Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a UK based website?
Is this a UK based website?
Ok, no matter where it is based, could someone please explain to me why the Royal Family is such a fucking big deal? If we are being honest about it, all the "Royalty" started by a money grubbing power grab in antiquity which was not kind to dissent, so the current spoils are based on bullies, lets face it.

I can live with that, not that it is ideal, because I certainly am not as an American willing to give my land back to Native Americans.

But can we not at least learn something from the worship of celebrity and power? Why should the Royal couple be treated special? These are not super humans who can deflect bullets from their chest, and Diane certainly didn't escape death.

I am sick about hearing about the Royal baby just like I am sick of hearing about the Kardashians here in the states. PEOPLE FUCK, PEOPLE HAVE THINGS SO THE FUCK WHAT.

If a rich person who owns a mansion wants to understand the stupidity of their own excess, instead of paying your maid to clean it, do it yourself.
RE: Is this a UK based website?
Is the Royal familiy a big deal? Well, they surely beat my family with their palace, money and etc. But obviously, they are not descendants of glorious Ghazis like I am.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(July 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, no matter where it is based, could someone please explain to me why the Royal Family is such a fucking big deal?

I sort of look at is as patriotism breeds some idiosyncratic sentiments. As an American, our near-deification of our "founding fathers" or treating our founding documents as if they were sacred parchments might seem strange to an outsider. It's an American thing.

So I don't judge how the patriotism of any other nation manifests itself. That's their thing and I respect that.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm)Brian37 Wrote: These are not super humans who can deflect bullets from their chest

Hey, Kirei can do that.
I am British and regard the royal family as totally irrelevant to my life.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 16, 2013 at 4:56 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I sort of look at is as patriotism breeds some idiosyncratic sentiments.

Thats pretty much it. Most people really don't give a shit though. The news tends to go on about it but I don't know anyone who really cares. You do get people who get pissed off if you say anything against the royal family because they think its unpatriotic.

Its one of those things where because its old tradition and nobody is that pissed off so it sticks around even though its stupid.
The only royal I have even the slightest regard for is Charles and that's just because he's a Goon fan like me ("What time is it, Eccles?"). Beyond that, they're all a waste of resources as far as I'm concerned. I do however have an interest in the history and the pageantry of our country, stretching back to the days when the monarch du jour got off its privileged arse and actually did something.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I am British and regard the royal family as totally irrelevant to my life.

Probably would be the case if they were not the biggest welfare queens you support.

It is one thing to guild the past in history good or bad, agree or disagree like the Egyptians keep the Pyramids today. I can see keeping the palace and jewels as part of history, but why are the family needed other than being nothing but glorified tour guides?
To actually answer the question in the heading:

No, this is not a UK based site.

As for revering people 'just because', well.. *points at Brian's ABBA avatar*
People have idols, get over it.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I love the Royal Family. They're a bunch of mentalists, and I think that makes them perfect for representing my country. lol

Plus, you know, the weird tradition shit is entertaining. And the history. Monarchs factor hugely in British History.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Categories of posters here based on frequency. brewer 52 5375 April 27, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The RationalWiki website. Jehanne 2 432 October 26, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I've been on this website a year now... ReptilianPeon 8 1962 February 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  View my Website. ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 64 6862 September 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Cheating website hacked and customer data released. CapnAwesome 67 10049 August 20, 2015 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  I'd like to share this website with you. CandyCaneChild 18 3925 November 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
Heart Found a website that checks the opinion of the internet Atheistm vs Religion Big Blue Sky 4 1961 June 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What do you call a bread crust based religion? xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 1 963 March 3, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
Rainbow Best way to ruin an al qaida website MilesTailsPrower 2 1348 July 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer
  Nation States (browser-based game) Disinter 8 2578 June 3, 2010 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Ace Otana