Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up
Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...her-story/

FYI Matt Slick is the founder of the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM), and all in all is a bit of a fundie. Rachael's account of how she was brought up is a good guide on how to indoctrinate and retard a child's developing mind.

Interesting, especially because for all intents and purposes she was a fundie herself as well versed in the theological underpinnings of her faith as any theist I have ever met online or personally. And she was undone by the very same debates we often see on here (origin of morality and the contradictions of an omni-faceted god and 'right and wrong'). A lot of parallels can be drawn in her testimony and the debates we have here, so worth a read.

Quote:Atheists frequently wonder how an otherwise rational Christian can live and die without seeing the light of science, and I believe the answer to this is usually environment. If every friend, authority figure, and informational source in your life constantly repeat the same ideas, it is difficult not to believe they’re onto something. My world was built of “reasonable” Christians — the ones who thought, who questioned, who knew that what they believed was true. In the face of this strength, my own doubts seemed petty.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up
And all that brainwashing of little innocent children just because grownups are afraid of death ...
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Quote:Atheists frequently wonder how an otherwise rational Christian can live and die without seeing the light of science, and I believe the answer to this is usually environment. If every friend, authority figure, and informational source in your life constantly repeat the same ideas, it is difficult not to believe they’re onto something. My world was built of “reasonable” Christians — the ones who thought, who questioned, who knew that what they believed was true. In the face of this strength, my own doubts seemed petty.

Typical communal reinforcement which is all too common among religions. Most Christians I know tend to do this, surround themselves with like-minded people so that your beliefs are constantly reinforced by others agreeing with them.

Basically it's the same thing as Republicans watching Fox News or listening to Rush or Hannity.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(July 19, 2013 at 10:02 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Basically it's the same thing as Republicans watching Fox News or listening to Rush or Hannity.

Or atheists going to an atheist forum. Thinking
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Also I notice to my disappointment that many athiests are just as closed minded as Christians.
(July 19, 2013 at 10:14 am)Isun Wrote: Also I notice to my disappointment that many athiests are just as closed minded as Christians.
Only a tiny minority. Because there's no dogma, there's no indoctrination process to close our minds. Self-indoctrination is very rare.
Sum ergo sum
Matt Slick, apologetic's number one defender of the ridiculous and fallacious TAG argument. Undecided

Maybe his daughter was embarrassed that he thinks TAG is such a convincing argument.

(July 19, 2013 at 10:14 am)Isun Wrote: Also I notice to my disappointment that many athiests are just as closed minded as Christians.

For the vast majority of atheists, their atheism emerged from their skepticism. In other words, their disbelief is a result of insufficient demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic to support the claim that a god or gods exist.

All it would take for me to accept the claim that a god exists is for the claim to meet the above criteria. I believe most atheists would agree. Even Dawkins, supposedly the most ardent atheist, holds this position,

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Skepticism is healthy, but it doesn't constitute proof one way or another.

What i find frustrating sometimes is that many skeptics feel that when they disprove the bible that it somehow proves their point god doesn't exist. In other words they are throwing out the principles of science out the door the same as religionists.

It is reasonable and quite acceptable in my opinion to state that the preponderance of evidence does not support the existence of god as christians believe, but it doesn't in any way provide proof that "god" doesn't exist.
How many people have you met that claim science proves god doesn't exist?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 19, 2013 at 11:53 am)Isun Wrote: Skepticism is healthy, but it doesn't constitute proof one way or another.

What i find frustrating sometimes is that many skeptics feel that when they disprove the bible that it somehow proves their point god doesn't exist. In other words they are throwing out the principles of science out the door the same as religionists.

It is reasonable and quite acceptable in my opinion to state that the preponderance of evidence does not support the existence of god as christians believe, but it doesn't in any way provide proof that "god" doesn't exist.

When there's inherent contradictions in the concept of the god being proposed, then the issue of it being 'real' is moot.

Indeed, I don't reject 'all' gods because, surely, I don't know about all gods that could be proposed.

I reject the abrahamic/(indeed all gods) thus far proposed however because there is no evidence, and the claims of the proponents are almost always self-defeating.

But as above, 'science' doesn't care one iota about gods. It's not there to disprove gods, that is not its mandate. It just so happens, in the course of 'its' existance, to debunk the commonly held mythologies that go hand in hand with god worship. Nothing more.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6654 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. Jehanne 80 5031 March 20, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Matt and Luke: Ships Passing in the Night YahwehIsTheWay 15 1642 December 1, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Cod
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1163 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16337 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5416 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7768 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My experience in a Moon church/organization (korean religion) Macoleco 20 7039 May 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Near death experience of Howard Storm scoobysnack 548 82788 October 28, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  I'm beginning to have a growing hatred for Christians, do you blame me GoHalos1993 11 2278 May 23, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Drich