Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic
Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic
Read and weep:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ck_check=1
RE: Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic
(July 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm)little_monkey Wrote: Read and weep:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ck_check=1

I particularly liked:
Quote:At one point, opponent Dena Stewart-Gore of Louisville also suggested that the standards will marginalize students with religious beliefs,
leading to ridicule and physiological harm in the classroom, and create difficulties for students with learning disabilities.

Physiological harm? What the actual fuck?
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
The epidemic of stupid people. WHEN WILL IT END!?
Isn't the woman who worries learning disabled kids can't hack real science actually stating, in effect, that creationism is optimized for retards?

Huh...

Damn, y'all beat me to it! Smile
Teaching evolution will lead to genocide... Wacky
As a Kentuckian, and an American, what I find disturbing and annoying is that so many people are so easily swayed by people who bring no appropriate scientific skill sets or credentials to the table. What I find even more annoying is that these people who bring no appropriate scientific skill sets or credentials to the table expect to be treated as peers. It's like expecting to survive heart surgery performed by a dish washer. It is a sad statement about the state of education today, and is the primary reason it needs to change.

(July 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm)festive1 Wrote: Teaching evolution will lead to genocide... Wacky

Maybe it will. Who knows what the creationists will do if they don't get their way. Yes, I believe some of them are that desperate.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Quote:and create difficulties for students with learning disabilities.

There is no bigger learning disability than a pre-existing belief in fucking jesus.
(July 29, 2013 at 8:27 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Maybe it will. Who knows what the creationists will do if they don't get their way. Yes, I believe some of them are that desperate.

They believe that it was moral for god to wipe out all but eight people and a boat full of animals in the past, and who knows how many billions in the future. A few million in the interim probably doesn't seem like such a big deal to them.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I get the impression of "My opinion is as valuable as your facts"...
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Well here we go again... It'll never end.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science is inherently atheistic blue grey brain 259 12327 December 13, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1279 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Science, the Bible and Satan Haipule 9 2374 November 16, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: John V
  The science of joy and happiness Detective L Ryuzaki 15 3848 September 7, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Science and Philosophy popsthebuilder 13 2674 June 25, 2015 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What's Being Called A Breakthrough in Fusion Minimalist 11 1900 March 4, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Science and the story it tells TheBeardedDude 10 2525 October 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7686 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science and Randomness Mark 13:13 49 12646 January 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Questions about God and Science Akincana Krishna dasa 95 27694 October 23, 2012 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda