Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you rate?
Lightbulb 
How do you rate?
How Do You Rate?

Found this interesting quiz that tests your level of philosophical understanding. I'm curious to know how other people here score on the test. Post your results, and identify which ones you got wrong. As for me:

95% (1 wrong)

I got the 'person' question wrong (#16). I answered that a person is "a member of an ideological category including those with similar ideas about personhood." However, the test proclaimed that a person is "a member of a moral category who, by virtue of possessing a certain nature and having certain characteristics, is deserving of all the rights and respect that any other member of that category enjoys (which may include members of other species and may exclude some humans)." I would have gone with this answer but that last clause bothered me ("...may exclude some humans"). I could not think of a scenario in which any human could be considered not-a-person.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
RE: How do you rate?
90%

Question 9 I put "the mind/body problem" as a guess Big Grin
Question 15 I put the same as you. (ideological category) I don't agree with the answer either though. How can one exclude any human from being a person?

Pretty pleased about the result though Big Grin
85%, which I'm satisfied with since I haven't had any schooling in the subject at all.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Yeesh 60%, I missed 2,3,5,7,11,14,16, and 20. I've only recently been introduced to many of these terms so I guess I could use a little more studying. Oh, and I only got 15 because Arcanus gave me the answer, I am confident I would not have chosen that for an answer.

They don't teach much philosophy in business school or Sunday school.

Rhizo
(September 21, 2009 at 11:45 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: They don't teach much philosophy in business school or Sunday school.

Rhizo

Indeed, what I know I've mostly picked up from talking to people or listening to people debate this stuff.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Eilonnwy,

It seems like our education system is ass-backwards. It tries to cram knowledge into our heads and strongly suggests higher learner while basically ridiculing any other path to success (The trades, crafts, art, on-the-job training) all the while failing to teach methods to rank and rate the quality of knowledge that we accept. I guess it is a good thing that I happened to find this forum. I am certainly not part of the, "deluded and happy" camp, I actually strive to be right.

Rhizo
(September 21, 2009 at 12:10 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Eilonnwy,

It seems like our education system is ass-backwards. It tries to cram knowledge into our heads and strongly suggests higher learner while basically ridiculing any other path to success (The trades, crafts, art, on-the-job training) all the while failing to teach methods to rank and rate the quality of knowledge that we accept. I guess it is a good thing that I happened to find this forum. I am certainly not part of the, "deluded and happy" camp, I actually strive to be right.

Rhizo

Indeed, our education system needs a lot of work.

65%
I missed 5,7,10,11,14,15,18. Meh I've never been extremely fond of philosophy, and the fact that I'm not fluent in English doesn't help.
[Image: pPQu8.png]
A teacher told me about a plan that I think would be more beneficial than just raw knowledge pushing. He spoke of half days in school learning and the other half would be spent doing work within the community. A compromise between apprenticeship and scholastics. His argument was that not everyone could make it as a scholastically trained employee. Some would require a different life path. Right now most of those people end up in the military, so I guess THAT might be why there isn't a drive to renovate our school system. Another reason it would be good to get students out to see what the real world is so they could see how the knowledge they are aquiring might be used in the real world.

Rhizo
(September 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: A teacher told me about a plan that I think would be more beneficial than just raw knowledge pushing. He spoke of half days in school learning and the other half would be spent doing work within the community. A compromise between apprenticeship and scholastics. His argument was that not everyone could make it as a scholastically trained employee. Some would require a different life path. Right now most of those people end up in the military, so I guess THAT might be why there isn't a drive to renovate our school system. Another reason it would be good to get students out to see what the real world is so they could see how the knowledge they are aquiring might be used in the real world.

Rhizo

Definitely. Especially when you consider that not all students learn the same way and it's proven that visual and audio help makes learning easier. I've known for a while that I'm an auditory learner. I can have trouble absorbing literature but if you take the same thing and just talk about it, my ability to retain the information is better.

I like that idea of combining less classroom studies and more experience based learning. Experiences are what help people to retain the knowledge.