Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof of Heaven? Maybe not...
Proof of Heaven? Maybe not...
I'm sure everyone has heard of the book "Proof of Heaven" written by neurologist Dr. Even Alexander. The man has cashed in on it, and the book has been peddled by the likes of Dr. Phil and Oprah. Well, an expose has been written about the book citing numerous objections. You have to pay to read it, so I've only been able to read an article about it. Here it is...

http://www.dailygrail.com/Spirit-World/2...-Alexander

Quote:Dittrich also disputes a number of the 'facts' recounted by Eben Alexander in Proof of Heaven, from the weather during his coma through to the claims about his coma. Most pertinent, given that much of the book revolves around the anomaly that he should not have been physically able to have his near-death experience due to being completely unconscious and with a non-functioning brain:

In Proof of Heaven, Alexander writes that he spent seven days in "a coma caused by a rare case of E. coli bacterial meningitis." There is no indication in the book that it was [ER doctor] Laura Potter, and not bacterial meningitis, that induced his coma, or that the physicians in the ICU maintained his coma in the days that followed through the use of anesthetics. Alexander also writes that during his week in the ICU he was present "in body alone," that the bacterial assault had left him with an "all-but-destroyed brain." He notes that by conventional scientific understanding, "if you don't have a working brain, you can't be conscious," and a key point of his argument for the reality of the realms he claims to have visited is that his memories could not have been hallucinations, since he didn't possess a brain capable of creating even a hallucinatory conscious experience.

I ask Potter whether the manic, agitated state that Alexander exhibited whenever they weaned him off his anesthetics during his first days of coma would meet her definition of conscious.

"Yes," she says. "Conscious but delirious."

There are even claims that he made evidence against him disappear.

Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.
RE: Proof of Heaven? Maybe not...
But if Dr. Phil and Oprah say it's real, then it's real!
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(July 11, 2013 at 4:45 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: But if Dr. Phil and Oprah say it's real, then it's real!

Do not forget Doctor Seuss- I mean Oz. This legitimate doctor never goes back on his word right? Right?! Oh... at least He knows what He is advocating, yeah? Oh...
After getting run down by a car when I was seven years old, I thought for sure that I had an out-of-body experience. But just because I thought I was seeing myself from across the street as I stood back up in an agitated state, does that make the event true?
(July 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: After getting run down by a car when I was seven years old, I thought for sure that I had an out-of-body experience. But just because I thought I was seeing myself from across the street as I stood back up in an agitated state, does that make the event true?

Not at all, which you'd think a neurologist would understand.

I'm starting to wonder, however, if the shadiness of his actions and portrayal of the evidence aren't indicative of this whole charade being a scam, and he's not actually a true believer in his experience.
Quote:The man has cashed in

He's probably got a few million reasons to "believe."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(July 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: After getting run down by a car when I was seven years old, I thought for sure that I had an out-of-body experience. But just because I thought I was seeing myself from across the street as I stood back up in an agitated state, does that make the event true?

Not at all, which you'd think a neurologist would understand.

I'm starting to wonder, however, if the shadiness of his actions and portrayal of the evidence aren't indicative of this whole charade being a scam, and he's not actually a true believer in his experience.

I believe Dr. Alexander is a neurosurgeon, not a neurologist. (I missed that in the OP; I should have caught that. And it's not clear how much time he spends at the operating table as he appears to have spent the bulk of his career teaching.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 15, 2013 at 11:23 pm)apophenia Wrote: I believe Dr. Alexander is a neurosurgeon, not a neurologist. (I missed that in the OP; I should have caught that. And it's not clear how much time he spends at the operating table as he appears to have spent the bulk of his career teaching.)

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction.

Regardless, a neurosurgeon does receive basic training in neurology and should very well be aware of the ability of the brain to enter altered states and perceive things that don't exist, correct? Also, his credentials as a neurosurgeon are being peddled to bring an added level of legitimacy to his claims, which he seems all too willing to let people accept.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3314 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8050 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2534 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2004 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Maybe WinterHold 9 2355 July 2, 2017 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3824 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4015 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Maybe I'm being crazy... BrokenQuill92 18 1939 November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21366 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Maybe you guys are mixing religion with God Fk789 36 3353 November 1, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama