Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:48 am

Poll: How do you feel about AtheistForums.org?
This poll is closed.
Inclusivity: Too many voices are lost through poor treatment.
2.44%
2 2.44%
Inclusivity: About right.
15.85%
13 15.85%
Inclusivity: Too much, we are inundated with preaching, craziness and hatefulness.
0%
0 0%
Usefulness: Not very, but that isn't why I'm here.
3.66%
3 3.66%
Usefulness: I sometimes learn something or at least clarify what I think or feel here.
15.85%
13 15.85%
Usefulness: It has made a big difference for me in ways which I might elaborate on.
1.22%
1 1.22%
Socially: I don't feel accepted or like I really belong.
0%
0 0%
Socially: I feel connected; lots of people here are caring and express concern for others.
15.85%
13 15.85%
Socially: Some of the most important people in my life are here (as pathetic as that sounds to admit).
1.22%
1 1.22%
Fun: It is one big attractive nuisance that sucks my life away.
3.66%
3 3.66%
Fun: It's okay but that isn't what I come here for.
3.66%
3 3.66%
Fun: It's very cool. Lots of humor, creativity and nerdy fun.
18.29%
15 18.29%
Censorship: My voice is constantly stifled. This place is run by a tyrant and his henchmen for their own nefarious purposes.
0%
0 0%
Censorship: A good balance is struck between encouraging freedom of speech while maintaining some degree of civility.
15.85%
13 15.85%
Censorship: I often wish the banhammer would come out faster to keep the place from filling up with bullshit.
2.44%
2 2.44%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF-org is nearly 5 years old. How is everyone doing?
AF-org is nearly 5 years old. How is everyone doing?
I've just been skimming through some of the earliest posts looking to see who has been on since the beginning and how people have changed. I believe these forums become 5 years old toward the beginning of next month but please correct me if you know better. I've been posting here for only a couple years and have enjoyed very much. So I'm curious how others are feeling about how its going.

If any of the original members would care to regale us with stories from the 'olden days' it would be great to read them. I'm also curious how relative newbies like myself feel about how the forums have changed over time and how they feel about the directions it has taken. I would most of all like to address that question to Tiberius. Has it surprised you in any ways and do you like what it has become?

It might be interesting to give Tiberius and the gang some feedback. My preference would be for everyone to vote for just the one option in each category which best describes your experience on AthiestForums.org, but if you feel more than one really fit go for it.
RE: AF-org is nearly 5 years old. How is everyone doing?
Well frankly, I think the standard of religious fucktard has gone down the shitter. Is it just me are or they getting more and more lame? Where's the originality gone?!
They have no originality - just the same old shit. I haven't been here since the beginning, though.
I havent even been on this forum for half a year (if one accounts for the 2 months I was gone)
(July 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Where's the originality gone?!

The playbook hasn't changed much in the past twenty centuries.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
it felt nuts when I joined. it took a while to get accepted. I enjoyed it though and feel it's developed nicely, in favour of opening up to theists, obviously something in my interest. Tiberius has been a rock. We've had our dramas and falling outs. miraculously it seems we're still together. I feel I've made some great friends. I've learned some, and continue to learn, and that's the best bit.
I think we should plan a 5 year event. Tibs and the staff digging up some memorable moments etc. That'd be great.

Some highlights from me

Some awesome theists. Well Christians. Big Grin Arcanus > Ryft a fantastic example. John Paul his precursor who blinded us with technical speak at the tender age of 17, and went on to fake his own death on another form. And the multitude of short stay theists solid as a rock in their awesome theology
The tenacious void and tavarish, fervent, verbose atheists who delved deeper than anyone IMO. void who went on to study philosophy and tav who created a blog stalking Ryft.
Our existentialist period with young Violet and purple rabbit that confusingly annoyed dutch man.
The great schism caused I think by our first queen eilonnwy, who first, in my opinion, let her new admin powers lead to bunny boiler tendancies and upset people badly, so much so that Tibs was on the verge of closing down. After that, in some people's opinion, turned militant feminist and left in a huff.
We had a nemesis forum created by members that the hurt and wounded fled to. Slowly wounds healed and most people returned and we pretty much continued as we were before.
Then we hit the modern incarnation you all know and love.
We appreciate all and any kind of feedback, so keep your suggestions coming.

(July 22, 2013 at 4:33 pm)whateverist Wrote: I believe these forums become 5 years old toward the beginning of next month but please correct me if you know better.
I tend to go by the date I first created my account (which was the first account), and that was 25th August 2008 at 17:47:03 GMT. So, we've got just over a month to go.

Quote:If any of the original members would care to regale us with stories from the 'olden days' it would be great to read them.
I'm actually wondering how many of the original atheistforum.com (note the lack of the 's') gang are still here. Darwinian and I are still active; Ace doesn't come around too often. I've forgotten who else there was.

Quote:I would most of all like to address that question to Tiberius. Has it surprised you in any ways and do you like what it has become?
I originally created the forum because I was sick and tired of forums which would either ban theists or have people jump all over them and generally be nasty. At the same time, I didn't want to limit people's freedom of speech. It's been a tough 5 years; we've been through so many rule changes relating to expression, but the community has pulled through and I think what we have now is a nice balance. It's not as limiting as "don't be a dick"; it's more "don't be too much of a dick".

It's certainly surprised me how popular we've become, especially since we aren't viewed as one of the "big" forums. We're usually within the top 5 results for a search of "atheist forums", and we get a large number of visitors every month. Our community has supported us in so many ways financially too, so we've got a nice powerful server that should last us for many more years to come.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm pretty sure we were the first (or at least one of the first) atheist forums to have theist moderators, and then later theist administrators. That is something I'm very proud of. I think it speaks wonders of a community that they can trust and respect the people in charge despite religious differences.
Well, I think this forum is utterly sickening ... and it stinks ... and I hate it ... that's why I'm an admin and I post cat memes. Tongue

(July 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Some awesome theists. Well Christians. Big Grin ... No, oops, and a Muslim.

Fixed that one little mistake.
You're way too cool to be a muslim, Rayaan.

Some imam is going to put a fatwa out on you and then we'll be fucked!
(July 22, 2013 at 10:43 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(July 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Some awesome theists. Well Christians. Big Grin ... No, oops, and a Muslim.

Fixed that one little mistake.

Nah no awesome Muslims Wink One odd deist Muslim New Yorker plastic surgery victim Big Grin

Giz a hug {{{hugging}}}

:p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Short Years Foxaèr 6 699 March 15, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: brewer
  How are our Northern USians doing? arewethereyet 6 727 February 23, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What's everybody doing for National Drinking Day? GUBU 23 1704 March 19, 2022 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  US China war 70 years later Apollo 10 712 December 14, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Most memorable New Years onlinebiker 8 561 January 1, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  45 years later, at a sports bar....... Brian37 4 429 September 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do you imagine the world millions of years from now? Macoleco 34 3513 April 15, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Star Trek Fans on AF.org vulcanlogician 66 4535 March 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  New Years Resolutions? paulpablo 24 1667 January 4, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Atheistforums.org sucks... FirstPoet 20 2617 December 24, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Brian37