Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vienna now the second largest German city.
Vienna now the second largest German city.
Ok, this probably means jackshit to most members but to me it is a complete suprise......... or not.

Vienna use to be a kind of really posh place for richer uperclass type Austrian and rich bavarians. But has in the recent years gained massively in population due to the low student fees (none) and the dropping housing prices in the non posh ereas.

I still hate the place and especialy it`s people like a cyst on my scrotum, but I am still suprised how this social development took place within a timeframe of only 5 to 10 years and that the awsome city Hamburg now is no longer the second largest german city.
RE: Vienna now the second largest German city.
If Vienna is in Austria, how is it the second largest German City?
Language.

like Rio and Sao Paulo still being Portugese lingualy.

Berlin is the thrid largest Turkish ctiy.
Would you say New York is the largest english city?
Would you say São PAulo is the largest portuguese city?
Would you say Mexico city is the largest spanish city?

Quote:Berlin is the thrid largest Turkish ctiy.
LOL, really? you have that many turks over there?
(July 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Would you say New York is the largest english city?

Well, lingualy speaking yes.
Austria and Germany, despite their differences have deep cultural ties.
Are there no such ties between Portugal and Brazil???

Quote:LOL, really? you have that many turks over there?

Yeah during the 1960s and 1970s the German economy was growing so fast that they "imported" Turks to work in the factories. Most of them stayed and we now have a very large Turkish minority.
(July 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Austria and Germany, despite their differences have deep cultural ties.
Are there no such ties between Portugal and Brazil???

Err.... not a lot....
For some reason that eludes me, they still want their language to be called portuguese, but it is farther from PT-portuguese than US-english is from UK-english.
It's not just the accent, it's the grammar, the way they write words (orthography). They seem unable to use the second person of the singular from any verb, they always go for the third, even when addressing the other person directly.

Tongue

I'm sooo confused...
(July 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Language.

like Rio and Sao Paulo still being Portugese lingualy.

Berlin is the thrid largest Turkish ctiy.

Montreal is the second largest French-speaking city.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(July 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Ok, this probably means jackshit to most members but to me it is a complete suprise......... or not.

Vienna use to be a kind of really posh place for richer uperclass type Austrian and rich bavarians. But has in the recent years gained massively in population due to the low student fees (none) and the dropping housing prices in the non posh ereas.

I still hate the place and especialy it`s people like a cyst on my scrotum, but I am still suprised how this social development took place within a timeframe of only 5 to 10 years and that the awsome city Hamburg now is no longer the second largest german city.
"The Balkans start in the slums of Vienna"
(July 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Would you say New York is the largest english city?

Quote:Berlin is the thrid largest Turkish ctiy.
LOL, really? you have that many turks over there?

I am a Turk from Berlin. Or at least I used to be some time ago. Even then I was kind of a stranger amongst the Turks there, because I wasn't born in Germany. I only lived there for three years.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack. Jehanne 50 2822 January 12, 2023 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I am become German, destroyer of sausages. I_am_not_mafia 26 1243 October 21, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Learning Hindi as a second language Alexmahone 2 496 June 5, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Can I rant for a second, about parents NuclearEnergy 12 2203 December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  The German Language Rhondazvous 68 4806 January 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Town or City for you? Foxaèr 47 4808 October 4, 2015 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2515 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Learning German, advice or help appreciated! Aroura 57 6044 September 12, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Which one is the largest barn in the US? rado84 17 1754 July 22, 2015 at 5:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The most ridiculous city names in the US rado84 47 8588 July 16, 2015 at 1:19 am
Last Post: c172