Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fastball - Evolution's Peak?
The Fastball - Evolution's Peak?
http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/...adaptation

Quote:It’s easy to marvel at the athleticism required to throw a 90-mile-per-hour fastball, but when Neil Roach watches baseball, he sees something else at work – evolution.

That ability – to throw an object with great speed and accuracy – is an uniquely human adaptation, one that Roach believes was crucial in our evolutionary past. How, when and why humans evolved the ability to throw so well is the subject of a study published in the journal Nature. The team found that a suite of changes to our shoulders and arms allowed early humans to more efficiently hunt by throwing projectiles, helping our ancestors become part-time carnivores and paving the way for a host of later adaptations, including increases in brain size and migration out of Africa.

OF course, the creatards will insist that "adam" had a 90 mph fastball, too!
RE: The Fastball - Evolution's Peak?
Awesome. That's for the website link. I didn't know about this one.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Jesus invented baseball and the fastball.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I posted this on "The Thinking Atheist" and some guy came back with this.

Pretty funny except to our British cousins who don't know much about baseball.
(June 30, 2013 at 10:53 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Jesus invented baseball and the fastball.

Noah and his family were one of the original MLB teams, durr.
(June 30, 2013 at 11:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 30, 2013 at 10:53 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Jesus invented baseball and the fastball.

Noah and his family were one of the original MLB teams, durr.

Always getting rained out.

(guys a nutball...but a completely legit nutball)
"What it amounts to, is a shitload of groceries"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 30, 2013 at 11:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(June 30, 2013 at 11:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Noah and his family were one of the original MLB teams, durr.

Always getting rained out.

Everyone else got rained out, so Noah won the World Series kind of in a literal way. And then Noah thanks God for scoring a touchdown.
(June 30, 2013 at 11:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Pretty funny except to our British cousins who don't know much about baseball.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersp...erica.html

Quote:A diary has been found which describes the game being played by a teenager in Guildford in 1755.
Previously it had been thought that the game developed in America in the 1790s.
But this new proof indicates that the British can claim to have invented yet another of the world's great games, formerly considered as American as apple pie.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

British "baseball" would be as exciting as British cooking....or warm beer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30329 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger