Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Is It Real?"
"Is It Real?"
I found a not too old series on Netflix called "Is It Real?" that use to run on National Geographic. Each episode seems to give a balanced presentation of arguments from both believers and skeptics on the usual paranormal cases such as crop circles, big foot, hauntings, etc. I don't know if there is really any other cable tv show made in the past ten years that actually fairly investigates these claims like this show does. Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy it.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: "Is It Real?"
What a waste of time.
(July 16, 2013 at 6:55 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: What a waste of time.

Some of us don't have girlfriends, TGAC.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I find those shows entertaining, remember they are there for entertainment. With that said, there is healthy skeptism then being a close minded person. Most of the cases the situations have not been debunked by science fully and contain mystery still. I find them entraining however I would not regard it as gospel truth. It is a good show to see that earth still has mysterious events or things.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
I watched a few episodes of that when it aired. Got old quickly.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

I remember the old "In Search Of..." shows back in the 70's. They always gave everything quite a lot of credibility and put a lot of conjecture into their documentaries, and rarely if ever had any actual skeptics. They definitely weren't balanced at all.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

I think this is on Netflix. Yes, and it's in my Instantwatch list. Looks pretty cheesy.

I watched an episode of the one with John Noble. Great production values. Same old shit.

I've got a season of Ancient Aliens on disc. The thing is, there's so much fascinating real shit to learn about that watching crap like this is just wasteful, unless you do it for the lulz.

I just discovered that there's a shitload of TEDtalks on Netflix, that's both awesome and real.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
There's a really good series by pen and teller called "Bullshit" the title of the show pretty much gives you the idea what they think about bigfoot and the paranormal.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I got into the fortean times very briefly years ago . It/that stuff does get old quickly. Science and nature are fantastic enough and don't need any embellishment.
(July 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm)apophenia Wrote:

I think this is on Netflix. Yes, and it's in my Instantwatch list. Looks pretty cheesy.

I watched an episode of the one with John Noble. Great production values. Same old shit.

I've got a season of Ancient Aliens on disc. The thing is, there's so much fascinating real shit to learn about that watching crap like this is just wasteful, unless you do it for the lulz.

I just discovered that there's a shitload of TEDtalks on Netflix, that's both awesome and real.

I've seen those shows. This one is different however because they pretty much debunk the believer's argument in every episode by interviewing mainstream scientists. They also regularly feature notable skeptics such as Michael Schermer, James Randi, and others. I think it's great because it can introduce people to the principles of skepticism and thorough investigation. All the other pseudoscience shows I've seen like ghost hunters, Bigfoot hunters, Nostradamus etc, are much more on the side of the believers.
My ignore list