Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with the theory of evolution.
Lightbulb 
Problems with the theory of evolution.
Hi. I'm new here so this will be my first post. I'm Jamie from Alabama. I'm a proud Baptist and I'd like to point out a few inconsistencies I found in the theory of evolution.

The first point I'd like to make is in relation to the age of the earth and how it ties in with "evolution". I'm a young earth creationist. I believe that God created the earth approximately 5,000-6,000 years ago, and there is a good reason for this belief. Atheist scientists will tell us that the earth is approximately 4.6 billion years old, but this is impossible. Please hear me out and let me explain before you scoff and abandon this thread.

Atheist scientists believe that we evolved from stardust (even just saying it in a sentence sounds silly lol)

Quote:During a supernova, when a massive star explodes at the end of its life, the resulting high energy environment enables the creation of some of the heaviest elements including iron and nickel. The explosion also disperses the different elements across the universe, scattering the stardust which now makes up planets including Earth. Any element heavier than hydrogen is ultimately a product of the nuclear fusion that takes place within stars.

So apparently we are living beings that evolved from lifeless materials. It doesn't make much sense to me because last weekend I was sitting by a lake pondering God's marvelous creation when I picked up a rock and stared at it. It suddenly dawned on me that if that very rock was 4.6 billion years old like athiest scientists say it is, then rocks would have evolved into intelligent creatures also. If evolution really was true and we all evolved from lifeless materials over 4.6 billion years, then that rock should also be a mammal or an insect or something by now. But there it was, still a useless rock, just sitting there. No brain, no self-awareness. Nothing.

This is another point I'd like to make. In my senior year of science class my teacher (who I also suspect is an atheist) was explaining to us that humans developed large complex brains because "we integrated meat into our diets a long time ago".

Quote:The modern human brain is two to three times larger than that of our closest relatives, chimpanzees. But to supply energy to such metabolically demanding tissue, a distinct trade-off in energy allocation had to evolve. Meat and other protein-rich foods were evolutionary drivers of bigger, more complex human brains.

Sounds silly to me. We started eating meat and the protein made us evolve a larger more complex brain, resulting in superior intelligence? Okay... well we aren't the only species that eats meat lol. Why didn't other animals evolve to be as intelligent as us? I can name dozens and dozens of animals that eat meat, but can you name how many lions you've met that attended university and became doctors? When you went to high school did you have a grizzly bear teacher? Have you ever had your taxes done by a dog accountant? Nope, not me anyways. A human did my taxes this year.

Also, I did some research on something else. Apparently the total amount of water on earth is "1.386x10^21 liters", whatever that means. I don't know what the X and the ^ is for, but I'll continue anyways. There are almost 7 billion people on earth, so let's assume that human beings drink two liters of water a day, which could be true for some people. Some people drink a lot of water. That would mean that every human being on this planet collectively drinks 12x10^9 liters of water a day (I'm pretty sure that's right, I had to ask some Asian guy I know to do the math for me. I kinda suck at math)

Now here's what I'm getting at... atheist scientists say that life evolved around 3 billion years ago, so this would mean that human beings alone (excluding animals) would have consumed 9.5 times the amount of water on this planet. This is obviously impossible, because if this were true our oceans would be completely drained by now. So how do we still have large amounts of unused water?

One more quick thing. If there is no oxygen in space, then how does the sun keep burning? We all know that fire needs oxygen to keep burning.
RE: Problems with the theory of evolution.
Hello Jamie, and welcome to the forums! I used to be a creationist too. Oh and BaptistSmile

So I'm sure other posters will sufficiently suffice for your questions about abiogenesis, so I thought I'd start off by welcoming you and answering the sun question.

It is not burning as hot as a flame, it's burning hotter. The sun is a giant ball of gases and is actually made mostly of Hydrogen. We know this from pictures that are able to take pictures of elements. The core of the sun uses the process of fusion in which it fuses 4 hydrogen atoms to make 1 helium atom, releasing radiation, energy, and light. The sun loses 400 Million tons every second in this process, thus it is burning constantly and will eventually putter out like stars do that we are able to observe in the final stage of their existence.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 11, 2013 at 3:07 am)jamie_russels Wrote: Hi. I'm new here so this will be my first post. I'm Jamie from Alabama.

Hello Jamie and welcome to AF! ^_^

Quote:Atheist scientists will tell us that the earth is approximately 4.6 billion years old, but this is impossible.

No, all scientists in the field agree, regardless of religion or lack thereof.

Quote:Atheist scientists believe that we evolved from stardust (even just saying it in a sentence sounds silly lol)

Scientist know that without the massive gravitational forces of stars, no atoms bigger than helium would be found. Evolution has nothing to do with it.

Quote:So apparently we are living beings that evolved from lifeless materials.

Yes, or do you suggest that a water or sugar molecule is 'alive'?

Quote:It doesn't make much sense to me because last weekend I was sitting by a lake pondering God's marvelous creation when I picked up a rock and stared at it. It suddenly dawned on me that if that very rock was 4.6 billion years old like athiest scientists say it is, then rocks would have evolved into intelligent creatures also.

You obviously have no idea what evolution is, do you? DNA is the key, read up on it.

Quote:Also, I did some research on something else. Apparently the total amount of water on earth is "1.386x10^21 liters", whatever that means. I don't know what the X and the ^ is for, but I'll continue anyways.

Are you a troll or are you just mathematically handicapped? the x stands for times and ^ meand 'to the power of'. So you could write the expression 1.386 times 10 to the power of 21. I wish you wouldn't continue, since you're making me painfully embarrassed for your sake, since you're quite the ignoramus.

Quote:There are almost 7 billion people on earth, so let's assume that human beings drink two liters of water a day, which could be true for some people. Some people drink a lot of water. That would mean that every human being on this planet collectively drinks 12x10^9 liters of water a day (I'm pretty sure that's right, I had to ask some Asian guy I know to do the math for me. I kinda suck at math)

Let's try this out:

(1.386x10^21)-(12x10^9)= 1385999999988000000000 l

What's the problem? Isn't 1385999999988000000000 liters left over enough for you?

Quote:Now here's what I'm getting at... atheist scientists say that life evolved around 3 billion years ago, so this would mean that human beings alone (excluding animals) would have consumed 9.5 times the amount of water on this planet. This is obviously impossible, because if this were true our oceans would be completely drained by now. So how do we still have large amounts of unused water?

Have you slept through your biology classes, or are you perhaps home-schooled by a parent, who is as stupid as you are? It's called the water cycle, educate yourself woman!

Quote:One more quick thing. If there is no oxygen in space, then how does the sun keep burning? We all know that fire needs oxygen to keep burning.

Yeah, I call big ugly troll on this one.

EDIT: If you're actually from Alabama, what are you doing in Vancouver, Canada..? Trolling, perhaps? Thinking
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(July 11, 2013 at 3:07 am)jamie_russels Wrote: Hi. I'm new here so this will be my first post. I'm Jamie from Alabama. I'm a proud Baptist and I'd like to point out a few inconsistencies I found in the theory of evolution.

Okay, so first of all, welcome on board. Second, and I don't mean to be insulting, but are you for real? We in the online atheist community are pretty used to being trolled, is that what you're doing?

(I guess I'm kind of covering my ass here, because I don't wanna be seen as getting drawn in if it turns out you are fake. Tongue )

Assuming you're not- and I will, because I like talking and this seems kind of fun anyway, and I like thinking the best of people- let's continue:

Quote:The first point I'd like to make is in relation to the age of the earth and how it ties in with "evolution".

Well, here's your first mistake: it doesn't. Evolution is a theory that solely deals with existing life, and it makes no claim as to anything that happened before life existed, nor the creation of the universe, nor even the creation of life. Just what happens to life over time. Creationists like to conflate evolution with things like abiogenesis and the beginnings of the universe in order to make the theory seem ridiculous and overreaching, but when they do so, they're simply incorrect.

Quote:I'm a young earth creationist. I believe that God created the earth approximately 5,000-6,000 years ago, and there is a good reason for this belief. Atheist scientists will tell us that the earth is approximately 4.6 billion years old, but this is impossible. Please hear me out and let me explain before you scoff and abandon this thread.

Having read through your entire post, you never once tell us what your good reason for believing in a young earth is, nor do you explain why you feel an old earth is impossible. Not to bog down the thread from its intended purpose, but would you mind doing so? Big claims made without evidence give me hives. Tongue

Quote:Atheist scientists believe that we evolved from stardust (even just saying it in a sentence sounds silly lol)

It sounds silly because it is silly, and no atheist, nor scientist, would say such a thing. In fact, I'd challenge you to find one who has.

Quote:
Quote:During a supernova, when a massive star explodes at the end of its life, the resulting high energy environment enables the creation of some of the heaviest elements including iron and nickel. The explosion also disperses the different elements across the universe, scattering the stardust which now makes up planets including Earth. Any element heavier than hydrogen is ultimately a product of the nuclear fusion that takes place within stars.

So apparently we are living beings that evolved from lifeless materials.

What you're talking about now isn't evolution, but a distinct theory called abiogenesis, at least in terms of the beginnings of life. The creation of elements is yet another distinct field of study, one that I won't even pretend to know anything about, but you've crossed over several ballparks from your original discussion of evolution.

Quote:It doesn't make much sense to me because last weekend I was sitting by a lake pondering God's marvelous creation when I picked up a rock and stared at it. It suddenly dawned on me that if that very rock was 4.6 billion years old like athiest scientists say it is, then rocks would have evolved into intelligent creatures also.

Rocks aren't alive at all, and since evolution is a process that only occurs within living things that can breed, of course it wouldn't have happened with rocks. Even if you were talking about abiogenesis, at no point can one boil down that process to "matter+time=life"

Quote: If evolution really was true and we all evolved from lifeless materials over 4.6 billion years, then that rock should also be a mammal or an insect or something by now. But there it was, still a useless rock, just sitting there. No brain, no self-awareness. Nothing.

Incidentally, since we're talking about this, can you provide a single scientific source that states that evolution does this? Also, why would you think that all matter would "evolve" into life, even so? How would the planet even be sustainable in that case?

Quote:This is another point I'd like to make. In my senior year of science class my teacher (who I also suspect is an atheist) was explaining to us that humans developed large complex brains because "we integrated meat into our diets a long time ago".

Quote:The modern human brain is two to three times larger than that of our closest relatives, chimpanzees. But to supply energy to such metabolically demanding tissue, a distinct trade-off in energy allocation had to evolve. Meat and other protein-rich foods were evolutionary drivers of bigger, more complex human brains.

I suspect the explanation was a little more detailed than that. Be honest: were you paying attention? Tongue

Incidentally, the quote you provided mentions that our brains were larger in comparison to other primate species, because we are carnivores, not all species in general.

Quote:Sounds silly to me. We started eating meat and the protein made us evolve a larger more complex brain, resulting in superior intelligence? Okay... well we aren't the only species that eats meat lol.

See above.

Quote:Why didn't other animals evolve to be as intelligent as us? I can name dozens and dozens of animals that eat meat, but can you name how many lions you've met that attended university and became doctors? When you went to high school did you have a grizzly bear teacher? Have you ever had your taxes done by a dog accountant? Nope, not me anyways. A human did my taxes this year.

Given that you were wrong on the initial premise that led to this, I don't feel much reason to debunk it further, but I will say this: strawmen aren't cool. These canards get trotted out a lot, mostly by people who don't understand how evolution works, and... it's tiresome.

Quote:Also, I did some research on something else. Apparently the total amount of water on earth is "1.386x10^21 liters", whatever that means. I don't know what the X and the ^ is for, but I'll continue anyways. There are almost 7 billion people on earth, so let's assume that human beings drink two liters of water a day, which could be true for some people. Some people drink a lot of water. That would mean that every human being on this planet collectively drinks 12x10^9 liters of water a day (I'm pretty sure that's right, I had to ask some Asian guy I know to do the math for me. I kinda suck at math)

So, besides not being about evolution at all (or even about anything at all: what are you trying to prove here? That there's more water on earth than estimated? So what?) you do understand that water doesn't disappear when you drink it, right? You... expel it back out into the world, through urine and sweat and spit and all that. It doesn't just all drain away into you, never to be seen again.

Also, since water is a molecule made of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, it's a fairly easy thing to make from its component parts. Just saying.

Quote:Now here's what I'm getting at... atheist scientists say that life evolved around 3 billion years ago, so this would mean that human beings alone (excluding animals) would have consumed 9.5 times the amount of water on this planet. This is obviously impossible, because if this were true our oceans would be completely drained by now. So how do we still have large amounts of unused water?

It's all reused water. Seriously. The molecules go through many forms, sustain life periodically, but it never just disappears. It just changes form temporarily.

Quote:One more quick thing. If there is no oxygen in space, then how does the sun keep burning? We all know that fire needs oxygen to keep burning.

Being a bit literal there. The sun isn't literally a ball of fire, it's a thermonuclear chain reaction caused by gravity. That's an oversimplification, but it's a start.

Now, I hope you're not a troll. I've operated under the assumption that you aren't, and done my best to clear some stuff up. My girlfriend Luckie thinks you're legit, so hey. The problem seems to be that you don't really understand evolution, if you are real. This can be fixed. Just click the links.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Ok, this guy is either a troll or just incredibly stupid. I think we have another bit of gold for the 'dumb things theists say' area
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Welcome!

I think you are confusing abiogenesis and evolution.

Plenty of people above have posted great areas for your lack of education on the subjects. I am not trying to be rude, but educate your self in subjects.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
jamie_russels Wrote:Also, I did some research on something else. Apparently the total amount of water on earth is "1.386x10^21 liters", whatever that means. I don't know what the X and the ^ is for, but I'll continue anyways. There are almost 7 billion people on earth, so let's assume that human beings drink two liters of water a day, which could be true for some people. Some people drink a lot of water. That would mean that every human being on this planet collectively drinks 12x10^9 liters of water a day (I'm pretty sure that's right, I had to ask some Asian guy I know to do the math for me. I kinda suck at math)

1.4x10^21 (for simplicity's sake) divided by 12x10^9 gives us 1.16x10^29 days i.e. how long it takes us to drink that water. Divide by 365 and we get 3.20x10^26 years. Divide by 10^9 to get 3.2x10^17 billion years. The time you specified was 3 billion years for us to drink it in... well let's do some more maths to see just how off your friend was. 3 divided by 9.5 gives us 0.31 billion years to drink that water. Divide 3.2x10^17 by 0.31 to get 1.03x10^18.

What does that final number mean? It means your friend overshot the calculation by a factor of 1030000000000000000, or if you prefer percentages, the margin of error was 103000000000000000000%

None of this even matters because of one simple fact: water gets recycled after we excrete it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I just wanted to reply so I get to follow this thread.... If this person comes back, this might get fun!

So far, Jamie, you seem like an ok poe...
This could be fun........

Badger

(July 11, 2013 at 3:07 am)jamie_russels Wrote: One more quick thing. If there is no oxygen in space, then how does the sun keep burning? We all know that fire needs oxygen to keep burning.

This screams "POE" like nothing I've ever seen before.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Ok guys, let's make a pool: Is she a hit and run, or will she come back? And in case she comes back, will she whine about how mean atheists are or will she continue to troll? Place your bets, place your bets! The winner gets 1000 Internets! Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theory to how "Moses Crossing the Sea" tale came from Woah0 0 582 August 14, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Woah0
  sim theory Drich 69 7286 May 28, 2020 at 10:07 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Just a theory kbultra 60 7866 July 23, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The theory of evolution HOAX pabsta 439 96720 October 23, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7010 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  My final theory of Creation as a believer Old Baby 20 4286 January 7, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Problems With The Bible Pt 9 - Sampson Mental Outlaw 17 4253 September 8, 2015 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Problems With The Bible Pt 5 - Sodom and Gomorrah Mental Outlaw 61 14057 May 3, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The theory of god! I don't think so. ignoramus 9 2901 August 5, 2014 at 9:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Jesus Moot Theory DeistPaladin 16 4504 February 11, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome