Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misrepresenting our Founding Fathers (to include other notable free-thinkers)
Misrepresenting our Founding Fathers (to include other notable free-thinkers)
I've found myself in few uncomfortable situations where people quote mine the Founding Fathers to justify some of their views on modern politics. However, in many cases, sometimes these quotes are completely out-of-place/out-of-context, and sometimes they're just downright fabricated.

Take this CNN article I just read about Thomas Jefferson and see for yourself how the debate on guns has brought our "paradoxical" 200-year old man to the forefront of the discussion when, in many cases, he should not be included at all.

Jefferson and Guns

Research is very important in representing yourself well in an argument, and knowing how to do a simple Google search on the internet can mean the difference between, for example, advocating for gay rights and downright squashing them beneath your ignorant foot.
RE: Misrepresenting our Founding Fathers (to include other notable free-thinkers)
The fact that anyone quotes anyone else from 200 fucking years ago to somehow try and justify their own views is pretty laughable in my opinion.

For example, I've heard some people quote the 'founding fathers' to support their own views of freedom, yet many of these people from 200 years ago kept slaves. Seems a tad contradictory. IMO we're living in a very different world to what the founding fathers were back then, so quoting them as though they have any say/authority on matters of today is usually misguided and irrelevant.
RE: Misrepresenting our Founding Fathers (to include other notable free-thinkers)
(July 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm)Napoléon Wrote: The fact that anyone quotes anyone else from 200 fucking years ago to somehow try and justify their own views is pretty laughable in my opinion.

For example, I've heard some people quote the 'founding fathers' to support their own views of freedom, yet many of these people from 200 years ago kept slaves. Seems a tad contradictory. IMO we're living in a very different world to what the founding fathers were back then, so quoting them as though they have any say/authority on matters of today is usually misguided and irrelevant.

According to this article, Jefferson only toted a gun around on his walks to keep a slave revolution from breaking out.
Invented quotes and mis-attributed quotes are the stock in trade for fundie assholes who are seeking to show that the Deists who wrote the Constitution were good evangelical xtians and that fucking jesus hand-delivered the constitution to them.

One of them, David Barton (sorry, Rahul...yet another Texas asswipe!) has made a cottage industry out of re-writing history to put a jesus face on it.
I think there was a story about an actual asswipe that had Jesus' face on it after it was used.

[Image: jesus-jesus-dog-ass-demotivational-.jpg]

Okay, I couldn't find the story, but the dog's jesus ass was the next best thing!
No too long ago religious fucktards decided to alter Texas's education system to minimize Jefferson in our schools. Don't want to teach the kids things like the Jefferson Bible.

Quote:The Jefferson Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth as it is formally titled, was a book constructed by Thomas Jefferson in the latter years of his life by cutting and pasting (literally with scissors and glue) numerous sections from the New Testament as extractions of the doctrine of Jesus. Jefferson's condensed composition is especially notable for its exclusion of all miracles by Jesus and most mentions of the supernatural, including sections of the four gospels which contain the Resurrection and most other miracles, and passages indicating Jesus was divine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(July 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm)Rahul Wrote:
Quote:The Jefferson Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth as it is formally titled, was a book constructed by Thomas Jefferson in the latter years of his life by cutting and pasting (literally with scissors and glue) numerous sections from the New Testament as extractions of the doctrine of Jesus. Jefferson's condensed composition is especially notable for its exclusion of all miracles by Jesus and most mentions of the supernatural, including sections of the four gospels which contain the Resurrection and most other miracles, and passages indicating Jesus was divine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

I had forgotten about this! Thanks for the reminder! It's a good telling of what kind of man Jefferson was in his latter years.

The following is a powerpoint presentation given by a member of one of my critical thinking clubs. It contains many useful quotes and other information.

(3 MB)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I loved all the quotes in the Powerpoint. It's quite clear that not only were the majority of the Founding Fathers Deists, but they advocated strongly for the Separation of Church and State. Thomas Jefferson may have been a practicing Christian later on in his life, but isn't that also the time when he created the Jefferson Bible? How interesting...
No, late on in his life he had figured out that xtiantiy was total shit.

Quote:"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. "

Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to John Adams, April 11, 1823.

Jefferson died in 1826 at the age of 83 so, he was 80 when he wrote this to Adams.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Founding fathers view of government Won2blv 38 2409 March 21, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Winning By a Landslide and other politicspeak onlinebiker 11 576 October 23, 2020 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Naturally. Crooks Like Other Crooks Minimalist 0 153 October 16, 2018 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The west's other face WinterHold 24 2499 September 25, 2018 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Pieces of each other WinterHold 2 476 November 24, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Supreme Court Cases (and other interesting cases) - A Thread! TheRealJoeFish 11 3584 June 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  White people assuming other white people like Trump Sterben 81 11584 April 1, 2017 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Facts Are For Other People Minimalist 8 837 March 29, 2017 at 5:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Among Other Things The WLB Will Fuck Up Is the internet. Minimalist 17 2705 January 24, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Good ideas from the other side. paulpablo 13 2183 May 29, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Whateverist