misogynists. The 'hood I grew up in in Brooklyn was loaded with guys like that, my own father included.
― Christopher Hitchens

You don't find the fact that he's trying to take away the rights of women to have abortions a bit misogynistic?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Oh,.. that`s the guy who thinks that Sam Houston wanted to abolish slavery.

Despite the fact that Sam Houston owned 12 slaves and made his wealth through slaves.

So either stupid or a historic revisionist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Former Republican Rick Wilson Nails It Minimalist 4 617 August 26, 2018 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Rick Perry to Head the Energy Department: Kiss Government Climate Science Goodbye Crossless2.0 31 5491 December 14, 2016 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Do You Feel Sorry For Rick Santorum? AFTT47 32 3360 February 3, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rick Santorum says gays are at fault. Brian37 28 4308 October 25, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Rick Perry Indicted Minimalist 34 3959 August 20, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Wouldn't This Fry Rick Perry's Testicles? Minimalist 0 723 February 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Wendy Davis:Gov Perry Has Demeaned His Office Raven 19 5106 July 3, 2013 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Rick Perry: King of Irony... Minimalist 11 3009 June 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide DeistPaladin 16 7990 April 16, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Rick Santorum wants a theocracy. Brian37 10 3341 March 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Ike963