Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study
Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study
Warning: Please take with a pinch of salt as it's not 100% accurate.
Quote:Author and noted biopsychologist Nigel Barber has completed a new study that shows Atheism is most prevalent in developed countries, and, according to his projections, religion will completely disappear by 2041. His findings are discussed in his new book “Why Atheism Will Replace Religion.” A new study that clarifies his earlier research will be published in August. His findings focus on studying trends within countries around the world and the fact that “Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries”
http://guardianlv.com/2013/07/religion-t...new-study/
I am optimistic but only time will tell and further research will be needed. Also I feel this is a little too optimistic.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Religion to Disappear By 2041 Claims New Study
(July 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Warning: Please take with a pinch of salt as it's not 100% accurate.
Quote:Author and noted biopsychologist Nigel Barber has completed a new study that shows Atheism is most prevalent in developed countries, and, according to his projections, religion will completely disappear by 2041. His findings are discussed in his new book “Why Atheism Will Replace Religion.” A new study that clarifies his earlier research will be published in August. His findings focus on studying trends within countries around the world and the fact that “Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries”
http://guardianlv.com/2013/07/religion-t...new-study/
I am optimistic but only time will tell and further research will be needed. Also I feel this is a little too optimistic.

How can religion disappear? I think the author means people will no longer go to church or believe in God.

But religions disappear? That sounds like the grammatical fallacy in "the war on terrorism". No matter how many wars we fight or how many people stop believing in God, the words "terrorism" and "religion" will always be in the dictionary.
(July 28, 2013 at 8:42 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:
(July 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Warning: Please take with a pinch of salt as it's not 100% accurate.

How can religion disappear? I think the author means people will no longer go to church or believe in God.

But religions disappear? That sounds like the grammatical fallacy in "the war on terrorism". No matter how many wars we fight or how many people stop believing in God, the words "terrorism" and "religion" will always be in the dictionary.
I think he means that Religious practise will no longer visible in the mainstream culture and it will be more personal and religious buildings will be repurposed, I think, that's my 2 cents.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
This was already posted somewhere on here. But I don't buy it. I think it will take a lot longer than 30 years or so for religion to completely die out here in the U.S., let alone around the world. I think that we will be a more secular country then but there will always be bible bangers among us.

I mean, look at the statistics as they stand now. 80% Christian population, something like 46% believe in biblical creationism over evolution. It's going to take a lot of education to change this. I'm hopeful, but not that hopeful.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(July 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I mean, look at the statistics as they stand now. 80% Christian population, something like 46% believe in biblical creationism over evolution.

Panic

4 Horsemen
In the past the USs population have dropped religion in large numbers until revival fever swept through and won most of the population back to religion.

I'd like to think that wouldn't happen again but I'm afraid that would be a hasty view.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
I think xtianity has shot its load.
(July 29, 2013 at 10:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I think xtianity has shot its load.

I hope you're right.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new religion: New Age Hedonism Transcended Dimensions 20 4511 October 2, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  How to start a new sect/new religion for dummies. Brian37 28 4106 April 11, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4494 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why all god claims fail. Brian37 103 13212 April 21, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Shadow_Man
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10698 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2130 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4511 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4494 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19748 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon