Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new video - Awaken To Astronomy
My new video - Awaken To Astronomy
This is a video of moderate length (19:36 minutes) celebrating astronomy.

All of the photos are mine, except the image of me, which was taken by another member of the LAS. In addition, there is a short SDO video of a corona mass ejection. Have patience with it (I know it is a bit long - what Yes song isn't?), and you won't be disappointed, but you may be mesmerized. I've tried to give the stars the feeling of motion, hopefully without being to hokey. There are some cool effects that will wow you, especially the final star sequence (with Vega changing colors). See if you can figure out who is talking at the very end during the credits. Enjoy,

Produced, directed, and edited by Ron Yates (me, so I take all the credit - blame).

Music - Awaken, by Yes

This video is dedicated to Angel

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: My new video - Awaken To Astronomy
As a fellow amateur astronomer, I say Bravo! some inspiring images. Are you on SGL by any chance?
(July 31, 2013 at 7:53 am)StuW Wrote: As a fellow amateur astronomer, I say Bravo! some inspiring images. Are you on SGL by any chance?

Erm, no, I've never heard of that drug. Cool Shades

What is SGL?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Thanks! Clap But couldn't you have used Yes's "Homeworld" instead, it's half the length and a much better song!
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
Stargazers Lounge

Although mainly UK/Europe members, it has ppl from all over, sort of Cloudy Nights European cousin.
(July 31, 2013 at 8:13 am)littleendian Wrote: Thanks! Clap But couldn't you have used Yes's "Homeworld" instead, it's half the length and a much better song!

Sorry. I disagree. I believe Awaken to be one of their best songs, and I think it fits the theme better, but that's just me. Homeworld may be a good choice for another video I might consider doing at another time.

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video New Gnostic video unlocks the dark significance of the Prodigal Son Gnostradamus 0 778 November 5, 2013 at 6:15 am
Last Post: Gnostradamus
  New OK Go music video: Needing/Getting Tiberius 0 1268 February 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Uneven Structure - Awaken theVOID 0 696 November 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  New Albert10110 video Kristoff 1 1357 February 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc