Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shit that Jesus Freaks Hate to Hear
Shit that Jesus Freaks Hate to Hear
Rather than being oh-so-special the early Israelites were just like everyone else in the ANE.

Tough titties, jesus freaks!

http://www.bibleinterp.com/opeds/2013/07...8029.shtml

Quote:The epigraphic material about “national theodicy” provides a rather nice window into the broader world of the ancient Near East. For example, in a monumental inscription commissioned during the 9th century by King Mesha of Moab, he (Mesha) states that his country had been brought under the hegemony of the Northern Kingdom of Israel during the reign of the powerful Israelite King Omri (cf. 2 Kgs 3). Notice especially the language Mesha uses in his stele so as to account for Moab’s military losses: “Omri the King of Israel subjugated Moab for many days because Kemosh was angry with his land.” Kemosh was the national God of the Moabites and this inscription demonstrates that just as the Israelites and Judeans could attribute their military defeats to Yahweh’s anger (that is, to their national God), so also the Moabites could attribut their military defeat’s to Kemosh’s anger. In short, with the change of the divine name (i.e., replacing the name Kemosh with the name Yahweh), the language used in the Mesha Stele could be from a page out of the Hebrew Bible, as the sentiments are so similar. Thus, the Deuteronomistic means of accounting for serious military losses (the anger of God) is not unique to the Hebrew Bible at all. Rather, it is found within a 9th century Moabite monumental inscription as well.
RE: Shit that Jesus Freaks Hate to Hear
I suppose this would apply to our newest mormon member, as well. They think this OT crap is real, too.
RE: Shit that Jesus Freaks Hate to Hear
I never thought Israelites were any different from your average self aggradizing xenophobia superstitious yokel of the ancient world, nor was Jesus any different from the more lazy, no good, self-important wackos of the least respectable parts of Israelite society.

Jesus was a counterfeit schekel a dozen, his disciples even cheaper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 943 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 5393 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  hate WinterHold 11 1397 November 21, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10544 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8474 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7131 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25208 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  What I love, What I hate, What I want, What I believe. WinterHold 9 1608 July 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Why They Hate Us brewer 1 812 June 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4098 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU