Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
Top Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
For those who don't know, A logical fallacy is a flawed pattern of reasoning. Something which the religious are professionals at.

In this post I'm going to list my favorite ten logical fallacies used by the religious in arguments. I'll also post their meaning and an example of what the fallacy may look like when used in an argument. I'm sure most of you free-thinkers will recognise many of these from past discussions with religious people.

#1. Argumentum ad ignorantium - Fallacy that something must be true because it has not been, Or can't be, proven false.
If you can't prove that god doesn't exist, That means he must exist.

#2. Argumentum ad misericordia - Appealing to pity.
Why are you so intent on destroying something that makes so many sick children happy!

#3. Argumentum ad nauseum - Fallacy that something is likely to be true the more often it is said.
God exists, How many times do i have to tell you?

#4. Argumentum ad novitatem - Fallacy that something is right because it's new.
Of course Islam is the true religion, Mohammad is the most recent prophet.

#5. Argumentum ad populum - Fallacy that something is correct based on the amount of people who believe it.
Look how many people believe in Jesus, They can't all be wrong.

#6. Bifurcation - Fallacy of presenting a situation as having only two answers.
Evolution is wrong, So that means creationism is right.

#7. Circular Logic - The premise that what you are trying to prove is evidence of it's self.
The bible is the word of god because it says it is, And it can't be wrong, because after all, It is the word of god.

#8. Cum hoc ergo propter hoc - Fallacy of asserting that events occurring simultaneously must be causally related.
With all these natural disasters happening how can you deny that god isn't punishing us?

#9. Plurium interrogationum - Fallacy of demanding a simplistic answer to a complex question.
If god didn't create the universe then explain what did.

#10. Slippery slope fallacy - Fallacy that one event will inevitably lead to harmful consequences.
If we let gays get married it will be the end of family values.

Number 11 - Tu Quoque. The fallacy that flaws in one religion can be justified by pointing to flaws in another.

Number 12 - Argumentum ad hominem. The fallacy that insulting your opponent is a substitute for refuting their ideas, eg, you are mad/possessed by Shaitan/too stupid to understand Islam, etc.

Number 13 - Argumentum Ad Hominem
"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim." - From wiki

examples:
1) Your being misguided by Shaytaan
2) Allah has put a veil across your eyes
3) You need to open your mind
4) You believe this because you've been hanging around non-muslims for too long
5) You believe this because you've strayed from the straight path
"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."
Benjamin Franklin
RE: Top Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
Well, people in general tend to use these (and other) examples of fallacious reasoning with or without religion.
Interestingly, however, religion is one of the few areas that depends on fallacious reasoning.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I remember reading arguments online from Christians actually claiming that circular reasoning isn't fallacious.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

You missed an important one: special pleading.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 19, 2013 at 8:25 am)Stimbo Wrote: Interestingly, however, religion is one of the few areas that depends on fallacious reasoning.

They have no other kind. When you paint yourself into a corner that begins with the idea of a magic sky-daddy who can do EVERYTHING you are pretty well fucked from the start.
(July 20, 2013 at 12:47 am)apophenia Wrote:

You missed an important one: special pleading.

I didn't miss it. Look at the post. It says " ... I'm going to list my favorite ten logical fallacies ..."
Benjamin Franklin
(July 19, 2013 at 9:58 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I remember reading arguments online from Christians actually claiming that circular reasoning isn't fallacious.
lol I want to see.
(July 20, 2013 at 3:07 am)Meylis Lawrence Wrote:
(July 20, 2013 at 12:47 am)apophenia Wrote: You missed an important one: special pleading.
I didn't miss it. Look at the post. It says " ... I'm going to list my favorite ten logical fallacies ..."

Well, ignoring the fact that you listed twelve, including listing one twice, the title of your thread is "Top Logical Fallacies Used By Religion," not "A Few Of My Favorite Things."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote:Apophenia wrote:
Well, ignoring the fact that you listed twelve, including listing one twice, the title of your thread is "Top Logical Fallacies Used By Religion," not "A Few Of My Favorite Things."

Yer keep twisting the topic. There's a whole paragraph explaining the title where it says : ... I'm going to list my favorite ten logical fallacies ...". So saying that I "missed one" is incorrect.
Benjamin Franklin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 952 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 13900 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2335 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3752 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3172 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Top 10 Most Shocking Religious Scandals Fake Messiah 17 3527 November 29, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Logical proof that God doesnt exist. Macoleco 5 2575 November 24, 2016 at 2:47 am
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3472 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10698 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7262 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged