Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failing at Uni
Failing at Uni
Firstly I am in my second year of Uni and for a fact I know that I have failed 2 Modals and pass 1 and one is in the balance. So if I completely failed this year, do you have any advice?
Alsothe subject I am studying is not my stong point and even my lecturer said that. Basicly I am stuck with what to do even if by some 'mirical' I have passed and make it though to next year. I have wanted to quit for 1/2 year and I don't like my course but I know it will help me (I think). I just don't know want to do and my dad wants me to stay the course even though I feel like I am bashing my head against a very boring wall.
Sorry for the rant but any useful advice would be nice.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Failing at Uni
First of all, even if a subject isn't your strong point, a good tutor will help. I suck balls at math. Seriously - can't wrap my head around anything beyond basic geo, trig, and algebra - and that only enough to get by when plotting angles and shit. Anyway, while I was in high school, I had an ace classmate who helped me through all of that. She was awesome - she really knew how to explain everything.

Similarly, I wasn't bad at science but my mother decided that if I wasn't a genius in it, I wasn't "good at it" and thus shouldn't even try or be encouraged. Fact is, I love science, and thus struggle through the things I might not understand just to keep going through it.

So I don't know if you hate the subject you're in because it's hard, or if it's hard because you hate it, or both. Knowing that might help. Is this "subject" the basis for your major (concentrated area - whatever people outside the USA call it)? Because if it is, perhaps you should consider changing your major to something you really enjoy. Then even the boring classes will at least have a purpose.

Without knowing what you're going for and what you really want, it's hard to say anything other than "schooling IS useful" and "reevaluate what you're doing."

Also, I should add:

You're paying for schooling. Here in the states, degrees usually have a set of core classes everyone must take, then classes which directly relate to the degree and are required, then "electives" which may or may not be related and can be used to round out your education or bolster the one you're working on.

Is the class you're struggling with an elective? Do you have to take it? If not, is the only reason you're taking it because you "think" it might help? Generally a little research will let you know if it's actually beneficial to take it, and if not, don't. Don't pay for it. Don't bother yourself with it. At this stage in the game, your learning should have practical applications to the outside world and you shouldn't have to be unsure as to whether or not something is going to help you.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Hi gooders,

believe it or not, there's no such thing as impossible to understand. If someone did it, you can too. The key is finding the way to do it. I find that once you fear a subject, it's very hard to just open the book and try and understand, because you have this misconception that it's unachievable, so maybe getting over the mindset might help you a little. Then, if you're weak at the subject, always, always study early, so if you don't understand anything, go bug a prof. They usually are happy to help Smile.

However, if your courses involve innovative or creative thinking (eg. mathematical proofs, experimental design, solving problems, etc.), and it's not your strong suit, personally, i think the hard way to deal with this is to expose yourself to these ideas as much as possible, so even if you cannot creatively solve a problem on the spot, you may be able to apply what you've seen or read before.

General tips for doing well in uni:
1. Recording lectures. This one, is the best thing you can do for yourself. Download a recording app on your phone, go to class, sit up front, record. Why? Because on the night before the exam and you don't understand a concept, you can listen to it again, because at this hour, no one will be able to answer your questions. If your courses are memory intensive, listen to your recordings at 1.7x speed the day before the exam, I always do this and I get near perfect even with very detailed questions.

2. Do your readings before the lectures. This one works wonders as well.

Edit: 3. Past year exams. you'll be surprised how many lecturers recycle their exams. I once had a math course that requires us to do proofs of theorems we've never seen before on the exam. First midterm I ended up with a sucky 60+, then I did the past year exam for my second midterm, and i scored 87 (yea, so miraculous i still remember it).

Lastly, do what you like, that way you won't hate your studying time, and you generally do better, but if you don't want to go against your father's wishes, then tough it out. Even if you fail something, if it's what you want, you can redo it. I hear if you do courses in the summer, the bellcurving works in your favour (especially if your marks fall into the weaker group), so this might be similar in your uni? To protect your GPA, take electives that you're good at. Sometimes you want to do what you like, but if your GPA is in danger, best play safe.
Your lecturer was sort of an asshat to say that. Even my worst math teachers never told me "this just isn't your subject." That's the lazy way out.
(July 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: I have wanted to quit for 1/2 year and I don't like my course but I know it will help me (I think).

You mean it's going to help you for a career that you have in mind?

Your dilemma seems to be:
(1) You want to quit because you don't like those courses (and you're failing), but
(2) you think that the courses will help you somehow.

With that in mind, I think it just comes down to a 'balancing act' for you now; ask yourself which of them weighs stronger on you and act accordingly.

I would suggest taking some time off and doing other things until you figure out what is right for you.

My second year of college, I lost all interest in my classes. I would sign up for them, attend a few, and then just not go. I spent several years racking up F's and incompletes and worrying my family, and frustrating myself, before I was forcibly ejected because of my grades. Now, because of all the unfulfilled coursework, I can't get any financial aid (they cut you off after so many credits), so I couldn't go back even if I wanted to do so.

You have a motivational problem of some sort, or other barrier, most likely. At the time I was in college, I didn't know anything about depression the mental illness, but that's a likely explanation, as I've had a serious mental illness since childhood and had my first episode of major depression at 17. When you don't feel motivated to try, being told to "try harder" is doubtful remedy. And despite what you and your family may have worked you up to, college isn't the only good thing to be doing at this time in your life. Many people learn lessons about life at that age without ever going to college, and many because they chose other paths.

Change your mind, and your body will follow. Until you figure out how to do that, banging your brain against a wall is probably one of the least productive approaches.

Sometimes, you have to climb down the mountain, to discover a more feasible route to the summit.

(And I think I'll stop before I start channeling Taoist sages of antiquity....)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Your lecturer was sort of an asshat to say that. Even my worst math teachers never told me "this just isn't your subject." That's the lazy way out.

I have to agree, I go to a uni that prides itself on its ability to eat students alive, but never had a lecturer say this. They usually do tell us it's our own fault for not studying hard enough when the average is low, though.
Not studying is one thing. "Not your thing" is a way of saying "you're too stupid to learn this" which means "I'm not explaining it properly" or "I'm not suggesting another way you might figure this out."

It's lazy teaching. Of course, by college you should be able to rustle yourself up a tutor on your own, but the point remains.
(July 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: You're paying for schooling. Here in the states, degrees usually have a set of core classes everyone must take, then classes which directly relate to the degree and are required, then "electives" which may or may not be related and can be used to round out your education or bolster the one you're working on.
His profile says he's in the UK. In the UK, degrees don't work like that at all. Most (if not all) classes you take are related to the main degree.

Obviously there is some variation. For instance, I took computer science, but there were classes that were heavily maths based, then some practical ones involving robotics, etc, but never anything involving English writing, or history, for instance.

@Gooders1002: What course are you taking? If there are similar courses you might be able to switch and do a bit of catch-up. Usually the university has councilors and advisors you can go to see about your options if you are struggling. The university never wants to see a student fail, so they are going to try and help get you on the right path.

I'm also reminded of a couple whom I was friends with in college. Both were brilliant, highly successful people. When it came time to leave academia, they had to choose between a job and career path which paid extremely well (they were in IT), or ones that more closely suited the type of work they found enjoyable, but which didn't pay well. They chose high paying jobs at a security firm, figuring they'd make their happiness outside of work. That lasted only a few years before they reversed course and took jobs in a lower paying but more satisfying niche.

People argue that a college education can be a key to a successful and high paying career, but they're often vague about what "successful" does or should mean.

(I'm also reminded of a time I was on the slopes, working hard to perfect my parallel turns based on some recent advice from an expert. I recounted to a fellow on my way up in the lift about how I was working hard on my 'form'. He had one thing to say as he skied away. "Fuck form, have fun.")

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]