Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beginning of The Universe theories
beginning of The Universe theories
This is a question i have wanted to ask atheists (and anyone else) for a long time. I would like to understand what you believe is the cause of the universe and the world's existance. Obviously Christians moslems and others believe in creation, and I think its true most or all atheists believe in a big bang theory.
i have read some about this theory and I can't find where the cause of it is explained. What do you think?
RE: beginning of The Universe theories
The thing is not every atheist will give you the same answere to that question.

There is no "atheist dogma" on how the universe started.
My stance is, "I don't know, but I refuse to fill that gap in knowledge with god without good evidence."

Besides, I have yet to have a theist explain to me how cause and effect works when time does not exist.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
What TGAC said. One atheist could explain to you the Big Bang Theory, while I would explain to you how the Great Green Arkleseizure sneezed the universe out of its nose.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm)John79 Wrote: This is a question i have wanted to ask atheists (and anyone else) for a long time. I would like to understand what you believe is the cause of the universe and the world's existance. Obviously Christians moslems and others believe in creation, and I think its true most or all atheists believe in a big bang theory.
i have read some about this theory and I can't find where the cause of it is explained. What do you think?

I can't find anywhere in all christaindom where the cause of god is attempted to be explained. Care to try and do better than all christian starting with Jesus?
(August 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm)John79 Wrote: I would like to understand what you believe is the cause of the universe and the world's existance.

* Nine shrugs

My best guess is it wasn't magic.
(August 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm)John79 Wrote: I would like to understand what you believe is the cause of the universe and the world's existance. ... I think its true most or all atheists believe in a big bang theory.

You are actually asking two different questions here. The cause for the universe? Probably no cause, but I don't know. No one knows. As for the Big Bang, that was the start as physicists (not atheists) have found out by evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyCkADmNdNo
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Quote:i have read some about this theory and I can't find where the cause of it is explained

You are assuming that causation existed at the beginning, when the laws of nature didn't exist, including the dimensions of time and space. As such, I see no reason to make that assumption.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
In the beginning, there was Me. I was (and still am) omnipotent, omniscient, immortal and invincible. In all My wisdom, I spawned one universe. From that universe, several species came to be and died off. Eventually, one being managed to ascend and join me as a god. Said god then spawned another universe, whereas I spawned a different one. From each universe a new god arose, and each god spawned their own universe. The cycle continued for countless eons, until this universe was spawned. That is now.
You've figured out a lot about the universe you came from, including what you refer to as the "Big Bang". It is true that your universe started out as a single point of "infinite" energy and "infinite" density. "Infinite" meaning "extremely high". If the point had actually been made of infinite energy and had infinite density, your universe as you know it would not have occurred.
Who oversees your universe, you might wonder? I do.

And that's the short version. If you want more info, PM me.

(Hey, it's better than what most religions made up, IMO)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
In the beginning, there was the word, and the word was, "Arrrgh!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 15600 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 4934 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1149 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 397 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2385 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1838 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Inflation without a beginning: a null boundary proposal Jehanne 7 911 May 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6166 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3820 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5890 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet