Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
free at last
free at last
Hello Everyone,

I am a newly de-converted Christian. I “accepted Jesus into my heart” thirteen years ago when I was thirty-two years old, and immediately following my second failed marriage. I sold the few remaining items I had retained following the financial devastation of the divorces, and I moved out of California. My sense at the time I now see as reckless; reckless in the sense that I had no real plan for my next step after arriving in a new place, or once there, how I would change my behaviors to prohibit repetition of my mistakes. I was simply running away from my problems without being prepared to face them when they would inevitably return.

I raised my hand at a Pentecostal church in New Mexico and I was baptized the following week. I immediately felt a sense of ease (or something) come over me as I was raised from my watery symbolic grave into the resurrected life in the Spirit of Jesus Christ; and I believed it ALL to be true in that instant. Within a month of my big move I was back in California, and I was eager to begin “making my life right“. I joined a church and started my search for a “Christian wife”. (At this point I will insert a time-lapse of the thirteen years that have passed since that time, and I will attempt to moderately demonstrate my de-conversion.)

I found my “Christian wife”, married her, divorced her five years later, and I am now happily re-married to her after a five year separation, and without the dogma (that’s another story). I’ve been the worship leader in three separate churches. I’ve lead bible studies. I’ve done street evangelism, “miracle healings”, attended and lead workshops on, of all things, “supernatural thinking”; the list of reckless behaviors continued on into the absurd. As I stated earlier, I had not learned to think properly about my interactions with life in general, hence the dysfunction in my marriages and my outright strident zeal for my blind faith. It was time to wake up!

About two years ago I began to take note of the inconsistencies in the teachings of the church, and the hypocritical behaviors and gaping divisions among not only denominations, but also among individuals within single congregations. I was unable to shake my own sense guilt for having become the very thing I criticized the most, and I started asking real, hard questions. I was quickly marginalized for thinking independently, and I was asked to leave the church were I “faithfully” served for more than eight years.

These past two years since then have been the clincher for me in my full de-conversion. I have continued to attend a regular Monday through Friday bible study at a local coffee shop, and in this time I have observed so much strife, discord and enmity among “brothers and sisters” within that bible study that I kept my head low while keeping a mental log of the proceedings. One by one the attendance dropped from fifteen regulars to just three (now two). I continued attending the group in an effort to solidify my evolving thoughts, and to gain further evidence against faith. I did so also in the hopes of offering some sound reasoning to the remaining members.

As of late, my two former bible study buddies have been complimenting me on the clarity of my thoughts, and the cogency of my arguments. Little are they aware that these the products of my free thinking and sincere skepticism. I have not told these guys I am an atheist, but I think one of them may suspect that I am on the fence (I’m over the fence). I would like to continue in relationship with these men who I consider to me my friends, and who I believe, likewise consider me their friend (at least for now), but I am skeptical that they will be willing to do so once they know of my confession.

I have told my wife who is still Christian, and is convinced that I am going through a phase. She accepts that I have a strong will, and she may even be preparing for a long ride, but I am not certain she can fully understand what has happened to me while she is still thinking in the ways of the Christian tradition. I love my wife and I will never leave her. I am certain that my wife will never leave me; even if she never awakens from her religious slumber, at least her religion affirms her "requirement" (I hate religion) to remain as my spouse until life’s end. The thing she won’t even consider is; what if this life ends, and that is all there is? That has made all the difference for me, and now I embrace life as the precious and fragile thing it is.

I have been freed from religious chains and tyranny. I will never go back to that prison, and I will free as many captives as I am able to. Yes, I will preach truth, and as I once swore to the god I no longer believe in… “The truth will come from my lips, and the truth will set people free.”. I would have at one time called that a prophecy, now I know it’s just common sense.

Also, can you all suggest ways in which I can come out as an atheist to my Christian friends? The ones I have told so far have effectively proven my points on hypocrisy to be accurate. I have been told that I can no longer be associated with and that I was never a true believer, (if true believer means writing off friends for holding skepticism, then I can say no, I have never done that). I WAS having some trepidations about debating Christians, but whenever I am able to find one who will remain in a reasonable conversation, I find myself being more than equipped to argue a persuasive debate, and I’m finding that the faithful quickly lose faith, and retreat.

Thanks for letting me say hello!!
RE: free at last
Welcome!
This copy + pasting of the same thing is a bit discouraged, you know?
I didn't want to read and run, as I can't really answer your last question with any kind of authority. When my de-conversion happened, I didn't feel the need to reveal the fact to my friends, however as you have been in a position of relative wisdom on religious matters in the past (and I take it your friends see you as a kind of mentor in that regard), I can see why you might feel you should.

The best way to tell them I would say, is to wait until they either bring up religion around you, or ask you directly. This may seem less evasive than seeking to inform them directly as though you were proselytizing; which let's face it, believers always think atheists do when they announce their atheism. Or, you could just be totally blunt about it and tell them "hey, by the way, you know how I was a big believer in Christ and was a worship leader and all that? Well, surprise! I am an atheist! Ha-ha, fuck your Jesus!". Either way, they won't be happy. And you will lose many of them as friends.

I did see this process as a sort of cleansing though, and I'd encourage you to view it in much of the same way. The friends you had who truly appreciated you as a person, and not just for what you believed in, will stand by you no matter what path you take in life. De-conversion is a blessing in disguise, in this regard. Regardless, welcome to the forum, your intro was a good read. I just joined tonight myself.
(July 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome!
This copy + pasting of the same thing is a bit discouraged, you know?

Thank you for your welcome and for the advice. I am new here and I wanted to post in various categories to see where I would find the breatest response. I appreciate the heads up.
(July 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Also, can you all suggest ways in which I can come out as an atheist to my Christian friends? The ones I have told so far have effectively proven my points on hypocrisy to be accurate. I have been told that I can no longer be associated with and that I was never a true believer, (if true believer means writing off friends for holding skepticism, then I can say no, I have never done that).

call yourself an atheist if they have a problem with it pull your cock out and smack em with it
(July 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm)Slave Wrote: I didn't want to read and run, as I can't really answer your last question with any kind of authority. When my de-conversion happened, I didn't feel the need to reveal the fact to my friends, however as you have been in a position of relative wisdom on religious matters in the past (and I take it your friends see you as a kind of mentor in that regard), I can see why you might feel you should.

The best way to tell them I would say, is to wait until they either bring up religion around you, or ask you directly. This may seem less evasive than seeking to inform them directly as though you were proselytizing; which let's face it, believers always think atheists do when they announce their atheism. Or, you could just be totally blunt about it and tell them "hey, by the way, you know how I was a big believer in Christ and was a worship leader and all that? Well, surprise! I am an atheist! Ha-ha, fuck your Jesus!". Either way, they won't be happy. And you will lose many of them as friends.

I did see this process as a sort of cleansing though, and I'd encourage you to view it in much of the same way. The friends you had who truly appreciated you as a person, and not just for what you believed in, will stand by you no matter what path you take in life. De-conversion is a blessing in disguise, in this regard. Regardless, welcome to the forum, your intro was a good read. I just joined tonight myself.

Thank you! Your words are very encouraging and transparently honest. I am finding that non-believers are generally more accepting of diversity in thought, and seem to be much more genuine. I too am sensing a cleansing process, and I am excited by the evolving new world I have found... a world which now includes people like you, and perhaps many others I would have at one time disregarded because our beliefs differed.

Thank you for your sincere welcome, and welcome to you as well. I'm sure we'll be seeing one another here often.

(July 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm)cratehorus Wrote:
(July 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Also, can you all suggest ways in which I can come out as an atheist to my Christian friends? The ones I have told so far have effectively proven my points on hypocrisy to be accurate. I have been told that I can no longer be associated with and that I was never a true believer, (if true believer means writing off friends for holding skepticism, then I can say no, I have never done that).

call yourself an atheist if they have a problem with it pull your cock out and smack em with it

That probably won't support rational thinking in them. I'll pass.
You could try to reason with him about god existing is impossible. Of course, I'd ill advise it, as I have tried to do that in the past and it failed. The people who are really religious nuts are so stuck on their ways that any sort of hard question against them is seen as an attack. I remember asking them why they didn't consider god to be the greatest mass murderer in human history because he was all knowing and omnipresent. So if he knew that lucifer was just going to create evil, why do it? And their following and oh so intelligent answer was "well the bible says its true so it must be true!!!!" They just put faith in a book that states that it is a self evident truth. You might as well believe the Internet because a website says everything you see here is true! I've just never been able to understand this accepted insanity, this cultural phenomenon. And I don't think I ever will.

To me, religion is like a dick. You can be happy to have one and have it be big, but don't go around fucking shoving it down people's throats. They won't appreciate that.

You could try to reason with him about god existing is impossible. Of course, I'd ill advise it, as I have tried to do that in the past and it failed. The people who are really religious nuts are so stuck on their ways that any sort of hard question against them is seen as an attack. I remember asking them why they didn't consider god to be the greatest mass murderer in human history because he was all knowing and omnipresent. So if he knew that lucifer was just going to create evil, why do it? And their following and oh so intelligent answer was "well the bible says its true so it must be true!!!!" They just put faith in a book that states that it is a self evident truth. You might as well believe the Internet because a website says everything you see here is true! I've just never been able to understand this accepted insanity, this cultural phenomenon. And I don't think I ever will.

Wierd, a double post :/
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy your new found freedom.

Perhaps searching for some literature written by others that have gone through the deconversion process would help. Alas, that is the best advice I can offer never having gone through it myself.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Thank you for your considerate advice. I have been looking for some good books to read on the subject. And yes, I am enjoying my emancipation.
Try reading some books on the scientific theory of evolution. Charles Darwin's book on origin of species and Jerry coyne's why evolution is true. Should shed some light on the subject. Most religious people hate evolution and say that it is false without basic understanding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  free of religion, free of lies (maybe) dragonfly19981 12 2087 December 3, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  last poet is a liar lastpoetlies 63 13670 September 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  When I last thought... Einharjar 18 3242 October 24, 2013 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Tonus
  At long last... SilverFrog 7 3175 February 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist