Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific Morality! It's about time!
Scientific Morality! It's about time!
The work of neuroscientist Sam Harris about The Science of Morality have been widely criticized. The question remains however if such objections are valid or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_of_morality

Considering the subjective limitations of Higher Education and normative morality, thinking outside the box might just be the way to solve the worlds problems.

I tend to agree that morality can not be subjected to the God idea.
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
RE: Scientific Morality! It's about time!
I notice you have a thing against higher education, as evidenced by your quote from Bertrand Russell.

I actually want to address the signature. You took it out of context, see.

The important thing to remember is that Russell didn't mean this as a general-purpose aphorism.

This comes from Russell's account of historical developments in philosophy, the part where he's describing the theories of Claude Adrien Helvétius (1715-1771).

Helvétius held that differences in intelligence - between genius and stupidity - were entirely down to differences in education (as opposed to differences in inborn capacity). Hence, if someone is stupid, in Helvetius' view, a poor education has made them that way.
Source is from Google Books, The basic writings of Bertrand Russell, 1903-1959: http://books.google.com/books?id=gO1IP81...&q&f=false
(July 25, 2013 at 8:12 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I notice you have a thing against higher education, as evidenced by your quote from Bertrand Russell.

I actually want to address the signature. You took it out of context, see.

The important thing to remember is that Russell didn't mean this as a general-purpose aphorism.

This comes from Russell's account of historical developments in philosophy, the part where he's describing the theories of Claude Adrien Helvétius (1715-1771).

Helvétius held that differences in intelligence - between genius and stupidity - were entirely down to differences in education (as opposed to differences in inborn capacity). Hence, if someone is stupid, in Helvetius' view, a poor education has made them that way.
Source is from Google Books, The basic writings of Bertrand Russell, 1903-1959: http://books.google.com/books?id=gO1IP81...&q&f=false
Try and keep to the topic of the thread. You can take up your personal issues in a new thread.
Bertrand Russell

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
Bertrand Russell
My personal issues, eh?
(July 25, 2013 at 8:07 am)Attie Wrote: The work of neuroscientist Sam Harris about The Science of Morality have been widely criticized. The question remains however if such objections are valid or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_of_morality

Considering the subjective limitations of Higher Education and normative morality, thinking outside the box might just be the way to solve the worlds problems.

I tend to agree that morality can not be subjected to the God idea.

I find it extremely amusing that you are the one making this post, given that a lot of its content goes against your own position.

First of all, given that study of neuroscience, psychology and sociology seem to be the basis for the science of morality - so I'd say that it sits squarely inside the box of Higher Education.

Also, the idea here is to develop a normative ethical system using science, so whatever "subjective limitations" you imagine for any normative morality, would apply here as well.

And then there is the fact that its method of resolving Hume's is-ought problem is setting the goal of morality as "maximizing welfare".

But the part I find funniest of all - the part that really cracks me up - is this bit right here.

Wikipedia Wrote:science of morality instead tentatively advocates general values (like high degrees of free speech) or rules of thumb (like the Golden Rule).
This is the thing about assumptions. There is a lot of assumptions about my opinion on education but none of you know what my opinion or my education levels are. Am I willing to go there? No!

Somehow stupid arguments pulls the rug from underneath those that so gets "cracked up" by it.

So the GR is still bullshit and moving outside the box is the way I'm happy to be. You can call me whatever you like but fact remains that I disagree!ROFLOL
Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell
(July 25, 2013 at 9:10 am)Attie Wrote: This is the thing about assumptions. There is a lot of assumptions about my opinion on education but none of you know what my opinion or my education levels are. Am I willing to go there? No!

If your signature quote happens to say that men are made stupid by education, then anyone's view on your opinion of educations is not an assumption but a reasonable deduction.

(July 25, 2013 at 9:10 am)Attie Wrote: Somehow stupid arguments pulls the rug from underneath those that so gets "cracked up" by it.

So the GR is still bullshit and moving outside the box is the way I'm happy to be. You can call me whatever you like but fact remains that I disagree!ROFLOL

So, you think the golden rule is bullshit and yet you post an article about something that advocates the golden rule. Am I the only one sensing stupidity here?
(July 25, 2013 at 9:22 am)genkaus Wrote:
(July 25, 2013 at 9:10 am)Attie Wrote: This is the thing about assumptions. There is a lot of assumptions about my opinion on education but none of you know what my opinion or my education levels are. Am I willing to go there? No!

If your signature quote happens to say that men are made stupid by education, then anyone's view on your opinion of educations is not an assumption but a reasonable deduction.

(July 25, 2013 at 9:10 am)Attie Wrote: Somehow stupid arguments pulls the rug from underneath those that so gets "cracked up" by it.

So, you think the golden rule is bullshit and yet you post an article about something that advocates the golden rule. Am I the only one sensing stupidity here?
Sure you're the one sensing stupidity, but there could be many more like you. It does make your sensing any more or less valid if you keep missing the point of the argument.
Bertrand Russell

Bertrand Russell
Actually that makes two so far that have deduced from your signature and also things you have said in other threads that you seem to have beef with higher education. That's just that I know of, and if I look through those threads a bit closer, that number will probably be higher.
[Image: wps3.jpg]
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6607 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Morality Kingpin 101 5603 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6247 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8843 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality Agnostico 337 36191 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4138 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160108 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2555 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 59394 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 45382 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok