Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm taking a break from staff duty
I'm taking a break from staff duty
TL;DR version: I am taking a break from staff duty for personal reasons, and intend on returning when the situation improves.

Those of you who have been following the "How are you today?" thread already know what has been going on for the past 9 or 10 days. On July 2nd, my father was admitted to the hospital with advanced congestive heart failure further complicated by kidney failure. Two days later on the 4th of July, he nearly died, but was saved. Since that time, he had been slowly improving, though his heart and kidney function has been supported via medication.

Over the next week, he continued to improve, his kidney function was improving, which was allowing him to eliminate the edema that was straining his failing heart. Yesterday he got up on his feet and sat in a regular chair for a couple of hours.

Two hours ago, I received word that his kidney function has dropped to almost nothing - and there is blood in what he is passing. I am no physician, but that does not sound good. I do know that his survival depends on being able to reduce the edema, and so they must get his kidneys functioning better.

I am prepared to type match and donate one of my kidneys, however, with his heart in the condition it is in, it is doubtful that he is a candidate for transplant, and I would expect that he would likely not survive the procedure in any case.

Most of the medications that they are giving him are intravenous - which of course is adding to the fluid retained in his body as he is unable to process and pass it as fast as it is being given to him. They are taking him off most of the IV meds and starting oral meds, which seems to me a desperation attempt to buy time.

The prognosis is poor, unfortunately. I've resolved to come to grips with the probability that he will not survive, though I remain hopeful.

I'm emotionally compromised and fragile, and I am not certain that I am able to perform my duties with the objectivity that every single member here deserves. For that reason, I am excusing myself from participating in any staff actions for the immediate future. I will likely be hanging around here, as AF is a distraction that helps me keep my mind off the overwhelming nature of my situation.

I intend to return to staff duty when the situation is sufficiently resolved such that I am able to trust my judgment. I do not have any idea when that may be. If I receive any requests for help via PM, I will forward them to the rest of the staff for resolution.

I appreciate all of the support and well-wishing that I have received and am grateful to count a great many of you as friends.

Best regards,

Cthulhu
RE: I'm taking a break from staff duty
Wishing you comfort and strength during this time.

I am sorry to hear that you, your father and your family are going through this.
Looking forward to more equanimity for you soon and more you for us when you're ready.
Best wishes, C/D. Hang in there.
Hang in there, cthu.
Best wishes to you and yer pops, man.
I can't do anymore than wish you strength to deal with what is coming and that you find comfort and support CD

Smile hang in there mate
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Good luck, buddy. *hugs*
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
This is why I wish I had a magic wand so I could make everything better for everyone. Sadly, the most I can do is wish you and your loved ones all the luck there is. Hang in there mate.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Atheist: Hang in there, mate!
Theist: I'll pray for you!

Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Staff Log - Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions Darwinian 3266 759052 4 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Staff Moderator The Valkyrie 20 1369 December 30, 2023 at 8:25 am
Last Post: no one
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6282 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  The "Report" button, and how not to treat your staff. Jackalope 71 27949 February 9, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Guidelines for Staff Correspondence Shell B 3 1318 June 8, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: brewer
  Get to know your staff [UPDATED] Losty 534 43166 February 16, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Staff Interviews - Tiberius Tiberius 103 13927 November 19, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Staff Interviews - Losty (Plus our NEW YouTube channel!) Tiberius 72 16004 November 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Staff Interviews - Stimbo Tiberius 33 6351 October 13, 2016 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Staff Interviews - robvalue Tiberius 81 10037 October 6, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: robvalue