Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
I'm new. I'm Melinda. I've recently come to the realization that I'm an Atheist. I was raised Catholic my whole life and then converted to the Mormon church when I was 23 years old. I have two children, E is 10 and M is 6. My family likes to e-mail me, FB me, call me (although I have them all blocked from those means now) and tell me I'm going to hell.

They don't seem to understand that I do not believe in hell. My grandma also doesn't seem to get that my children can believe in whatever they want to believe in. My oldest son has decided that he is an Atheist and my youngest doesn't know what he is at this point. I belong to a meetup group for San Diego parents called Parenting Beyond Religion.
RE: Hello
Welcome. I'm a recovering Catholic myself. I think you will like it here. I find it to be a good source of support, and information. My two remaining relatives are both older sisters, one is a nun and the other a Sunday school teacher and neither will talk to me since I'm a godless atheist. Yeah it hurt, but not so much anymore. My wife's family really don't care about such things. (She's from a Pentacostal background). I think it's good that you've found a support group to hook up with.

See you aroundSmile
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Welcome!

However, you are not allowed to post until you answer a simple question. What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

African or European?
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^

EDIT: Might I add, what a classy avatar you've got, you must be a woman of good taste Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome. I'm also a recovering Catholic, 13 years wafer free.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(July 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Welcome. I'm also a recovering Catholic, 13 years wafer free.

Catholics get the fancy wafers and real wine and shit for Communion. Us Southern Baptists got broken up saltine crackers and grape juice for the "Lord's Supper".

Major let down.

"This is just a fucking cracker and Welches grape juice! Fucking Baptists! Fuck this shit!"

Seriously. If you're going to act like it's special give us something we can't buy at the store for a buck fifty.

Oh, sorry. Welcome Moose!
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
You will find many hugs here. Smile Welcome.
In this desert of language we find ourselves in,
with the sign-post with the word 'God' worn away
...and the distance?
R.S. Thomas
HI MOOSE

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5962 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3632 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates