Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello new world!
Hello new world!
I can not claim that I'm new to atheism. When my mother died in 1983, I gave up on god, the church like the easter bunny, and santa before them. For years there has been alot of waffling about what I believed, and having faith and trying to "fit " in. It was all crap. Every time I would look at a new religion, or try to reclaim my imaginary friend from my youth, there was this knowledge, fact if you will that it was all crap. Picking apart each layer of the lies, falsehoods and down right crap was easy, all the while, knowing that if I just rely on my own sense of wrong and right, and work problems out with common sense and knowledge gained would get me through. I flirted with being an out of the closet atheist, but every time you look around, the only ones you see are wackjobs as bad as religious zealots, most likely sitting across a forum table. Who wants that. Then there's friends and family. None and I mean none of my family are religious. I think there's no problems there and most likely they will be okay with anything I do. I know I may lose some friends, but are they my friends to start with if they toss me and our friendships out like trash if they find out that I hold god and the tooth fairy in the same regard.
I do need to learn more. I have read " god no " by Penn and and have started listening to the Ardent Atheist. What other authors and podcasts are there for me to learn from. I know that for at least awhile, some folks are going to try to "bring me around", fat chance, but I need to be able to argue my points from facts that are true and well thought out. I never want to be that guy that says it's "just because", or turn into a dumbassed raver!
In the end I'd like to meet other atheists and be able to share ideas. Any help is good, and I pre-Thank You. One important question I do have. Do I just out myself to all my friends at once? I know it's stupid, and in truth, as long as the dog's still love me, alls well. Once again, Hello New World! It feels like great to finally be able to say with all honesty, I am an Atheist!
RE: Hello new world!
Welcome to your new religion. I'm sure your dogs will be pleased! Big Grin
Thank You, Thank You...and yes they are!!!
Yo hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thank You! I really feel good and like I belong.
Hello and welcome!

Depending on how many friends you have I would say it is a bad idea to out yourself to them all at once. You will be far outnumbered which could be challenging. I stuck with the "don't talk about religion unless they mention it and then tell them rule".

Good luck!
Any spelling mistakes are due to my godlessness!
Thank You! Most likely that was what I was going to do with all but my closest friends.
I don't feel the need to out myself at all (why does that sound rude! Smile). If it comes up in conversation, and it's relevant, I might add my 2d. Rarely I'll start off the topic. Very rarely. Doesn't matter how close the friendship. I gotta be honest. Honest just doesn't always entail regailing someone with my most inner justifications. I prefer to be open/ not make any commitments... that way I don't have to take a corner/ I'm free to say what the hell I like.
That sounds pretty smart, and I rarely say anything about religion anyway. It might seem like im saying accept this or else if I bring it up.

And it wasn't rude at all, I asked! :-)
Welcome Enjoy the forums.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello all! I'm new here. My de- conversion story. Short and sweet. Sinyail 2 2294 March 4, 2011 at 2:35 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko